U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
 
36 posts, read 92,717 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Have been in Charlotte for a little over Five years now. And during that time I have been a Stay at Home Dad. Looking to jumpstart my career. Have more then Ten years prior Information Tech experience. Have done a bit of everything, but mainly Server/Desktop support. Even Supervised Breakfix, Helpdesk.

Realistically, Where should I start? Pursue a Masters? Certifications?

Willing to do just about anything with the knowledge that an opportunity is there(Foot in the door at a decent company). Aslo have to consider that whatever I take has to be enough to take care of childcare and all that goes with the daily back and forth.

For once in my life I am really at a lost, hard to admit....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,095,084 times
Reputation: 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
Have been in Charlotte for a little over Five years now. And during that time I have been a Stay at Home Dad. Looking to jumpstart my career. Have more then Ten years prior Information Tech experience. Have done a bit of everything, but mainly Server/Desktop support. Even Supervised Breakfix, Helpdesk.

Realistically, Where should I start? Pursue a Masters? Certifications?

Willing to do just about anything with the knowledge that an opportunity is there(Foot in the door at a decent company). Aslo have to consider that whatever I take has to be enough to take care of childcare and all that goes with the daily back and forth.

For once in my life I am really at a lost, hard to admit....
Future Students — Central Piedmont Community College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,568,550 times
Reputation: 1185
Unfortunately a lof of desktop support positions require A+ certification these days. I would start there. But it is not required for all jobs.

Go to indeed.com and start searching. Set up a daily alert for any new jobs that match your criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,582,216 times
Reputation: 3877
why go into a career that is being offshored??
You will find yourself with a ton of debt (to further your education) and no job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,568,550 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
why go into a career that is being offshored??
You will find yourself with a ton of debt (to further your education) and no job.
Companies still need onsite support to fix laptop issues, patch cables, etc.

Since you have 10 years experience I would try looking first before you spend money on certs. With your knowledge you might find something - especially since you know servers.

I did IT support for 4 years, and am now an IT auditor for a global corporation. Turned out pretty good IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,582,216 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Companies still need onsite support to fix laptop issues, patch cables, etc.

Since you have 10 years experience I would try looking first before you spend money on certs. With your knowledge you might find something - especially since you know servers.

I did IT support for 4 years, and am now an IT auditor for a global corporation. Turned out pretty good IMO.
Those certainly are not jobs that require a Masters.

Staffing agencies are now requiring a masters to answer the phone.
It is out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,568,550 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Those certainly are not jobs that require a Masters.

Staffing agencies are now requiring a masters to answer the phone.
It is out of control.
You do not need a Masters in IT if your experience is mainly desktop/server support. Get in with a company then decide if it is worth it. I am doing quite fine on just a bachelor's and CISA certification. If you want to go into Computer Engineering, then I would get a Masters.

The support jobs might pay 40k, why spend 25k on the advanced degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
 
36 posts, read 92,717 times
Reputation: 21
Where to start... I can't tell you how many positions I have applied for with no luck. For the most part I only receive an email wishing me well. I agree with the idea of getting in with a company and deciding if it is worth an advance degree. The problem being... How do I do that?? Need to get my foot in the door. The idea of pursuing my masters or certs is just a way to standing out from everyone else. Times have definitely changed.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
Where to start... I can't tell you how many positions I have applied for with no luck. For the most part I only receive an email wishing me well. I agree with the idea of getting in with a company and deciding if it is worth an advance degree. The problem being... How do I do that?? Need to get my foot in the door. The idea of pursuing my masters or certs is just a way to standing out from everyone else. Times have definitely changed.......
Why don't you go to the state employment office & ask them for advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,582,216 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
Where to start... I can't tell you how many positions I have applied for with no luck. For the most part I only receive an email wishing me well. I agree with the idea of getting in with a company and deciding if it is worth an advance degree. The problem being... How do I do that?? Need to get my foot in the door. The idea of pursuing my masters or certs is just a way to standing out from everyone else. Times have definitely changed.......
I understand your frustration, there are many in your shoes. The best information I could share is stay positive and keep at it. A door will open soon for you I hope. And YES! Times sure have changed and not for the better IMO.



Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Why don't you go to the state employment office & ask them for advice?
That is a waste of time SB, they would just want the individual to enroll in
a workshop that will offer little to no information or heads up. I know many that have been through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top