U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaephat View Post
I am looking at Charlotte & Dallas to start my new chapter in life. I will be graduating from graduate school soon. I am from Atlanta & don't want to move back. I will like to know:
1. Where are the nice parts to live in town? In comparison to Buckhead, Midtown or Highland areas in Atlanta
2. Is there a young professional population(30-40s)?
3. How diverse is Charlotte?
4. Are there many lounges/jazz clubs etc? NOT dance clubs(can't stand those anymore)
5. Is there a LA fitness here & where? Safe jogging trails?
6. How do you compare Charlotte to Atlanta?

Thanks for your input!
Now I think Charlotte is hot...Dallas is hell in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,739,548 times
There are actually quite a few jaz clubs in Charlotte. I am starting to wonder if peoples experiences are different according to there ethnicity. My wife and I are both African american and we know of 4 jazz clubs downtown(house of jazz is our favorite), along with about4 poetry and Jazz clubs in NoDA(wineup is our favorite) and also there are a couple of jazz and poetry spots in University near the lake. There is also a very nice young professional atmosphere(african-american definitely) here. We have no problem finding something to do.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,029,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
There are actually quite a few jaz clubs in Charlotte. I am starting to wonder if peoples experiences are different according to there ethnicity. My wife and I are both African american and we know of 4 jazz clubs downtown(house of jazz is our favorite), along with about4 poetry and Jazz clubs in NoDA(wineup is our favorite) and also there are a couple of jazz and poetry spots in University near the lake. There is also a very nice young professional atmosphere(african-american definitely) here. We have no problem finding something to do.
I'm glad you pointed this out. In Charlotte for young professionals NoDa Southend, Dilworth, and Elizabeth/Midtown would probably be the best spots. Check out Spirit square for great local performances. Charlotte is definitely not Dallas and can't be compared to the area really, but if you're used to Atlanta the vibe won't be too different.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 PM

587 posts, read 1,432,490 times
What is your graduate degree in?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,814,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Now I think Charlotte is hot...Dallas is hell in summer.
You can say that again. I lived in Dallas for 17 years and summer temperatures are often in the 100's.

Atlanta and Charlotte are hot in summer. Dallas is Hades itself.

Dallas will have the better economy. Charlotte will be prettier with more trees.

Dallas is not close to any wild places like forests. Charlotte is.

Dallas is the third largest retail area in the U.S. Not sure where Charlotte is on the list.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,311,457 times
Quote:
I went to wineup on a Wednesday -the place is a dump

House of Blues is hardly ever open (it would be nice if this place was open Mon to Sun.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,311,457 times
Quote:
What is quite a few? Can you name 6 please?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times
Sorry, but mrdkb is right.....both places dont qualify...

Old 10-08-2010, 11:39 AM

634 posts, read 1,206,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
What is quite a few? Can you name 6 please?
Apparently 4 is quite a few...but 2 of the 4 are hardly open

Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,029,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaephat View Post
I am looking at Charlotte & Dallas to start my new chapter in life. I will be graduating from graduate school soon. I am from Atlanta & don't want to move back. I will like to know:
1. Where are the nice parts to live in town? In comparison to Buckhead, Midtown or Highland areas in Atlanta
2. Is there a young professional population(30-40s)?
3. How diverse is Charlotte?
4. Are there many lounges/jazz clubs etc? NOT dance clubs(can't stand those anymore)
5. Is there a LA fitness here & where? Safe jogging trails?
6. How do you compare Charlotte to Atlanta?

Thanks for your input!
1. Dilworth, Southend, NoDa, Southpark, Myers Park, Ballantyne, Providence, Ayersley, Arboretum, and Elizabeth

2. There is definitely a sizeable young professional population here, especially in the first three neighborhoods on the list

3. Charlotte is very diverse. It's not Atlanta in that regard. But neither is it the capital of the KKK or Lagos. However, if you walk into Concord Mills or Southpark Mall it would be hard for you to say the area isn't diverse.

4. There are jazz lounges and jazz clubs. I would recommend hitting up the coffee shops. Back in the day I went Lava Java for there jazz nights. Also, spoken word poetry is big here but its mostly underground.

5. Like someone else said, not too many LA fitness but the YMCA is big here and they have great facilities. The one in NoDa in particular. Several running/biking trails. There is an excellent biking trail on Tyvola and Myers Park has got to be one of the most bicycler area in the city.

6. IMO, Charlotte is very comparable to Atlanta. They are both bigger Piedmont metros with relatively ok economies during this recession. Atlanta of course is bigger. If you take Atlanta and shrink it to 1/3 of its size, you would have Charlotte.

All that said, this is not Dallas. Dallas would probably give you that big city feel you're used to but Charlotte is a beast in its own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte