Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:26 PM

159 posts, read 391,686 times

Advertisements

Currently renting a home in Birkdale Village in Huntersville. We have been house hunting since June with little luck at a price point that meets our family needs. We love, love, love the area.

We recently started house hunting in Concord and found a development we like - David Weekly Christenbury Wood.

We have several questions -
How noisey is the race track? Do race fans general stick to the area around the track during races? How often is the track used?

How long does it take to drive to the airport during rush hour?

Other then the Concord Mills Mall area what other shopping and dining options are there?

How is crime?

If you live or lived there would you do it again? Why?

How are the schools - Cox Mill Elem, Harris Middle and Cox Mill HS? Any good/bad experiences?

Any thing else you think might be helpful in making a decision would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 PM

972 posts, read 2,433,841 times
Excellent schools. Next year, Harris will be about half the size when a new middle school opens on the other side of 85.
We like several restaurants in Kannapolis, like the Stone Cottage.
Sorry, I am not a big shopper. We live further out, so I can't help with your other questions. But, we absolutely love living in this area.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,718,267 times
How noisey is the race track? Do race fans general stick to the area around the track during races? How often is the track used?

There are only a couple major races each year, plus a couple large auto shows. There are a lot of other events, but I'd say major traffic is maybe 6 or so times per year-- even then, it's not always so bad except for the two big races. Concord Mills traffic is going to have a MUCH bigger impact on you than race traffic.

We live further away and it rarely takes my husband more than 45 min.

Other then the Concord Mills Mall area what other shopping and dining options are there?

Afton Village (by Kannapolis Parkway) - On one side of 85 there's a Target, Best Buy, etc. on the other side a few restaurants and the YMCA

Downtown Concord - a couple sandwich/coffee shops and 1 or 2 nice restaurants, antique stores and a couple blocks of little shops

Also, you're close to the university area, there are a TON of restaurants by Mallard Creek and JW Clay... there's a little pond there and off the top of my head I can think of Sushi, Italian, Upscale American, wine shops, etc.

Cannon Village/Kannapolis - One great upscale restaurant, a wine bistro with tapas on the outskirts, & a small Italian casual/deli. Not a lot of shops, but there is a really cool old single screen theater that usually shows kids movies

I don't live in Concord but go there a lot for shops & dining.... and so does everyone else apparently! Honestly, the traffic can be so bad right near the mall that my husband and I frequently say "thank GOD we don't live here!". On the other hand, you're going to be super close to everything and if you love the houses traffic may not be such a huge deal. Also, it may be better coming/going to 85 to go over to Mallard Creek instead of going right past the mall. I'm sure that living there you will figure out which times & roads are the worst and be able to avoid them!

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM

52 posts, read 137,036 times
[quote=JanuaryGirl;16415470]How noisey is the race track? Do race fans general stick to the area around the track during races? How often is the track used?

There are only a couple major races each year, plus a couple large auto shows. There are a lot of other events, but I'd say major traffic is maybe 6 or so times per year-- even then, it's not always so bad except for the two big races. Concord Mills traffic is going to have a MUCH bigger impact on you than race traffic.

I agree with above. When we 1st moved out here I was thinking what in the world did we do but 10 years later I love it - you figure out the short cuts and avoid the race and mall at that time

I takes me 25 mins on a good day day (summer when school is out )to 40 mins again you can find short cuts and back roads

Afton Village (by Kannapolis Parkway) - On one side of 85 there's a Target, Best Buy, etc. on the other side a few restaurants and the YMCA

Downtown Concord - a couple sandwich/coffee shops and 1 or 2 nice restaurants, antique stores and a couple blocks of little shops

Also, you're close to the university area, there are a TON of restaurants by Mallard Creek and JW Clay... there's a little pond there and off the top of my head I can think of Sushi, Italian, Upscale American, wine shops, etc.

Cannon Village/Kannapolis - One great upscale restaurant, a wine bistro with tapas on the outskirts, & a small Italian casual/deli. Not a lot of shops, but there is a really cool old single screen theater that usually shows kids movies

I agree with all above

I don't live in Concord but go there a lot for shops & dining.... and so does everyone else apparently! Honestly, the traffic can be so bad right near the mall that my husband and I frequently say "thank GOD we don't live here!". On the other hand, you're going to be super close to everything and if you love the houses traffic may not be such a huge deal. Also, it may be better coming/going to 85 to go over to Mallard Creek instead of going right past the mall. I'm sure that living there you will figure out which times & roads are the worst and be able to avoid them!

I love it - the schools in Cabarrus are great so are the lower taxes. Yes there will be traffic around the mall but you get to know the good times to go and bad as well as finding short cuts. i dont know the subdivision you are describing though

I would say visit the sub division at week ends and if time permits after school/work that way you will get the feel for a family atmosphere

Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,912,323 times
I don't live to far from the subdivision. My in laws looked at those houses as well when they were house hunting.

I think that in the morning and after school there will be alot of traffic along Cox Mill Road.

You will have more issues with mall traffic than race traffic. You will hear the races (but like a PP said that's only 2 a year). You will also hear noise from the dirt track.

The schools are good and highly rated.

There is also Northlake Mall that is not far for shopping and restaurants around there.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,350,783 times

I takes me 25 mins on a good day day (summer when school is out )to 40 mins again you can find short cuts and back roads

I'm assuming you mean Concord Regional?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM

159 posts, read 391,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post

No - Charlotte Douglas

Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM

52 posts, read 137,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post

No I mean CLT - it takes me about 25 mins on a good day (leaving before 645am when school is out) via the 485 exit on 85 (I'm a little south of Concord Mills Exit)

Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,424,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1girl1boy View Post
No I mean CLT - it takes me about 25 mins on a good day (leaving before 645am when school is out) via the 485 exit on 85 (I'm a little south of Concord Mills Exit)
But the question was concerning the drive in rush hour, & let's assume that school is in session, since that's the majority of the year.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 237,838 times
The area is good. We too lived over in Huntersville(twice) and moved back to Cabarrus County both times. We don't live near the mall area but it seems that there is alot of nice subdivisions. I think you will be pleased because the schools are better. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte