Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,833 times

Advertisements

My SPRING bulbs are confused and already sprouting. I gave up planting bulbs a few years ago since they can't figure out the fall/winter/spring deal!

I hate this heat too...and I am almost in the mountains. I have been checking into northern cities for relo and they complain about the heat --I ask how many days over 90 and they are like maybe 1 wk. How about 90+ days of 90 degrees with tons of them 100+ heat index. I will take FREEZING temps any day. I sooo miss the weather in Pittsburgh but wanted to have family nearby when we had our babies! Family is nice but when I have to keep us locked inside all summer not exactly fun.

Thankfully we have an irrigation system so my lawn is nice and green but I $$$ for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
My SPRING bulbs are confused and already sprouting. I gave up planting bulbs a few years ago since they can't figure out the fall/winter/spring deal!

I hate this heat too...and I am almost in the mountains. I have been checking into northern cities for relo and they complain about the heat --I ask how many days over 90 and they are like maybe 1 wk. How about 90+ days of 90 degrees with tons of them 100+ heat index. I will take FREEZING temps any day. I sooo miss the weather in Pittsburgh but wanted to have family nearby when we had our babies! Family is nice but when I have to keep us locked inside all summer not exactly fun.

Thankfully we have an irrigation system so my lawn is nice and green but I $$$ for it.

I am a former New Englander and LAUGH when they complain about the heat....they haven't a clue.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
good grief.

let it go.

we get it. my four year old isn't half the crybaby...

Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
good grief.

let it go.

we get it. my four year old isn't half the crybaby...
Whats the matter?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Whats the matter?
I think he's just saying that your continual complaining about the heat has gotten a bit old

Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think he's just saying that your continual complaining about the heat has gotten a bit old
ah , I see. But I think its very very important that people who move here from the north know exactly what to expect weather-wise. It seems to me all people see is the warmer winter (and yes, it is pleasant and beautiful for about 6 months). But they forget the ugly step-sister that is North Carolina summer. I figure thats what the forum is all about right?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:08 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
ah , I see. But I think its very very important that people who move here from the north know exactly what to expect weather-wise. It seems to me all people see is the warmer winter (and yes, it is pleasant and beautiful for about 6 months). But they forget the ugly step-sister that is North Carolina summer. I figure thats what the forum is all about right?
Yeah, but JP, it's the south , if people don't realize we get heat here they're just clueless. You've been shouting it from the rooftops all summer and it's gotten kind of comical, that's all.

And believe it or not, many many people don't find the summer so unbearable. Some of us PREFER the heat to the cold and find the living here just heavenly

Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yeah, but JP, it's the south , if people don't realize we get heat here they're just clueless. You've been shouting it from the rooftops all summer and it's gotten kind of comical, that's all.

And believe it or not, many many people don't find the summer so unbearable. Some of us PREFER the heat to the cold and find the living here just heavenly
I will slink away quietly now .....

Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I will slink away quietly now .....
jp, I had tracked the weather for 2 years prior to moving here. I knew that the heat would last slightly longer & the cold would last somewhat less, but the temperatures would be about the same as what I was used to.

I've been here for 2 summers now. The first had, by what I was used to, just about no humidity. This past summer was just like South Jersey summers. I mostly have contact with natives, in real life, & they were complaining about the humidity. I compared weather with my sister all summer. They got the heat about a week before we did & it ended about a week before here. Yes, occasionally it would dip down to 87 or 88 for a day there, but it was the same there as here, for the most part. This is why you don't see much complaining about heat from those of us who came from the MidAtlantic. People there regularly refer to summer as beastly hot & it is 99% of the time.

I have a friend in Michigan whose step-children are all in North & South Carolina. They want her & her husband to move down here & she is scared to death of the heat. It's all in what you're used to.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Don't say that I love this warm weather. If it was up to me the perfect winter weather would be sunny and 80 and lows at night around 45.
You would love Southern California. Though in Jan and Feb the high can get only into the 60's but its usually rainy. I used to love walking around Christmas day in shorts and a t-shirt. Hawaii should get you those high's but the low's will be warmer. Southern Spain might get you that temp. I would love to live in Southern Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: