U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
am2 am2 started this thread

413 posts, read 743,182 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, people were talking about CLT becoming the next Atlanta. But then the recession hit and reshaped the US economy (if you wanna call it an economy).

Is the so called "dream" of a CLT metro of 4+ million people gone?

Should CLT now just try and be the best Mid-sized city it can be, in the mold of Columbus OH, Indianapolis IN, or Nashville TN, or will CLT become a boomtown again if and when the economy ever rebounds?

Is Raleigh/Durham now the new "golden boy city" to become very large?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 11:40 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,221,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
A few years ago, people were talking about CLT becoming the next Atlanta. But then the recession hit and reshaped the US economy (if you wanna call it an economy).

Is the so called "dream" of a CLT metro of 4+ million people gone?

Should CLT now just try and be the best Mid-sized city it can be, in the mold of Columbus OH, Indianapolis IN, or Nashville TN, or will CLT become a boomtown again if and when the economy ever rebounds?

Is Raleigh/Durham now the new "golden boy city" to become very large?

I know of no one who was "dreaming" or salivating over the prospect of Charlotte growing THAT large.

Most of the regular folks here think it's already too overgrown, so I hope we've seen our biggest growth spurts and put them behind us. If that's a consequence of the recession than I'd say it wasn't so bad after all

Slow, steady and better planned growth would be my hope going forward.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:02 PM

128 posts, read 240,527 times
Charlotte is still growing and will continue to grow... Right now the best thing we can do is better plan for future growth, which would include better roads, schools and mass transit. Growth will slow, which is good because our infrastructure needs to catch up. And not being Atlanta is a GOOD thing. As for Raleigh being the new golden boy? Puhlease!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,309,856 times
It needs to grow - and don't mean by populatiopn/size. I mean culture.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:22 PM

221 posts, read 356,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post

Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM

128 posts, read 240,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Very true... I think Charlotte has some culture, but compared to it's peers she has some work to do!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,020,756 times
Charlotte will still continue to thrive. What will hurt us is not the economy but our current spike in COL. Can you believe gas is actually cheaper in NJ than in Charlotte? That will slow us down more than the economy. If you look at history, this region is known for bouncing back from hard economic times.

The Charlotte area has more culture than you think. This area is more of a grassroots instead of a big corporate gallery place. That's why NoDa, Southend, Plaza-Midwood, and Central are great places cuz they realize this.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 AM

21,834 posts, read 27,084,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Charlotte will still continue to thrive. What will hurt us is not the economy but our current spike in COL. Can you believe gas is actually cheaper in NJ than in Charlotte? That will slow us down more than the economy. If you look at history, this region is known for bouncing back from hard economic times.

The Charlotte area has more culture than you think. This area is more of a grassroots instead of a big corporate gallery place. That's why NoDa, Southend, Plaza-Midwood, and Central are great places cuz they realize this.
I knew that gas would cost more here. NJ has a very low gas tax. NJ & SC usually are neck & neck for cheapest gas, nationwide. They used to find the funds to maintain the roads. With the fiscal problems in NJ, going back to Christy Whitman, the roads have gone to pot. I was up there last month & the main east/west road through my old town, Route 70, is a state highway & it makes you think of SC roads.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:58 PM

554 posts, read 1,311,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Charlotte will still continue to thrive. What will hurt us is not the economy but our current spike in COL. Can you believe gas is actually cheaper in NJ than in Charlotte?
Yes I can believe it's more expensive than NJ....NJ is one of the cheapest places to buy gas!!!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 07:38 PM

210 posts, read 444,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I know of no one who was "dreaming" or salivating over the prospect of Charlotte growing THAT large.

Most of the regular folks here think it's already too overgrown, so I hope we've seen our biggest growth spurts and put them behind us. If that's a consequence of the recession than I'd say it wasn't so bad after all

Slow, steady and better planned growth would be my hope going forward.
I agree with Loves. If I had wanted to live in a traffic-ridden Atlanta, I would have taken the job offer in Atlanta.
I wanted to live in this very varied, charming city of Charlotte. So I took the job offer here. Why should Charlotte have to be another type of city? It has its own personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or