Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM

201 posts, read 964,498 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. Is there any "fairly local" (maybe not more than an hour from Matthews/Charlotte) places to go apple and/or pumpkin picking? The mutsu apples are what I"m really after. I had one this season from a friend- was a little bummed it didn't taste the same as they did up north, but I"d sure love to give it anouther shot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 04:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
Hi guys. Is there any "fairly local" (maybe not more than an hour from Matthews/Charlotte) places to go apple and/or pumpkin picking? The mutsu apples are what I"m really after. I had one this season from a friend- was a little bummed it didn't taste the same as they did up north, but I"d sure love to give it anouther shot!!!
Gosh, most of places I know of harvested their apples in late August and September. I think you may have missed your chance! Hope I'm wrong and that somebody here can tell you about a place.

Take a ride up to Carrigan Farms to pick a pumpkin, a long standing tradition in this area

http://www.carriganfarms.com/

Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM

777 posts, read 2,554,665 times
Not gonna get many apples within an hour of here (need the elevation of the mountains). Skytop orchard is 90 minutes from Charlotte and my family had a good time picking apples there.

Sky Top Orchard | Flat Rock, NC | Pick-Your-Own Apples, Hayrides, Fresh Donuts, Family Fun, Apple Cider

And just an FYI - the mutsu apples were done picking a month ago. Might have to go way north to find them.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,508,605 times
I second Skytop...great location, but I also agree you may have missed the season this year. I spoke with them before going and as of 10/3, they said they only had 7-10 days or so of picking left. When we went, they still had goldens, granny smiths, and black arkensas left, but we had to hike out to the very back of the orchard. This was also true of another orchard that a friend of mine went to the week before we did. From what they said, the weather decreased the output of their crop this year. As for whether they were comparable to norther apples...I think so, they had Macs...my fav from upstate NY. The Goldens we got are pretty comparable for taste, though a bit harder.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,098,778 times
This is the first year we've had apples fresh from the mountains as well, and I noticed they were harder than northern apples too. Does it have to do with harvesting time, or soils or something? They all tasted great to me - we even got one larger than a softball!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 AM

457 posts, read 1,171,802 times
Yesterday I saw Mutsu at the Charlotte Farmers Mkt on Yorktown. It was from the last farmer on the left. By the way the going rate at the mkt is 79 cents/LB -all mix & match, such a great deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte