Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 PM

299 posts, read 589,758 times

Advertisements

We're doing the rounds and are looking at a variety.
Before you scratch your heads about the distance between these just understand that our real estate situation is very up in the air at the moment (understatement of the decade).

Thanks for your input (and I hope this won't turn into a my-school-is-better-than-your-school pissing match )

Cannon
Providence Day
Davidson Day
Charlotte Latin
British American School.

Any real world experience with these is especially appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
We're doing the rounds and are looking at a variety.
Before you scratch your heads about the distance between these just understand that our real estate situation is very up in the air at the moment (understatement of the decade).

Thanks for your input (and I hope this won't turn into a my-school-is-better-than-your-school pissing match )

Cannon
Providence Day
Davidson Day
Charlotte Latin
British American School.

Any real world experience with these is especially appreciated.

Thank you!
The truth is, they all have a lot to offer. The only one I've ever heard any complaint about in any way, shape or form is the British American School, but I have no first hand knowledge of it.

On your list Providence Day would be considered #1 with Charlotte Latin following closely behind.

Just wondering why your list doesn't include the other heavy hitters, Country Day and Charlotte Christian?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 PM

299 posts, read 589,758 times
Thank you, Loves.

I'm interested to hear the complaint you heard about BAS, if you don't mind.

We didn't consider any parochial schools because we're a completely secular family and we nixed Country Day for personal reasons.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
Thank you, Loves.

I'm interested to hear the complaint you heard about BAS, if you don't mind.

We didn't consider any parochial schools because we're a completely secular family and we nixed Country Day for personal reasons.
It was a while back, but I vaguely remember the comment being they hadn't grown like they had projected and the person didn't feel as though the school was living up to all it promised to deliver when it got started.

And it's true, compared to the big guns of private schools in Charlotte it's barely been around - the others have long standing traditions of excellence well established for decades.

But I found this older thread with comments that might interest you. Check out #9 in particular

European Family Moving to Charlotte

Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
One of my neighbors goes to Cannon. He's been very happy there and we have good public schools that he could go to if he wanted too.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM

159 posts, read 393,381 times
I've been to Charlotte County Day, Cannon and Davidson Day. I'm visiting Providence Day and Latin within the next two weeks.

CCD was extremely impressive and is my current forerunner. Excellent teaching philosophy. Nice, clean class rooms with excellent student-teacher ratio. Strong curriculum with many extras Cannon didn't offer. Enthusiastic staff, teachers and students. Great technology in very class room, computer, science lab and library. Great school.

Cannon was a nice school with a lot of offer but I would only send my children here if it was the only option, ie, I lived in the area and it would be too difficult to get down to S Charlotte

Davidson Day - I wouldn't even include it on this list if you're looking for a serious school, with serious credentials that will give your child an excellent shot of getting into a top university. Davidson Day isn't even in the same league.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck

Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 PM

24 posts, read 59,561 times
My child was at Charlotte Latin for a few years. It was a great school and I had no problems with it except (in my opinion) it just wasn't worth the money. I had friends whose children were going to Hawk Ridge and other S. Charlotte public schools who were getting a similar education. My child didn't seem a bit ahead (ha ha) academically, even after shelling out the big bucks. Furthermore, his educational experiences weren't superior enough to justify spending so much money. My hubby and I decided to put that money elsewhere and opted out of private schools.

I've never heard anything bad about any of your options, but Charlotte Latin and Providence Day are the best known. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,960 times
I don't know if you are thinking of living to the west/south-west of Charlotte, but if so you may want to consider Gaston Day School. My son has been attending since 8th grade (he's in 12 grade now) and we are very, very pleased with his progress there. It's a small school, with small class sizes and our son has blossomed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: