U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM

33 posts, read 64,365 times

Advertisements

What were you surprised by after moving to Charlotte that you have not noticed prior to your move?

Any cons/ pros compared to where you moved from?

Any transplants from Wisconsin or the midwest in general? How do like living in Charlotte? What were your biggest adjustments?

We are about to make the move ourselves and wanted to learn from other people's experience as to how they like it in Charlotte.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,930,687 times
Charlotte is a very staunch/conservative place..Lacks diversity and a family oriented city...Pros...Affordable housing.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Charlotte is a very staunch/conservative place..Lacks diversity and a family oriented city...Pros...Affordable housing.
I thought she asked for NEWBIES to give their impressions??

Yours are as stale as day old bread

And "staunchly conservative"?? Please. If the city is so "staunchly conservative" how in the heck did Anthony Fox get elected mayor last fall??

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,433,431 times
These transplants are ruining the area! The nerve of these people... sheesh.

In seriousness, though - opinions will likely vary depending on WHERE in the metro you're talking about. There are a wide variety of options in all directions around the city and transplant experiences will be reflected in that.

For me personally, I moved to a transplant heavy area and overall have only positive things to say about Charlotte.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 PM

1,611 posts, read 2,028,851 times
I like the airport and the wide availability of jobs.

I dislike the sales tax system, and the drivers are nuts. Especially when it comes to running red lights.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,141,756 times
I hailed from the Midwest, MI native and lived in OH for a few years. Overall, decent adjustment with some great perks. The biggest system shocks were the traffic (there are some terrible drivers down here), the bugs - they live a lot longer throughout the year, the invasive poison ivy in my yard and the change of tax requirements. No personal property tax, highway use tax or the like back in the Midwest.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the feedback so far! MikeyKid, you mentioned a transplant heavy area....what would this area be? I am still learning about the areas/neighborhoods in Charlotte so any advice is welcome!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterisc View Post
Thanks for all the feedback so far! MikeyKid, you mentioned a transplant heavy area....what would this area be? I am still learning about the areas/neighborhoods in Charlotte so any advice is welcome!
He was likely referring to western Union County, though western Cabarrus County, Huntersville and Lake Norman would be other areas

Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Also, I don't want to make this all about politics, and I am respectful of anyone's political beliefs. We are fairly liberal, but it's not something we like to discuss...you know what they say.."never talk about politics or religion".

But since you brought it up... Are people open-minded and do they respect other people's beliefs in Charlotte or do they judge you if you are a democrat? I assumed that it's probably like everywhere else, some are republicans, some are democrats...to each his own...should I believe otherwise? Also, about religion, is that a major factor in the culture there? I am only asking because of the popular "bible belt" reference when it comes to the southern states.

Thanks again!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterisc View Post
Also, I don't want to make this all about politics, and I am respectful of anyone's political beliefs. We are fairly liberal, but it's not something we like to discuss...you know what they say.."never talk about politics or religion".

But since you brought it up... Are people open-minded and do they respect other people's beliefs in Charlotte or do they judge you if you are a democrat? I assumed that it's probably like everywhere else, some are republicans, some are democrats...to each his own...should I believe otherwise? Also, about religion, is that a major factor in the culture there? I am only asking because of the popular "bible belt" reference when it comes to the southern states.

Thanks again!
Charlotte is pretty much a live and let live kind of city.

Yes, there are many churches and temples. It is a more faith-based city than many others in this country.

But even if you aren't religious you can appreciate this as a positive when you see all the volunteer hours and community service these groups provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or