U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,324,072 times

Advertisements

To my veteran friends –
I have found a number of offers that are out there for veterans this coming week – to honor your service. A number of restaurants are happy to serve you and if you time it correctly, you sure could eat yourself full over the course of several days since not everyone has their offer on the actual day! If you can, please make use of at least one of these offers. And if you know of other veterans – please pass this e-mail along to them.
And thank you for your service!
Sara
USAF veteran

Various Veterans Day (Week) offers

Applebee’s Restaurant
o Free dinners (from limited menu) to veterans and active-duty on Veterans Day; beverages and gratuity not included
o Available only at participating Applebee’s restaurants
http:// Welcome to Applebee's® vetsDay/default.aspx

Outback Steakhouse
o Free Bloomin’ Onion and one non-alcoholic beverage on Veterans Day
o Available at all Outback Steakhouses in the country on Veterans Day
Media Alerts - Outback Steakhouse

UNO Chicago Grill
o Free entree or individual pizza (with an entree or pizza purchase of equal or greater value)
http://www.unos.com/vet1.html (broken link)

Golden Corral - “Military Appreciation Monday” – Nov. 15
o Free meal to veterans, active duty, National Guard, and Reserve ser-vice members
Military :: Golden Corral

National parks, forests and monument (Nov. 11)
o Admission is free to everyone on Veterans Day
National Park Service Press Releases

Georgia Aquarium (Nov. 8-14)
o All active, retired, Reserve, Guard veterans and their families will re-ceive a general admission ticket for only $15 each.
Convention Link - The Georgia Aquarium

Colonial Williamsburg (Nov. 11-14)
o Free admission Nov. 11-14 for active-duty military, guard and reservists, retirees, veterans and their dependents.
o This deal includes free parking, admission to the short film about Williamsburg, and use of the site’s shuttle buses.
o Free “Honoring Service to America” passes will be provided to immediate family members of currently deployed troops with appropriate identification.
Current Ticket Offers : The official site of Colonial Williamsburg

Subway – Free Six Inch Sub. Many subway locations offer a free six inch sub to military veterans on Veteran’s Day. However, Subway restaurants are franchises, so this offer may only be available in select locations. Please contact your local Subway for more information regarding Veteran’s day specials.

McCormick & Schmick's Complimentary Lunch or Dinner – Nov. 7
The McCormick & Schmick's Veterans Appreciation Event on Sunday, November 7, 2010 is offered at participating restaurants to veterans defined as a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable. McCormick & Schmick’s is partnering with its website developer The Revere Group to highly encourage reservations for the Veterans Appreciation Event, as tables fill up quickly for this event each year. Guests can easily make their reservations online through the restaurant's website at McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Seafood, Aged Steaks, Salads, Pastas.

Home Depot and Lowe’s Military Discount – EVERY DAY!!
Home Depot and Lowe’s have long been known to offer a 10% holiday discount to military members and their families, and in many cases veterans and retirees. These promotions were usually limited to the main military holidays such as Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Veterans Day. Well, no longer – both companies have just announced these offers are available every day of the week! Learn more.

Free Hugo® Canes for Veterans.
Sam’s Club® locations nationwide will distribute 36,000 Hugo® canes free of charge on November 10th, 11th and 12th, 2010 to U.S. military veterans in need of mobility assistance. Limited quantities available, while supplies last. Sam’s Club® Membership is not required, but proof of military service may be required. For more information, visit HugoSalutes.com.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

45,270 posts, read 85,895,906 times
Nice post Saralee

I'm not a vet, but I sure appreciate them

Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM

8,219 posts, read 11,231,425 times
good post........my better half is a veteran.

Lowe's doesn't honor their veteran discount without a lot of drama and trouble.
They will no longer accept the DD214 and that is all the proof that many veterans
hold.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM

3,115 posts, read 5,927,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

They will no longer accept the DD214 and that is all the proof that many veterans
hold.
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. I'm sure some moron spoiled it for the whole bunch.

Thanks for the list Saralee! I notice more places doing this every year, and it would be great to see a business be in the minority to not honor vets on Veterans day.

I also read that Sport Clips is giving free haircuts that day to active military and vets, and military members and their families receive free admission to Sea World.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

hold.
Unfortunately, a lot of people abused these privileges by posing as veterans and many venues limited what would be accepted as valid ID. I don't shop at Home Depot however, I am a frequent Lowe's customer and I've never experienced any trouble utilizing the veteran discount. In fact, I've even had receipts adjusted at a later date because I wasn't carrying my ID at the time of purchase.

Lowe's official policy requires a photo ID. In my case, I use the Veterans Universal Access Identification card. However, while Lowe's official policy states it must be a picture ID, not in one instance have I seen management not accept a DD214. In fact, I observed this today at a Lowe's in Charlotte.

I find that people generally don't want to give a hard time, it's just weeding out people who only wish to take advantage is extremely time consuming. So my advice would be that if your husband wishes to use his DD214 at Lowe's, go directly to the manager and graciously request that they accept that as proof.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 PM

By the way, the Lowe's I was at this morning is located on Iverson Way in Charlotte. When I commented that I was delighted that they didn't give the gentleman a hard time even though I realized acceptance of the DD214 was in conflict with official store policy, the associate handling the matter replied that she "never would give a veteran a difficult time". Lowe's seems to be very understanding that many veterans ONLY have a DD214 as proof of service and apparently, many veterans call to the store in advance if making larger purchases, especially, just to make sure it won't be an issue.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people abused these privileges by posing as veterans and many venues limited what would be accepted as valid ID. I don't shop at Home Depot however, I am a frequent Lowe's customer and I've never experienced any trouble utilizing the veteran discount. In fact, I've even had receipts adjusted at a later date because I wasn't carrying my ID at the time of purchase.

Lowe's official policy requires a photo ID. In my case, I use the Veterans Universal Access Identification card. However, while Lowe's official policy states it must be a picture ID, not in one instance have I seen management not accept a DD214. In fact, I observed this today at a Lowe's in Charlotte.

I find that people generally don't want to give a hard time, it's just weeding out people who only wish to take advantage is extremely time consuming. So my advice would be that if your husband wishes to use his DD214 at Lowe's, go directly to the manager and graciously request that they accept that as proof.

The Lowe's corporate policy is to not accept ANY DD214's. If a store is in fact accepting them they are breaking policy. The Lowe's in Belmont and Gastonia do not honor the DD214 so therefore we no longer shop there.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 AM

Yes, understood. And I agree that when one doesn't agree with a store's policies they shouldn't patronize the business. It's why I stay far, far away from Wal Mart.

I believe that making allowances for veterans in this instance is good customer relations in spite of a policy that makes the discount inaccessible to a number of people.

Golden Corral doesn't require any proof and if anyone's ever been there on Military Appreciation Day, it's quite obvious!!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM

We don't visit WM either....

I can only imagine what Golden Corral is like on that day! Whew! LOL

Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 AM

10,392 posts, read 8,324,998 times
Yep ...a vet of Johnson's folly. Didn't want to go... but went anyway....Canada gets too cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte