U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM
 
171 posts, read 170,426 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
...
Getting back to Charlotte Today, Some of those segments, on a regular basis, are weird. They are obviously the choice of someone significantly younger than Colleen & are not age-appropriate for her & many have no business on the air. There is no reason at all for many of those segments. I don't care if the show title is Charlotte Today. The show is supposed to serve the metro. If they went outside of the Charlotte city limits, the show would improve significantly. Bring in the mayor of Gastonia & let Collen interview her about the commuter train battle. Bring in someone from Monroe, etc. Have guests from towns all over the metro who can speak about local events. That time can be filled easily with interesting people from all over the metro. ....
This show is horrendously bad and I agree with everything you said. I guess we should be happy there is some locally originated content on air other than the news, but the producer of this show should be fired as this show is an embarrassment to Charlotte (city). I don't know of Colleen is really like this, but I don't see how the constant barrage of frat jokes, over the top acting, and juvenile behavior does anyone any good. My interest in it was the cooking segment, but I have yet see them bring anyone on that actually knows how to cook let alone instruct someone else. I don't think that even Fox 18 could stoop to the lows that it would take to put on a show such as Charlotte Today, and that, unfortunately is a really low standard.

WCNC does have some good on air talent but they rarely take advantage of it.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,845 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Reputation: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
This show is horrendously bad and I agree with everything you said. I guess we should be happy there is some locally originated content on air other than the news, but the producer of this show should be fired as this show is an embarrassment to Charlotte (city). I don't know of Colleen is really like this, but I don't see how the constant barrage of frat jokes, over the top acting, and juvenile behavior does anyone any good. My interest in it was the cooking segment, but I have yet see them bring anyone on that actually knows how to cook let alone instruct someone else. I don't think that even Fox 18 could stoop to the lows that it would take to put on a show such as Charlotte Today, and that, unfortunately is a really low standard.

WCNC does have some good on air talent but they rarely take advantage of it.
Colleen is capable of doing interviews. I think that she made a comment, one day of being or turning 40. She has seemed embarrassed by the nonsence more than once.

This show is a take-off on The 10 Show, in Philly. Station management needs to check tapes of that show & collaborate with that station to see the differences. Colleen is not the problem. The producer is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
 
171 posts, read 170,426 times
Reputation: 91
40? And they have been sending her out there, at times, dressed and ordered to act as if she was an 18 year old tart. It's this kind of stuff that makes it so annoying that I can't watch it. Maybe it's in keeping with the fact they are an affiliate of NBC-Universal which mostly puts out stuff that appeals to the lowest common denominator in the country.

Personally I think they should take their clues from the old Betty Feezor show.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,845 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Reputation: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
40? And they have been sending her out there, at times, dressed and ordered to act as if she was an 18 year old tart. It's this kind of stuff that makes it so annoying that I can't watch it. Maybe it's in keeping with the fact they are an affiliate of NBC-Universal which mostly puts out stuff that appeals to the lowest common denominator in the country.

Personally I think they should take their clues from the old Betty Feezor show.
Well, I wasn't here to see the Betty Feezor show, but what I've said that they should be doing is based on how they handle The 10 Show.

Yes, 40. (& she's married with kids) I know I heard that recently & it put the whole thing together for me.

Here's a video from the last show of the train-wreck that I referred to in a different post.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Ge3Zqya-8

Look familiar? A trainwreck is a trainwreck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM
 
187 posts, read 347,486 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
We don't watch anything but WBTV, we prefer them over any of the others.
Don't watch the 4:30pm show, then. It's basically all Brigida Mack and Jacinda Garabito talking about which celebrities are shacking up with/married to/out drinking with whom and a bunch of pop culture/fluff crap while Jamie Boll looks embarrassed. Total waste of a half-hour. It's a shame to see a good news man like Boll reduced to this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
5,932 posts, read 6,643,319 times
Reputation: 27530
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Colleen is capable of doing interviews. I think that she made a comment, one day of being or turning 40. She has seemed embarrassed by the nonsence more than once.

Colleen is not the problem. The producer is.
Hate to bring up an old thread and I respect your media background, BUT...

Sorry, but I don't see the talent in her. The best thing they did was move her off the morning news. It was difficult to wake up to her phoneyness in the morning; trying to act like a hipster about half her age. Ugh!

At least when that trainwreck of a show she's doing now is on, I am safely in my office being productive.

I do want to add that Anjanette Flowers has been a great addition to the morning news broadcast. She's a professional.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,845 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Reputation: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Hate to bring up an old thread and I respect your media background, BUT...

Sorry, but I don't see the talent in her. The best thing they did was move her off the morning news. It was difficult to wake up to her phoneyness in the morning; trying to act like a hipster about half her age. Ugh!

At least when that trainwreck of a show she's doing now is on, I am safely in my office being productive.

I do want to add that Anjanette Flowers has been a great addition to the morning news broadcast. She's a professional.
Is Coleen a great journalist? No. Was Anjanette Flowers the answer? Apparently the powers-that-be felt not. They switched her weekend replacement with Jeff Campbell. If that wasn't enough for you, they brought in the traffic bimbo. Traffic reporters only need some personality & a little polish. That woman is a train wreck, in my opinion.

I am a female. I remember when women were not allowed to be newscasters. I was excited to see Barbara Walters, on a national level, & Jessica Savitch, on a local level, doing news. I feel sorry for Larry Sprinkle. That is the worst combination of personalities that I have ever seen. I keep expecting a cat fight to break out on the set.

I don't think that I'm wrong. They tried both women at noon. Then one & then the other. Now, for some time, Bobby Sisk & Dion Lim switch off coming in early to do the noon news. Larry Sprinkle is visibly relaxed at noon.

Anjanette is now off on maternity leave, & they have been parading others in to work the show. The weekend morning anchor, Amy, is better than the totally unmemorable replacement for Jeff Campbell, in my opinion. At least the constant tension is gone. Anjanette does a fine job by herself, but in my opinion isn't a good choice for a team.

If you like it, then you must like on-set tension better than I do. If they hadn't expanded the show to the point that they have, I'd say, just give the time to Larry & tell him, knock yourself out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 AM
 
1,664 posts, read 1,510,239 times
Reputation: 532
I agree about Larry. I don't know what they are thinking at that channel if they want to put out at least a sliver of the idea they might be running a professional news program. I think the trio of Anjanette Flowers, that blond haired baby talking barbie, and that rhonda girl with her laptop sitting there with Larry Sprinkle to be a sad sad sad sight. It's like a trio of silly high school girls giggling over stuff their "grand dad" doesn't understand. (Not trying to insult Larry Sprinkle as he is obviously putting up with it. But then again he did a commercial from inside a toilet for years so may this isn't so bad. )

I'm not sure why they relegated Jeff Campbell to street reporter. He seemed to have a bit of professionalism to him that one would expect of a news anchor. I thought he and Larry Sprinkle made a good team for midday.

I used to watch the morning WCNC news because it was the least offensive to my ears but I don't now. I don't watch any of them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,845 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Reputation: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I agree about Larry. I don't know what they are thinking at that channel if they want to put out at least a sliver of the idea they might be running a professional news program. I think the trio of Anjanette Flowers, that blond haired baby talking barbie, and that rhonda girl with her laptop sitting there with Larry Sprinkle to be a sad sad sad sight. It's like a trio of silly high school girls giggling over stuff their "grand dad" doesn't understand. (Not trying to insult Larry Sprinkle as he is obviously putting up with it. But then again he did a commercial from inside a toilet for years so may this isn't so bad. )

I'm not sure why they relegated Jeff Campbell to street reporter. He seemed to have a bit of professionalism to him that one would expect of a news anchor. I thought he and Larry Sprinkle made a good team for midday.

I used to watch the morning WCNC news because it was the least offensive to my ears but I don't now. I don't watch any of them.
I thoroughly enjoy Larry. I've been watching major market broadcasters for decades & worked with many. Larry got on just fine with both Colleen & Jeff. He still gets on fine with Colleen when he does his pet adoption segment on her show, on Tuesdays. They had a good on-air rapport. I'd love to know what happened with the move of Jeff to weekend evening anchor & reporter. That is a demotion.

Blondie has little personality, which is needed on a morning team. The traffic girl is just awful.

When Anjanette went on maternity leave, they brought Amy on & she interacted with Larry, while Blondie sat like a bump on a log. Now it's Ira. It's like a contest to see who has less personality.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top