Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

For the folks that know this type of thing, what is the latest that you'd do your Fall yardwork?

I've been getting ready to have the yard aerated, overseeded and fertilized. But I wanted to hold off a little longer while I work on the plant beds, have the house and concrete areas powerwashed, and wait for the little muchkins to trample over the yard on Halloween.

Is November 1 too late?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
For the folks that know this type of thing, what is the latest that you'd do your Fall yardwork?

I've been getting ready to have the yard aerated, overseeded and fertilized. But I wanted to hold off a little longer while I work on the plant beds, have the house and concrete areas powerwashed, and wait for the little muchkins to trample over the yard on Halloween.

Is November 1 too late?
Absolutely not! I'll be seeding from late October into November (a major seeding) I seeded in December a couple of times in South Jersey & it came up just fine.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Any recommendations for an aeration service in the Lake Norman area with rough estimate of cost for about a third of an acre?
We can overseed and fertilise ourselves.

What would you recommend for seed?
We were considering Scotts southern gold but if anyone has any other suggestions would welcome them.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Any recommendations for an aeration service in the Lake Norman area with rough estimate of cost for about a third of an acre?
We can overseed and fertilise ourselves.

What would you recommend for seed?
We were considering Scotts southern gold but if anyone has any other suggestions would welcome them.
I'm reseeding with short fescue & rye.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Southbound-thanks
Can I ask why you choose to do that and what brand you use?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Southbound-thanks
Can I ask why you choose to do that and what brand you use?
My lawn in South Jersey was short fescue & rye. I don't care if it goes dormant in the summer.

I've tested rye seed in different areas of the lawn here & it does just fine.

The only short fescue seed that I found here was ridiculously expensive. I did find rye seed at Tractor Supply.

I picked up some Scotts & Pennington in Delaware when I came back from a trip to South Jersey & Philly last month. Then, when I got back I realized, while spraying with weed killer that most of the yard was not just crab grass, which I knew, but also signal grass. I knew that I didn't have enough to cover the additional area, but my neighborhood True Value has gotten some short fescue & rye seed mix & I picked some up & now have enough. I asked the guy who checked me out & it seems that the locals are snapping it up like it's free candy.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Is November 1 too late?
I will be seeding/aerating over the weekend....normal highs are in the 70's and despite the last day or so, the sun is still very strong. Perfect for grass to come up...

Just make sure you water continuosly if rain is not in the forecast.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 AM

457 posts, read 1,178,012 times
My lawn care company said they said anywhere between 9/15 & 10/31. I hear you on the Halloween lawn trampling thing. Maybe you could do Nov. 1st? I will say that as hot as it was this year my company did mine 9/15 & I was pissed but a lot of new grass started, but some did not. Anyway, just sharing in case that helps any with your decision.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,791 times
GroupOn's deal today is for lawn aeration for $39.

Up to a 1/4 of an acre and must make the appt a week in advance.

Luxury Outdoor Living Deal of the Day | Groupon Charlotte

Service from Luxury Outdoor Living - Luxury Outdoor Living

I've already had mine done from a flyer I got in the mailbox, but this may be a good option for those around/near Harrisburg.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
My lawn in South Jersey was short fescue & rye. I don't care if it goes dormant in the summer.

I've tested rye seed in different areas of the lawn here & it does just fine.

The only short fescue seed that I found here was ridiculously expensive. I did find rye seed at Tractor Supply.

I picked up some Scotts & Pennington in Delaware when I came back from a trip to South Jersey & Philly last month. Then, when I got back I realized, while spraying with weed killer that most of the yard was not just crab grass, which I knew, but also signal grass. I knew that I didn't have enough to cover the additional area, but my neighborhood True Value has gotten some short fescue & rye seed mix & I picked some up & now have enough. I asked the guy who checked me out & it seems that the locals are snapping it up like it's free candy.
I should add here that I dutifully sprayed all of the weeds & crabgrass in late August. When I got back from my sister's it was dead, but a new crop had sprung up, so started spraying again. I wasn't quite as careful & got some of the "grass". That's when I realized that a lot of that is signal grass. I'm now finishing up with the 3rd round of spraying. This, of course, means that I'll be sowing seed in patches, based on when it was sprayed.

I'm also dethatching with a hard rake. Once the dethatching is done & everything is mowed as short as possible & raked completely clean, I will start sowing. I like the short fescue & rye because it is finer blades, so you can get a thicker lawn.

One of the rye varieties in the Tractor Supply rye mix (2 lb size) is the same variety that is overseeded on most athletic fields in NC. South of here is should not survive summer, but I saw a complaint from a person in FL who had used this particular rye to overseed St Augustine, & it didn't die & the person was distraught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: