Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,412 times

Advertisements

I have to complete a project (equivalent to a 8-12 page research paper) detailing how charlotte has changed since 1950. These are my requirements: explain how the economy has changed, how charlotte has changed socially, and how charlotte has changed politically. If anyone can assist, that would be great. This is due Monday, Nov. 1st!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Wow you wait til last minute to start on your project.

I can only direct you to a thread I did over the summer starting with post 11
Charlotte History

Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprice39 View Post
I have to complete a project (equivalent to a 8-12 page research paper) detailing how charlotte has changed since 1950. These are my requirements: explain how the economy has changed, how charlotte has changed socially, and how charlotte has changed politically. If anyone can assist, that would be great. This is due Monday, Nov. 1st!

Dan Morrill is one of Charlotte's prominent historians - go buy his book:

Charlotte

In addition, get yourself uptown ASAP to tour the Levine Museum of the New South - you'll get a clear understanding of Charlotte history there.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:08 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
What are source requirements? I doubt your teacher will accept an internet forum as a resource. Go to the library.

Also visit The Charlotte Museum of History. It's open 10:00am-5:00pm on Saturday and 1:00pm-5:00pm on Sunday.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM

972 posts, read 2,442,806 times
FYI, most teachers will accept internet sources, but with restrictions. And, usually, a percentage of the total sources must be in print. Part of most curriculums is teaching students HOW to research and evaluate the validity of their sources. Going to city data for research doesn't cut it. Taking the advice post here already on where to go for real information is the best option. Also, this student probably knows to check the resourse links on the school media website for acceptable online sources.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:11 PM

119 posts, read 247,191 times
There are a couple great photography books that display the history of Charlotte, and they are available at most bookstores - Barnes & Noble, Borders, Joseph Beth. One is called "Historic Photos of Charlotte" and the other is "Charlotte - Then and Now". They both display what the city was in the '50s and earlier. Uptown was a really happening spot, with a lot of retail and some pretty amazing architecture (the YMCA - torn down now). The streetcar systems are all documented and photographed, and after seeing the photos, it really affected me a bit watching the tracks that had been buried for years get ripped up along East Blvd. There is a small section of track that they raised to the surface and left as a monument while adding the medians on East this past year (near Paper Skyscraper). Anyway, I could look at the photos and commentary in these two books seemingly forever - they just fascinate me with what Charlotte was before I was born, and how uptown went into utter decline, and now I am seeing with my own eyes how it has been revitalized. But it still hasn't hit what those pictures from the '50s and earlier show as a thriving downtown. You probably wouldn't even realize that what you are looking at is Charlotte (the "Then and Now" book helps with that, though).

These are both $30+ books, but you may be able to see them at a Library or even sit at the coffee shop at Barnes and Noble and read them if you don't want to buy them. They are both a series - i.e. you can probably also find an "Atlanta - Then and Now". But for me, they are still worth the money...I'm just fascinated with the way Charlotte has changed, and changed again.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:11 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
I was being sarcastic. Any student assigned a research project of that level should be smart enough to know that an online relocation forum isn't a valid source. That's a lot different from using school/teacher approved online sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: