Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,689 times

Advertisements

PrecociousJewel---My mistake. I corrected my earlier post.

Don't have any experience with Ft. Mill. Could be like comparing apples to oranges because SC and NC are different in regards to curriculum, testing, etc.

Fort Mill is one of 4 sections of York County's school system.

York County, South Carolina SC - K-12 Schools, Education

Charlotte-Meck is a behemoth of a school system.

Sorry again for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 PM

150 posts, read 704,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
PrecociousJewel---My mistake. I corrected my earlier post.

Don't have any experience with Ft. Mill. Could be like comparing apples to oranges because SC and NC are different in regards to curriculum, testing, etc.

Fort Mill is one of 4 sections of York County's school system.

York County, South Carolina SC - K-12 Schools, Education

Charlotte-Meck is a behemoth of a school system.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Thanks Muffinman, the change was noted. I'd made a mistake with the zip code in my post as well which I changed. This is just a thought because I'm relatively new to the US and it's school education system but is it possible for a student living so close to Fort Mill, SC but technically living in Steele Creek NC to go to school in Fort mill? I ask because they are so close together, the part that's close to lake wylie. We're thinking of buying a house in the area and saw the community we liked as well but am worried about the schools. I don't hear bad things but I don't hear great things about them as well.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:02 AM

825 posts, read 2,818,689 times
As far as I can tell, this would not be feasible. If someone knows how this works, perhaps they'll post. I'd be very interested to hear first hand account.

The public education system relies on tax revenue. Usually this revenue is property taxes assessed on homes. The schools in Fort Mill are paid for with tax revenues from Fort Mill, York County and South Carolina.

In addition, the idea is to be a resident of a county (I say county because most school systems are administered from the county level) before one can enroll in a school. Residents prove their status through electricity bills, builder contracts or other documents. I know of a situation where a family did not reside within the attendance area of a school and lied about it on the enrollment forms by giving a false address. Eventually they were found out and told to pay a weekly tuition fee. Other systems may have these fees but I don't think it's meant to be a long term/permanent solution.

Addresses are assigned to a specific school within the areas of a county, such as Mecklenburg or York County because the school can only hold so many students. There are methods for opting for a different school than the one designated for the residents of a county. However, alternate school sites may not have equivalent or better programs or may be overcrowded.

If someone could do this over a long period of time I'd think they'd have a difficult time with the following things

a. Busing - only available to those within the school system's boundaries and that means more car travel and more gasoline. The two areas you mention may not be that far away but the traffic patterns during peak hours make all the difference.
b. Voting - If you had a complaint about Ft. Mill's school board or other elected leaders, you couldn't do much if you lived outside the boundaries of that system.
c. Child development - A child would attend school with one group of children and see a different group of children at home. I would think it more positive to have consistency between school and home/neighborhood environments.

Again, maybe someone can offer more insight here. I hope my comments are of value.

Last edited by muffinman; 07-15-2007 at 06:48 AM..

Old 07-15-2007, 06:22 AM

They most certainly are. Thank you.

I guess we have to weigh our choices now with the school systems. Although we did like the Falcon Ridge community, from what I read, the Fort Mill School system seems to be better than the ones in nearby Steel Creeke.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM

549 posts, read 2,383,985 times
Precociousjewels I did see we sort of missed one another. Many families have bought in The Fort Mill school district for the good schools. I sent you some links for the schools you asked about. For example Chantilly Montessorri is a magnet school, so you don't have to live in the Chantilly neighborhood for your daughter to attend. They have a certain amount of spaces for kids from other areas who can also attend.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,209,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecociousJewel View Post
Thanks Muffinman, the change was noted. I'd made a mistake with the zip code in my post as well which I changed. This is just a thought because I'm relatively new to the US and it's school education system but is it possible for a student living so close to Fort Mill, SC but technically living in Steele Creek NC to go to school in Fort mill? I ask because they are so close together, the part that's close to lake wylie. We're thinking of buying a house in the area and saw the community we liked as well but am worried about the schools. I don't hear bad things but I don't hear great things about them as well.

I just copied this from another one of your postings:

I have children that attend Fort Mill Schools and I can tell you that the district is very strict when it comes to registering your children for school. You must reside within Fort Mill (or) Tega Cay either by renting or owning a home (and this does not include being in the process of purchasing a home...the sale must be complete).

Read the section Grappling with Growth
American School Board Journal: January 2007

There's also another article in the archives of Charlotte Observer regarding this matter if interested.

Article 5 of 205; 713 words
GROWTH IS A KEY REASON RESIDENCY IS IMPORTANT

Source: V. KEITH CALLICUTT, PH.D., SUPERINTENDENT, FORT MILL SCHOOL
DISTRICT
EDITOR'S NOTE: Superintendent Callicutt's columns appear in the Observer periodically. Within the Fort Mill School District, questions abound concerning the issue of residency as it relates to a student's ability to attend any of our district's schools. Why is the residency issue such a sensitive subject? To answer this question, one needs to look at the history of our school district. For years, the Fort Mill school district has been

Published on December 4, 2005, Page 9Y, Charlotte Observer, The (NC)

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 07-15-2007 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks Lovethecarolinas. The article made for interesting reading. This is something that we have to think about. I appreciate your feedback. Anigirli, thanks so much! I'll respond to your PM.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:15 PM

48 posts, read 217,115 times
I don't live in Falcon Ridge, but I have an M/I home in another neighborhood. We have been very happy with M/I. During the building process they let me request alot of special materials that weren't part of their regular selections.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input Taniamw..we really liked the finish of their homes too and love that so many of their standard features are offered as upgrades by other builders in their price point. how long have you been living in an M/I home if you don't mind my asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte