U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:37 AM

436 posts, read 512,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
However I sometimes wish it would be used in lanes that a right on red can be done as I seen drivers just sit there with no traffic coming from other direction
Flashing yellow arrow can not be used when the cross street has a green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I notice in certain intersections, I think it was in Huntersville it will start flashing yellow then switch to green arrow (a method that should be used in any high volume intersection).
I like this as sometimes there really isnt a break in traffic to make the turn under flashing yellow.
The decision on whether the green arrow comes first or the flashing yellow arrow comes first is often forced by the overall timing plan. To facilitate signal progression, many signals have the green arrow first in one direction on the major street, but the flashing yellow arrow first in the other direction.

Also note that it is much harder to use vehicle detectors if the green arrow comes last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
It appears these go through a cycle, flashing yellow, then solid green, every other cycle.
What you are seeing is a detection system that does not call the green arrow unless there are at least three cars waiting when the green arrow can appear.

Note that a longer green arrow period means that other traffic gets less time. If the intersection is close to saturation use, they have to cut back on the minor flows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
There's one near the Arboretum. It took me by surprise as it was random. It started out flashing yellow, so I am watching intently for a break in traffic. About a few minutes later, it turned into a steady green...but cars were still coming.
This seems to be a light that violates the federal standards. Maybe it is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Just start with a damn green arrow and then turn to yellow!
The order depends on where the signal is in the overall timing plan. Making all the signals use the same sequence causes inefficiencies and makes cars have to stop more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiesss View Post
We are having a major traffic light problem in Charlotte. Yelllow arrows are not blinking for caution, they are solid yellow while the oncoming cars have a green light that should be a red light. I believe there is a City Computer Programming problem in our city.
This is the yellow trap problem the flashing yellow arrow is designed to end.

If there is a flashing yellow arrow there, it is installed wrong and violates the federal standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I hate them! They appeared in Charlotte a few years back, and I have always despised them. I live in Seattle now, and they have them here, too. They suck.
You are in the minority. The flashing yellow arrow is a federal standard. Only three states do not have the flashing yellow arrow:

Maryland - their legislature blocked it.
Pennsylvania - They are so far from federal standards that it is pitiful.
West Virginia - They have not yet done anything about it.

The flashing yellow arrow is here to stay. The problem is that too many officials install it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 PM

373 posts, read 669,640 times
Luv them.
Always have from day one.
They make sense.

Can we just get rid of all of these useless No-Turn On Red signs now?
They congest traffic all over town and cause accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte