U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 PM

119 posts, read 69,378 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any Second Chance apartment complexes in the Charlotte area that are in the eastern Portion of town. I currently live my Uncle on the Westside and I am ready to move out, long story, I have been here in Charlotte for 6 months and have a great job; I can afford a apartment up $700 a month and can afford up to a $1000 deposit if needed for a second chance apartment. I am only looking for a 1 Bedroom. I have found out that a lot of apartments in Charlotte want you to be paying off your other apartment while living at your apartment, and while I would love to do that I just can't afford to do that right now. If anyone knows any good Second Chance Apartments, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I don't have a car so I have to depend on CATS and I work on the East side of town so I would love for info on nice apartments off of Independence or Monroe.

Thanks for Any Suggestions in Advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,919,892 times
Not sure what a "second chance" apartment is. I DO know that apartment complexes require that any monies owed to a previous apartment community be paid first and if you have a judgement against you, (for non payment of rent) the chances of your renting are going to be very slim.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 21,447 times
Not sure if this will help because of the time frame that this thread was started. But hopefully it will help someone in the process. I've come to realize that Georgia is one of the only states that offers second chance programs. @ Chicagocubs (and anyone that doesn't know) - a second chance program or housing is offered to those individuals who have less than perfect credit or someone with an eviction or broken lease on their credit. These wonderful programs gives the renter a second chance to get a place despite their rental or credit history. Second chance programs are not offered in Charlotte, NC. But there are options. #1 - Try going with a private landlord. Explain the situation to the landlord, be upfront and honest about what's on your credit and most of them will work with you. Also emphasize your income and reassure the landlord that you are more than capable of paying your rent. #2 - some properties will only go back 3 years on your rental history credit. So if it has been 3 years or more, then in some cases you will be ok. You just have to do the research. Wakefield in Charlotte is one property that will only go back 3 years on your credit. Honestly, they don't care if you owe a utility company. Their main concern is if you owe another landlord or rental property. Do some research and Google the word poor credit rentals. Also use Craiglist and socialserve.com. Socialserve.com is the BEST option for individuals that have poor credit. You have the option to refine your search under advance options. There is an option that says "no credit check." Use this option! #4 - if push comes to shove and you're still not able to find a place you may have to resort to using an extended stay hotel. A lot of the hotel/motels in the south offers low cost weekly rates (as low as 80.00) and some are equipped with kitchenettes. This option may be used so that you can make an attempt to make some payments to the rental properties that you owe. Some rental properties are willing to rent to you if you owe another property if you can show proof that you are making payments to resolve your debt. Charlotte is a great place to live and work but as far as assistance for poor rental credit/history, Charlotte is the worst place to be. If none of these options work, try relocating to Atlanta, GA. I don't advise anyone to move to GA because it is harder to find a job there (talking from personal experience and others that I know). But Atlanta is FILLED with second chance programs and housing. Some of the properties will accept people with (up to) 3 evictions on their credit. Also, these places, with your poor credit< may not be in the best areas of town but it’s a start. It gives you a roof over your head and allows you to rebuild your credit. I hope this helps anyone that reads it.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,180,488 times
Do a search on this website, make sure to select that you want bus within distance and no credit check. You can actually call up the landlord and ask any pertinent questions.

Socialserve.com - Rental Housing Search: Charlotte, NC

Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,889,924 times
Lina, I hate to burst your bubble in regards to your post, but I think I need to.

Second chance programs are offered everywhere. You probably won't find them with larger companies (think Post), but you will with many mid-size or smaller companies. If we didn't give second chances, we would be out of business. Some of our best tenants are not on their second chance, but third or more.

Second chance programs aren't limited by city or region either. Just because you don't know where they are doesn't mean they don't exist. They might not be available in prime areas or communities, well, because they don't need to offer those programs to get a place rented in a desirable area.

I'm guessing here, but I get from the OP that there was an eviction and judgment or a borken lease and possibly a complaint for money owed. These are going to be problems anywhere. I'm all about second chances, because Lord knows I've had a few, but I won't rent to someone who breaks a lease to move. If a prospective tenant will do that to XYZ company, what would make me think they won't do that to me?

As far as paying off another rental company, I've never heard of that being a requirement, but I don't know many other comanies' business practices and policies.

Emphasizing your income won't help either. I want proof of income. Not a letter from Mom saying you make $20 per hour. I want to see pay stubs. Many companies want three times rent as earnings. Many will not waver on that a bit. Some want even higher so I have been told.

As far as a company not caring if you owe a utility company, I bet they will care if you can't get service from that company. Many leases, including the one I use, clearly state that you must have all required utility services established as of move-in. If you can't get natural gas turned on, what are you going to heat a house with if it has a gas pack? 10 electric space heaters? The oven? Not acceptable. Too many space heaters will overload circuits and cause problems. We just had to replace a breaker panel because of overload issues. Not too many landlords are going to be happy about that.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,834 times
Default help

I am single mother of six children i am looking for a place to stay .i do have income can any body help me

Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM

4,663 posts, read 2,812,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymy81 View Post
I am single mother of six children i am looking for a place to stay .i do have income can any body help me
check the internet.... that is alot of kids.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,652 times
Default Can you give me some info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Lina, I hate to burst your bubble in regards to your post, but I think I need to.

Second chance programs are offered everywhere. You probably won't find them with larger companies (think Post), but you will with many mid-size or smaller companies. If we didn't give second chances, we would be out of business. Some of our best tenants are not on their second chance, but third or more.

Second chance programs aren't limited by city or region either. Just because you don't know where they are doesn't mean they don't exist. They might not be available in prime areas or communities, well, because they don't need to offer those programs to get a place rented in a desirable area.

I'm guessing here, but I get from the OP that there was an eviction and judgment or a borken lease and possibly a complaint for money owed. These are going to be problems anywhere. I'm all about second chances, because Lord knows I've had a few, but I won't rent to someone who breaks a lease to move. If a prospective tenant will do that to XYZ company, what would make me think they won't do that to me?

As far as paying off another rental company, I've never heard of that being a requirement, but I don't know many other comanies' business practices and policies.

Emphasizing your income won't help either. I want proof of income. Not a letter from Mom saying you make $20 per hour. I want to see pay stubs. Many companies want three times rent as earnings. Many will not waver on that a bit. Some want even higher so I have been told.

As far as a company not caring if you owe a utility company, I bet they will care if you can't get service from that company. Many leases, including the one I use, clearly state that you must have all required utility services established as of move-in. If you can't get natural gas turned on, what are you going to heat a house with if it has a gas pack? 10 electric space heaters? The oven? Not acceptable. Too many space heaters will overload circuits and cause problems. We just had to replace a breaker panel because of overload issues. Not too many landlords are going to be happy about that.

Spankysbbq, can you provide me with a few leads? My husband and I are searching for a rental for less than $700 a month. We both have fair credit and the income is definitely there (he's a truck driver), but he has a judgment on his credit due to moving to Charlotte without knowing the area and breaking his lease to move to a better area. We're looking to move in about a month. If you have any info that could help us please email me: dkch76@gmail.com

Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,551 times
Looking for a place to stay. I have been staying in an apartment for the last 3 years . I have an eviction on my record and it is holding me back from getting a new home to live in the charlotte area. Can some one help me please all people need help if they have something on your record

Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann2151 View Post
Looking for a place to stay. I have been staying in an apartment for the last 3 years . I have an eviction on my record and it is holding me back from getting a new home to live in the charlotte area. Can some one help me please all people need help if they have something on your record
@ann2151 Have you found anything yet? If so, can you tell me where I may have better luck? My eviction was about 11 years ago 600 miles away from Charlotte, NC. I dont have GREAT credit but suspect that I may be blacklisted in one of those tenant databases. I've been denied TWICE after paying each $25 app fees. I've never been denied an apartment prior to this. I have a stable job history, pay rent on time but really want to move out of this place when my lease is up. I want to move so bad I'm willing to still pay this place all way until lease ends, but hopefully move in somewhere else well in advance of my lease ending. Mold, mildew smell moisture issues...uuugh. I will not renew here. Someone PLEASE HELP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte