U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM

33 posts, read 64,374 times

Advertisements

We are in Charlotte and would like to take a drive through some of the nice residential areas, but we are not sure where they are. Please, help! We are here through the weekend. We were also hoping to speak to a realtor to get help/ advice...any suggestions?

Do most subdivisions have HOA's? If so what do they include? (Where we live HOA's are not common so we are wondering how that works)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 AM

812 posts, read 1,653,411 times
To the South you have Ballantyne, Waxhaw in Union Co and across the border in SC you have Baxter in Fort Mill. South Park Mall area is really nice/Park Rd. Closer in you have Elizabeth, Dilworth....too many places to name to be honest.

There is the North area--that I am not as familiar with-but some popular areas are Lake Norman, Birkdale, Highland Creek and then farther north you have Davidson. I am sure there are areas around Concord up 85.

Really depends on where you will be working, price range, school prefs etc...old vs new really hard to narrow down without a lot of details.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterisc View Post
We are in Charlotte and would like to take a drive through some of the nice residential areas, but we are not sure where they are. Please, help! We are here through the weekend. We were also hoping to speak to a realtor to get help/ advice...any suggestions?

Do most subdivisions have HOA's? If so what do they include? (Where we live HOA's are not common so we are wondering how that works)

Thank you!
Find where Providence Rd begins (at the end of 3rd St near uptown) and follow it all the way to Waxhaw for a nice drive lined with nice neighborhoods.

Come back to town by turning left off of Providence onto Rea Rd and follow it all the way until it becomes Colony. Ride Colony until it deadends on Selwyn. Take a right on Selwyn to ride thru part of the Myers Park neighborhood.

Then, head up interstate 85 North. Exit onto 46B and get on West Mallard Creek Church Rd. Cross over Mallard Creek and the road becomes Prosperity Church Rd. Take a right on Ridge Rd. Take a left into the Highland Creek entrance on Highland Creek Parkway. Ride all around this popular neighborhood to see different sections in different price points, the golf courses and the schools.

When Highland Creek Parkway deadends take a right onto Eastfield Rd. This become Harris Rd. Take a left off Harris onto Skybrook Dr. to tour the nice Skybrook neighborhood. Take a right leaving the neighborhood back onto Harris. Once it becomes Eastfield Rd again look to take a left onto Browne Rd. There are many neighborhoods to see along this route, too many to name. Browne becomes W. Sugar Creek. When it reaches WT Harris Blvd take a right on Harris to find your way to I77 and get on I77 South to head back into Charlotte.

(Note - I would have sent you out of Skybrook on Harris to the left to go toward Poplar Tent Rd and all the nice neighborhoods along there, but with the Renaissance Festival starting this weekend on Poplar Tent I don't want to put you in any extra traffic around that popular event )

Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Thank you so much! This is great info and thanks for the directions also!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,226,891 times
You can also check out Winding Walk which is across the street from Skybrook.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Popular areas to live...
- Down Providence Rd (south of I-485) i.e. Union County
- Ballantyne
- Huntersville/Davidson
- Fort Mill, SC (this is where we moved to) - cheaper taxes, close proximity to Uptown (since I-77 is close), brand new area (building new stuff all the time).

Most neighborhoods (at least the newer ones) have an HOA. HOA's cost include keeping up common areas (such as entry ways, greenspace, etc) and maintaining perk areas (such as community pools, etc); at least in my neighborhood. I have seen in other neighborhoods it includes cable/lawn service/outside maintenance (in the case of townhomes)/etc.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 PM

We want something newer...We sold our new custom built home here and I would like to get something similar. At the same time, we would like to spend less than we did here for a new home...it looks like there is a lot more to choose from there and there are a lot of new homes under $200,000. We spoke to a realtor and we were told that by law they can't tell us if the neighborhood is safe or not. We never really had to worry about safety where we have lived and this is a major concern to me. I am worried that if we see a nice newer home for a lower price that it might be in an unsafe area....Any truth to that? Is it reasonable to find a newer home for undr $200,000 ...what is a median home cost in a nice safe neighborhood?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,226,891 times
What neighborhoods did you look through? I bet someone on here can you tell you about the area and whether it's safe or not.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterisc View Post
We want something newer...We sold our new custom built home here and I would like to get something similar. At the same time, we would like to spend less than we did here for a new home...it looks like there is a lot more to choose from there and there are a lot of new homes under $200,000. We spoke to a realtor and we were told that by law they can't tell us if the neighborhood is safe or not. We never really had to worry about safety where we have lived and this is a major concern to me. I am worried that if we see a nice newer home for a lower price that it might be in an unsafe area....Any truth to that? Is it reasonable to find a newer home for undr $200,000 ...what is a median home cost in a nice safe neighborhood?
It really depends on what part of Charlotte you are talking about.

For instance, in south Charlotte homes under $200,000 will be more likely to be in less desirable neighborhoods. Less desirable not necessarily meaning more dangerous, but with something not quite as desirable, like the school assignments or small lots or less square footage for the price.

If you are able to post specific neighborhood names that you are interested in people here can tell you what they know.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 PM

972 posts, read 2,143,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
(Note - I would have sent you out of Skybrook on Harris to the left to go toward Poplar Tent Rd and all the nice neighborhoods along there, but with the Renaissance Festival starting this weekend on Poplar Tent I don't want to put you in any extra traffic around that popular event )
Plus, Poplar Tent is closed to widen the bridge by Cox Mill Road. We're just staying in this weekend!

There are many nice neighborhoods in that area, which is where we concentrated our search. We found that the floor plans did not vary much from neighborhood to neighborhood. It was more a matter of finding one built on a lot we liked. So, missing a few neighborhoods on a preliminary search is not a big deal, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or