U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 AM
 
3,117 posts, read 3,832,174 times
Reputation: 1753

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahahahaha - how did you land on the NC forum??

The OP means he wants to visit WESTERN NC - the mountainous region of our state
I think he was here for me. You see, I am an eternal homesick homebody. I love to travel but by day two, no matter where we are, I want to come home. We went to Oregon for five days a few weeks ago and I was really worried that it was going to be too long and I would be miserable. You know what happened? I cried when we had to leave. My husband and I have not stopped talking or thinking about Oregon in three weeks, and it seems that little signs or mentions of it have been popping up everywhere. We have decided to move!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this was so OT. Btw, if you have the chance, do yourself a favor and visit the Pacific Northwest. It is by far the most beautiful place I've seen yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,168 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Reputation: 38448
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I think he was here for me. You see, I am an eternal homesick homebody. I love to travel but by day two, no matter where we are, I want to come home. We went to Oregon for five days a few weeks ago and I was really worried that it was going to be too long and I would be miserable. You know what happened? I cried when we had to leave. My husband and I have not stopped talking or thinking about Oregon in three weeks, and it seems that little signs or mentions of it have been popping up everywhere. We have decided to move!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this was so OT. Btw, if you have the chance, do yourself a favor and visit the Pacific Northwest. It is by far the most beautiful place I've seen yet.

WOW, so you're moving to Oregon! Well congrats on finding your slice of heaven on earth! I found that myself in the Blue Ridge Mountains, so I can understand how you feel It's true, when it's right, it's just right!

Though I do have Crater Lake in Oregon on my bucket list of things to do before I die!

crater lake oregon - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
550 posts, read 1,145,413 times
Reputation: 171
I'm guessing a five-year-old would love Grandfather Mountain.
Grandfather Mountain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 AM
 
3,117 posts, read 3,832,174 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WOW, so you're moving to Oregon! Well congrats on finding your slice of heaven on earth! I found that myself in the Blue Ridge Mountains, so I can understand how you feel It's true, when it's right, it's just right!

Though I do have Crater Lake in Oregon on my bucket list of things to do before I die!

crater lake oregon - Google Search
Thanks! It's going to be a year or two before we get everything planned and the house sold. My husband is lucky that he can keep working for the same company and just work from home, so selling the house is really our only obstacle. It will be nice to be in the position of wanting to sell but not needing to, so it takes as long as it takes. You would love the mountains out there. I've never seen anything like it, and the SMELL...ahhhh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,168 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Reputation: 38448
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Next we want to head west and visit the mountains and hopefully some waterfalls. Most of what I looked up on this forum last week involved hiking, but our 5-year-old wouldn't make it too far.

Is there anyplace we can go and have a nice day of it without miles of walking?
I agree with the suggestion of Chimney Rock State Park near Lake Lure

The drive from Charlotte is only about 90 minutes and the lower trail to see the waterfall from the bottom (the Hickory Nut Falls Trail) is not that difficult or long (it's 3/4 of a mile to the falls from the trail head and is recommended for families with young children).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,200 posts, read 13,265,479 times
Reputation: 4418
How about Looking Glass Falls. Looking Glass Falls (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/wncwaterfalls/lookingglassfalls.htm - broken link)

Years ago, a boyfriend & I drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I remember that we went to Looking Glass Falls & I don't remember there being any hiking involved. It's been a long time, so someone correct me, if I'm wrong about the no hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM
 
3,117 posts, read 3,832,174 times
Reputation: 1753
Chimney Rock is fun and easy, but we hiked to the waterfall on Sept. 19 and it was just a trickle. I'd recommend going back in the spring or in a year when we've had more rain, unless you want to just do the chimney and some other trails. They have a little interpretive trail for kids at the bottom of the mountain, and the small town just outside the park is quaint and fun as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,168 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Reputation: 38448
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Chimney Rock is fun and easy, but we hiked to the waterfall on Sept. 19 and it was just a trickle. I'd recommend going back in the spring or in a year when we've had more rain, unless you want to just do the chimney and some other trails. They have a little interpretive trail for kids at the bottom of the mountain, and the small town just outside the park is quaint and fun as well.
Oh, that's good info! I haven't been this fall so I didn't realize the waterfall is not running.

In that case, they may want to consider Stone Mountain State Park near Sparta. The falls there are again easy to access from the parking lot and I was there last month so I know it's running great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 2,276,141 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
If you head up near Blowing Rock to Price Lake, your 5-year-old should be able to walk the trail around it pretty easily. It's lovely, and it's not steep or challenging at all. More like a walk in the woods near a little lake. It's not too far, maybe a couple of miles all the way around. You can go out and back, as far as you want.

I realize you asked for no hiking, but I thought I'd throw this out there in case you were discounting hiking because it sounded too strenuous. Otherwise, if you really don't want hiking, the towns of Blowing Rock and Boone are fun to walk around a bit. Blowing Rock has some nicer shops, plus typical t-shirt and ice cream stores, etc. You can wander the campus of Appalachian if you go to Boone.
Blowing Rock also has a very nice park where your 5 year old can play when he gets bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
13,200 posts, read 13,265,479 times
Reputation: 4418
Bridal Veil Falls can be seen with no hiking. Bridal Veil Falls (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/wncwaterfalls/bridalveilfalls.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top