U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:36 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,473,324 times

Advertisements

I have a question about stopping for a school bus. If a school bus is stopped and letting off kids ON A 4 LANE ROAD DIVIDED BY DOUBLE YELLOW LINES. Do the cars facing the school bus have to stop? My understanding is that a bus CAN NOT let kids cross 4 lanes to get to the other side which means cars facing the bus are not required to stop. Does anyone KNOW the real answer? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM

1,312 posts, read 3,101,130 times
According to this, as long as there's no median, you do have to stop on both sides of the road.

North Carolina School Bus Stop Law (http://itre.ncsu.edu/ghsp/sbswlaw.html - broken link)

Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM

7,437 posts, read 6,706,046 times
page 48 of the Driver's Handbook has the answer.........

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...DL_English.pdf

Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 PM

3,197 posts, read 6,037,185 times
... which makes driving up and down Mallard Creek Rd. every day exasperating. The traffic in the opposing lanes is not supposed to stop, and you'd think that most drivers would know that, yet about half stop when they shouldn't, while the rest (like me) don't.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:25 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,349,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
page 48 of the Driver's Handbook has the answer.........

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...DL_English.pdf
That was interesting!
I knew that everyone had to stop in Nativechief's example. I knew that if the four-lane road was divided by a median, only the traffic following the bus had to stop.
I did NOT know that if the four-lane road was divided by just a center turn lane, only the traffic following the bus has to stop. Good to know!

In unrelated news, I think having a 45 mph speed limit for buses is a stupid, stupid law.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,239,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
That was interesting!
I knew that everyone had to stop in Nativechief's example. I knew that if the four-lane road was divided by a median, only the traffic following the bus had to stop.
I did NOT know that if the four-lane road was divided by just a center turn lane, only the traffic following the bus has to stop. Good to know!

In unrelated news, I think having a 45 mph speed limit for buses is a stupid, stupid law.
I didn't know about the turn lane example either. I always thought that if there wasn't a physical median, both directions of traffic had to stop. Better safe than sorry, I suppose, and I'm sure a lot of people would stop for that.

Do you think the speed limit for buses should be higher or lower? Why?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,813,701 times
[quote=Timm;16425125
In unrelated news, I think having a 45 mph speed limit for buses is a stupid, stupid law.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to know how many accidents are caused by the school buses going so slow. I see them almost occur daily on 485.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM

11,770 posts, read 18,373,546 times
And why is it that when the school bus is crawling along in the right lane on 485 that most drivers seem scared to pass it?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:54 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
And why is it that when the school bus is crawling along in the right lane on 485 that most drivers seem scared to pass it?
I know! this confuses me too. I passed a mile long line of cars today that were just hanging out behind the bus. I think a lot of people (read: morons) think they aren't allowed to pass school buses any time.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM

7,437 posts, read 6,706,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
That was interesting!

The buses have a governor on them as I understand that keeps them from exceeding 45/50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I know! this confuses me too. I passed a mile long line of cars today that were just hanging out behind the bus. I think a lot of people (read: morons) think they aren't allowed to pass school buses any time.

Many people today are afraid to pass a school bus because the little hellions are throwing stuff from bus windows etc.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte