Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM

12 posts, read 15,341 times

Advertisements

So I am hoping to escape WI sometime in the next yr or so... looking to move to NC.. (my family is originally from there & I spent many a good time there as a child) I am on my 2nd scouting trip next wk, this time to grtr Charlotte area. Never been to Charlotte so what I'm looking for is this:

personalities of Charlotte suburbs, I'm not looking to be right in town but not hours away either.
Background on me which may help w/suggestions:
single no kids (except for ones w/fur, 4 legs & tail, I have lots of those) so schools are not a big concern tho I'm definitely pro-education!

I am a highly skilled massage therapist & have a long term private practice here (specializing in horses, but covering people & dogs also) sadly they will not be moving with me so I'll have to start over working as an employee somewhere first I'm sure, getting the horse aspect going will be tougher I know. Here I have a name & reputation, long term clientel, in a new area I"ll be just another horse crazy gal who "massages horses", ok then! I'm looking for a place where I can hope to integrate over time, where people are open & friendly to area newcomers.

My furry kids are naturally a concern, I need an area where I won't be over the limit. We're VERY clean & quiet & like to be good neighbors, don't want to be on some parcel just off the highway with no neighbors in sight, but also don't want to be in a neighborhood with small lots where the kids might annoy the folks nextdoor.

I grew up in northern VA (aside: I often laugh at what others consider bad traffic) & live in the greater Milwaukee area now, I do like having the conveniences of larger metro area; airport within 45 ish minutes, decent restaurants, maybe some jazz venues, theater is lovely.... like to have target not too far away (as in 15ish minutes) good chinese/thai takeout... the simple things

I do like to have a strong connection w/ the outdoors. Where I'm at now I have to drive to trails I can walk w/ the dogs. I used to have that right out my door & would like to have it that way again.

Hmmm, what else can I tell you? Basically a place where someone like me can fit in, offer my skills to the community, & find a peaceful home for my family. So what are your suggestions? Are there areas around Charlotte that are more horse oriented? Areas that are active with complimentary health venues such as massage, chiropractic, acupuncture & trad. chinese medicine?
Thanks for reading & I appreciate you suggestions!
Peace be with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Here's someplace to start. Natural Awakenings Magazine Charlotte (http://awakeningcharlotte.com/content/ - broken link)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equisportms View Post
So I am hoping to escape WI sometime in the next yr or so... looking to move to NC.. (my family is originally from there & I spent many a good time there as a child) I am on my 2nd scouting trip next wk, this time to grtr Charlotte area. Never been to Charlotte so what I'm looking for is this:

personalities of Charlotte suburbs, I'm not looking to be right in town but not hours away either.
Background on me which may help w/suggestions:
single no kids (except for ones w/fur, 4 legs & tail, I have lots of those) so schools are not a big concern tho I'm definitely pro-education!

I am a highly skilled massage therapist & have a long term private practice here (specializing in horses, but covering people & dogs also) sadly they will not be moving with me so I'll have to start over working as an employee somewhere first I'm sure, getting the horse aspect going will be tougher I know. Here I have a name & reputation, long term clientel, in a new area I"ll be just another horse crazy gal who "massages horses", ok then! I'm looking for a place where I can hope to integrate over time, where people are open & friendly to area newcomers.

My furry kids are naturally a concern, I need an area where I won't be over the limit. We're VERY clean & quiet & like to be good neighbors, don't want to be on some parcel just off the highway with no neighbors in sight, but also don't want to be in a neighborhood with small lots where the kids might annoy the folks nextdoor.

I grew up in northern VA (aside: I often laugh at what others consider bad traffic) & live in the greater Milwaukee area now, I do like having the conveniences of larger metro area; airport within 45 ish minutes, decent restaurants, maybe some jazz venues, theater is lovely.... like to have target not too far away (as in 15ish minutes) good chinese/thai takeout... the simple things

I do like to have a strong connection w/ the outdoors. Where I'm at now I have to drive to trails I can walk w/ the dogs. I used to have that right out my door & would like to have it that way again.

Hmmm, what else can I tell you? Basically a place where someone like me can fit in, offer my skills to the community, & find a peaceful home for my family. So what are your suggestions? Are there areas around Charlotte that are more horse oriented? Areas that are active with complimentary health venues such as massage, chiropractic, acupuncture & trad. chinese medicine?
Thanks for reading & I appreciate you suggestions!
Peace be with you
I live in Kings Mountain. There's a day spa in town. Also, there's a community theater. It's not a bad drive into Uptown Charlotte. The airport is ~30 minutes away. There is a trail here, as well. I'm not sure if there's a zoning law concerning dogs, but the next door neighbor has 3 or 4. Most people just have one, though. This is a small town, but there's a lot of housing just outside of the city limits. There are still some working farms around here, so I'm sure there's horses.

Kings Mountain Gateway Trails > Home

Carolina Thread Trail

City of Kings Mountain, North Carolina

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks, I'll check out the mag.
I've looked at somethings out Kings Mountain way & I will do a pass thru that area while I'm there next wk.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check out the mag.
I've looked at somethings out Kings Mountain way & I will do a pass thru that area while I'm there next wk.
Don't let the downtown spook you. It pretty well collapsed, figuratively speaking, when the mills shut down. The local officals are working at bringing new businesses in & revitalizing the downtown. The day spa is Body Junction 309 Battleground. If you want any more information about the area, just ask.

ETA: Target in Gastonia is 10 -12 minutes from me. Depending on where you might settle figure roughly 15 minutes.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 PM

My concern about downtown areas is mainly pet ordinances, I would not want to be over what's allowed, also I'd like a larger sized lot, sometimes hard to find around downtowns! Also to clarify - regarding the horses, I'm really looking for a sport horse type community (dressage/eventing... reining, etc)since those are the most likely to be using my sort of services.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
My concern about downtown areas is mainly pet ordinances, I would not want to be over what's allowed, also I'd like a larger sized lot, sometimes hard to find around downtowns! Also to clarify - regarding the horses, I'm really looking for a sport horse type community (dressage/eventing... reining, etc)since those are the most likely to be using my sort of services.
My thought is you should look into Tryon, NC - that's horse country there!

Nature Center, Equestrian Center, Therapeutic Riding Center, Foothills Equestrian Nature Center, Tryon, North Carolina

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
How about horses that play polo?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I live walking distance from downtown & my lot is 70 x 248. I wasn't thinking so much of you living in the town unless you cleared the number of dogs with the zoning office, but you could look in the unincorporated area just outside of town, where zoning would be looser.

I just mentioned the downtown because if you went to check the day spa, you'd drive through it & think what the @#&%?

I'm not certain what the show horse situation is around here. I'd suggest checking Shelby on that . I saw something a while back about a horse show, but can't remember any details. It may have been Shelby.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Polo b cool 2! Essentially, my typical horse client is involved in some sort of sport/competition, pro or am, & is a valued partner not just another piece of equipment, maintainence by such as myself is part of the way the owner protects their friend/partner/investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte