Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,693 times

Advertisements

We are a bi-racial (Black/White) family with children. We are relocating to the Charlotte area from L.A. soon. We are looking for a nice newer area (4+ bedroom homes) with great schools. We have looked into Ardrey Kell High and it seems like one of the better schools. From what I have read and heard, many people in the Charlotte area seem friendly and accepting. We would love to move to an area that is not only diverse, but an area where people from different races actually hang out with one another in school, neighborhoods, workplace... I am really hoping we can find an area like this near Charlotte. I understand that it will not be as diverse as a place like L.A., which is fine with me. I just want to live in a friendly community where folks look beyond skin color We have done some research on the Ballantyne, Matthews, Blakeney, and South Park areas. We would like to be close to the city (15 miles or less) If anyone has any new suggestions or has any experiences (good or bad) about any particular areas, please let me know. Thanks! I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker8914 View Post
We are a bi-racial (Black/White) family with children. We are relocating to the Charlotte area from L.A. soon. We are looking for a nice newer area (4+ bedroom homes) with great schools. We have looked into Ardrey Kell High and it seems like one of the better schools. From what I have read and heard, many people in the Charlotte area seem friendly and accepting. We would love to move to an area that is not only diverse, but an area where people from different races actually hang out with one another in school, neighborhoods, workplace... I am really hoping we can find an area like this near Charlotte. I understand that it will not be as diverse as a place like L.A., which is fine with me. I just want to live in a friendly community where folks look beyond skin color We have done some research on the Ballantyne, Matthews, Blakeney, and South Park areas. We would like to be close to the city (15 miles or less) If anyone has any new suggestions or has any experiences (good or bad) about any particular areas, please let me know. Thanks! I appreciate it!
Welcome Parker

I am confused by what you mean when you say you want to be "close to the city"

With the exception of Matthews (which is a town with its own mayor and police force), the other areas mentioned are all already IN the city of Charlotte.

Perhaps you meant you wish to be within 15 miles of uptown Charlotte? Just realize that 15 miles in morning/evening rush can translate to an hour in traffic sometimes. And the further out you go (Ballantyne being the furthest) the more aggravating the commute.

Of the areas you mentioned, South Park is closest in and in non commute times is very convenient to uptown (10 minutes)

Just FYI, your best bet for the shortest commutes is to look in Dilworth, Myers Park, Elizabeth and Cotswold.

However, if schools are your top priority Ardrey Kell is top rated in the city.

Regardless of which area you chose I'm sure all of the above will be places you'll find acceptance and good neighbors.

In Charlotte the only color that really matters is green

Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
I agree about Ardrey Kell and I haven't been in that area in a while but I wonder if that might feel both crowded and rural at the same time for someone from SoCal. I mean, rural as in further out from the city but crowded with the traffic.

I think we need to know more about Parker. What he does, what his hobbies are. If he likes the water than Lake Norman might be a thought. I don't know about the schools but I think that's a progressive area.

The areas lovesMountains are good to consider too. I'm not sure about Southpark unless he's more Beverly Hills LA

If interested in the downtown scene and everything else considered, area 4 might be good to concentrate on to be close to light rail.

My church (St. Peter's Episcopal downtown) has several bi-racial families and that might be a good place to get some ideas. I consider St. Peter's to be conservative in worship but liberal and progressive in members so we've got a nice mix!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,753 times
LoveMountains, If they are coming from LA one hour in traffic is a light traffic day and might make them smile. ;-)

Last edited by Tharamis; 10-17-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,693 times
Great! Thanks for the tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: