Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:37 PM

53 posts, read 87,212 times

Advertisements

I've tried them all and it's Saffron all the way. Keep in mind that the deeper in the week you get, the more authentic the buffet gets - if you go the buffet route. Sunday buffet almost always includes goat. BTW - Woodlands used to be decent years ago. They did have a tendency to leave whole spies in their food, which was off putting, both when you bit into a chunk of pure spice and worse, when you ended up spitting out twigs, leaves and whole cinnamon sticks. It's horrible now. Last time I went, I ordered a mushroom dish and the mushrooms were CANNED! Every dish I got from them ended up in the trash after a few bites. I still miss Diamond India & Indian Palace, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 PM

129 posts, read 234,125 times
The Blue Taj is the best restaurant we have found.They make the dishes according to your spice level preferences and not the usual watered down blandnesss we have found elsewhere.

Cafe Nirvana we had tried on a few occasions and it was sub standard very salty and my daughter ordered a dish that came out served on a burger bun. Yes a burger bun in an Indian restaurant ( and no she hadn't ordered a hamburger or any other junk food) its a first considering we have had Indian in various countries, we have Indian friends too who have cooked for us we have never seen or been served a burger bun with Indian food.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 AM

16 posts, read 29,595 times
Last month I have stayed in Charlotte for a week and these are the Indian restaurants I tried in and around Charlotte:

'Spice9' in Concord is the best place I have been to here. Though I just stayed for 1 week in Charlotte,I went there 3 times just because the food was the best. Their portions were decent and food was very flavorful.

'Nirvana' comes close second to spice9. I had 2 friends with me who had quite opposite experiences here but the dishes I had were really tasty. But be there for Dinner. From what I have heard, their lunch is not that good.

'Bombay Grille' had very good food too. I have been to their restaurant in Raleigh and liked it. So I visited this and was worth the visit.

'TheBlueTaj'... hmm.. what to say... Liked the ambiance...Was packed and had to wait for nearly an hour to be seated. Food isn't bad, but isn't anything different.. The serving sizes are so small for the price, when they brought out the appetizers, I almost thought it was a joke!

'Mint' in mooresville: It's really average. Nearest to my office and nothing that I've ever had here is worth a mention.

'Sangam' in cornelius... I can easily say this was the 2nd worst indian food I had in US. Food didn't had any spice, any flavour.. any taste... For my luck, I decided to give it a second chance and it failed me again.

All that said, I would like to mention the below restaurant seperately.

Its not typical indian restaurant but 'indo-chinese' version of it. It also has sushi section. I absolutely loved the food here and am looking forward to go there again. It is
'Asiana Fusion sushi' in Cornelius.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
My favorite place is Blue Taj, although I agree they are pricey for what you get at dinner. Their weekday lunch is a better deal, ~10 for a soup or salad, entree and naan. They also have a reasonably priced Sunday buffet that is delicious too.

Bombay Grill and Cafe Nirvana are okay, but the flavors at each are very "muddy", for lack of a better term. I find the food at Blue Taj tastes a little brighter and more flavorful. I also like that I can specify the spiciness of the dishes when I order.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 PM

27 posts, read 82,493 times
Spice 9 is not that good anymore, but spice cafe in the university area is my favorite. Sangam in Cornelius is good as well

Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 PM

40 posts, read 122,835 times
My choice in order (favorite to least favorite)

1. Sangam (Cornelius) - my favorite. Cute little place, great food.
2. Saffron (Arsley) - Go for the buffet. Pretty good.
3. Copper (Dilworth) - Food was okay, but I thought it was overpriced. Think you're paying more for atmosphere.
4. Spice9 (Concord) - Used to be better, but still not bad.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
Copper is not your typical Indian restaurant. It's more high end, so it's good to know that going in.

I've only had Woodlands at Taste of Charlotte, but I loved it! I believe the restaurant is entirely vegetarian though. Works for me, but maybe not for everyone.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Just got the Charlotte weekly in the recent issue of health inspections Cafe Nirvana scored 83 which went up to 85 with education credits. The violations are disgusting I feel sick to think I have eaten there!It had the worse score of all

Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM

22 posts, read 68,354 times
My revised list
Blue taj
Copper
cakes n flakes
Bombay grille

Everything else is very average, not worth it.
There is a new restaurant, persis opening this sunday in ballantyne which is a good chain. hoping to go there this sunday

Old 07-05-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickytraveller View Post
My revised list
Blue taj
Copper
cakes n flakes
Bombay grille

Everything else is very average, not worth it.
There is a new restaurant, persis opening this sunday in ballantyne which is a good chain. hoping to go there this sunday
Where in Ballantyne are they going to be located???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte