U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 PM

4,756 posts, read 6,072,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Really, people living outside of the major metros in any part in the US are pretty similar (small-town minded). Didn't the Gov of PA once state about the political demographics of his state - "Between Pittsburgh and Philly is Alabama".
It's commonly referred to as Pennsyltucky and I grew up there. I lived in Johnstown, now a town of only 21,000 used to be more like 70,000 from what I remember. When I was 6 we moved to a small town called New Florence and then Seward (used to be called Nineveh). I remember growing up listening to country music on the radio. We watched Hee Haw every week ("I'm a pickin' and I'm a grinnin'.") We weren't living in the south but I definitely didn't identify with Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.

Despite it's problems I still miss Pennsylvania.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Have you been to Ballantyne? Or western Union County?

Yeah. That was what's called a joke. You only have to look at the difference in the GOP primaries in states like Illinois vs. states like Miss. and Ala. Hate-filled politics reigns in the South, not so much in the North.

Crime rates have for a century at least been higher in the South than in other areas of the country. It's a convenient statistical fact that Southerners like to ignore. No, bugtussle, NC is far more violent than bugtussle WI. Wisconsin's rate of 276 crimes per 1,000 residents is lower than N.C's rate of 486 crimes per 1,000 residents. Or S.C.'s 726 crimes per 1,000 residents. http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0308.pdf.

The South celebrates stupid to a degree that other areas of the country do not.
LOL, Regardless, race relations are better in the South, we actually TALK and LIVE with each other! It's the BIG FAKE up North...dealt with it too much! Anyway, other than the South, generally, the only place you'll find significant populations of black people is in big cities. Speaking of hate-filled, the klan and white militia are EVERYWHERE in the US. Sure, we're religious zealots but hate-filled? I had never experienced racism till I got "up" north, born and raised in bugtussle, NC. That mason-dixon thingy isn't what I thought it was.

Ballantyne is small potatoes compared to some of the stuff up there. Don't you know? Everything down south is small potatoes compared to anywhere else, cept nascar and square dancing.

Speaking of stupid, haven't you watched Jersey Shore? Just keeping up with stereotypes. No, you just THINK you're smarter (see D+ and C- reference in other post); trust me, we celebrate stupid as a means of not taking ourselves too seriously....some of you guys crack me up - a difference in dialect doesn't make you more intelligent.

So, crime is a little higher in bugtussle, NC than bugtussle, midwest...yawn. Matter of fact, been robbed to places (car break-in)), Denver, CO and PG County Maryland. Ask me where I think it's safer?

I prefer living here for a variety of reasons but the south ain't got a lock on uneducated and backwoods, you can't be serious.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,065,585 times
Quote:
Have you been to Ballantyne? Or western Union County?

Yeah. That was what's called a joke. You only have to look at the difference in the GOP primaries in states like Illinois vs. states like Miss. and Ala. Hate-filled politics reigns in the South, not so much in the North.

Crime rates have for a century at least been higher in the South than in other areas of the country. It's a convenient statistical fact that Southerners like to ignore. No, bugtussle, NC is far more violent than bugtussle WI. Wisconsin's rate of 276 crimes per 1,000 residents is lower than N.C's rate of 486 crimes per 1,000 residents. Or S.C.'s 726 crimes per 1,000 residents. http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0308.pdf.

The South celebrates stupid to a degree that other areas of the country do not.

I think people sometimes forget that the more urban areas of North Carolina don't really come close to matching the rest of the Southeast.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
Quote:
LOL, Regardless, race relations are better in the South, we actually TALK and LIVE with each other! It's the BIG FAKE up North...dealt with it too much! Anyway, other than the South, generally, the only place you'll find significant populations of black people is in big cities. Speaking of hate-filled, the klan and white militia are EVERYWHERE in the US. Sure, we're religious zealots but hate-filled? I had never experienced racism till I got "up" north, born and raised in bugtussle, NC. That mason-dixon thingy isn't what I thought it was.
Surely, you jest? How many black people do you see on a given day in Southeast Charlotte? A handful. How many white people do you see in a given day in west Charlotte? Yes, there is more residential segregation up North. But I've just found race more out in the open in the North. Folks pretend it's not a problem around here, but if you could hear what some people whisper behind close doors. There is the big fake.

Quote:
Ballantyne is small potatoes compared to some of the stuff up there. Don't you know? Everything down south is small potatoes compared to anywhere else, cept nascar and square dancing.
Not sure how to respond to this. Yes, there is more wealth in the Northeast and to a lesser degree other areas of the country. But most people are just as down to earth (and less defensive about it) in other parts of the country than the South. NYCers can be obnoxious with their love for their city, but so can self-professed "real Southerners."

Quote:
Speaking of stupid, haven't you watched Jersey Shore? Just keeping up with stereotypes. No, you just THINK you're smarter (see D+ and C- reference in other post); trust me, we celebrate stupid as a means of not taking ourselves too seriously....some of you guys crack me up - a difference in dialect doesn't make you more intelligent.
I was born and raised in NC. I have relatives in the North. For the most part, I've found Northern people more open to new experiences, more likely to follow you when you talk about news, more likely to engage in a discussion without reverting to platitudes or religious talk, less derogatory of foreign cultures. It's a generalization, sure, and I've been pleasantly surprised a few times, but that's been my experience.

Quote:
So, crime is a little higher in bugtussle, NC than bugtussle, midwest...yawn. Matter of fact, been robbed to places (car break-in)), Denver, CO and PG County Maryland. Ask me where I think it's safer?
You characterize 76 percent higher as "a little bit"? OK. It really doesn't matter where you think it's safer, the numbers tell the story. Prince Georges, MD is technically "the South" by the Census definition.

Quote:
I prefer living here for a variety of reasons but the south ain't got a lock on uneducated and backwoods, you can't be serious.
I didn't say it had a "lock" on uneducated. But it sure has a higher percentage. Even among the seemingly "educated."

The South is changing, though, and I'm quite happy about that.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Quote:
Surely, you jest? How many black people do you see on a given day in Southeast Charlotte? A handful. How many white people do you see in a given day in west Charlotte? Yes, there is more residential segregation up North. But I've just found race more out in the open in the North. Folks pretend it's not a problem around here, but if you could hear what some people whisper behind close doors. There is the big fake.

Not sure how to respond to this. Yes, there is more wealth in the Northeast and to a lesser degree other areas of the country. But most people are just as down to earth (and less defensive about it) in other parts of the country than the South. NYCers can be obnoxious with their love for their city, but so can self-professed "real Southerners."

I was born and raised in NC. I have relatives in the North. For the most part, I've found Northern people more open to new experiences, more likely to follow you when you talk about news, more likely to engage in a discussion without reverting to platitudes or religious talk, less derogatory of foreign cultures. It's a generalization, sure, and I've been pleasantly surprised a few times, but that's been my experience.

You characterize 76 percent higher as "a little bit"? OK. It really doesn't matter where you think it's safer, the numbers tell the story. Prince Georges, MD is technically "the South" by the Census definition.

I didn't say it had a "lock" on uneducated. But it sure has a higher percentage. Even among the seemingly "educated."

ahha..I tried on the crime part in another thread. Numbers and facts mean nothing to some down here

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
so is it still a fact that Newark NJ is safer than Matthews?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
so is it still a fact that Newark NJ is safer than Matthews?

Actually no..I noted earlier I made a mistake on Matthews..its only a 5 out of 10 for violent crime. Newark is a 7 ...

But for property crime 6 for Newark ...7 for Matthews... I know , I know ..it sounds nuts..

Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
I'm from Pittsburgh and race relations are horrible up north. I've also lived in Philly, NYC as well... when I moved down south for college it was an eye opener.

I had all these preconceived notions regarding race in the soutth and they were waaaay off base. I think this is the main issue with the north vs south when it comes to race. Northerners tend to think since the north was free they are ahead or progressive when it comes to racism. That attitude is the primary reason the north has huge issues with race. One other thing about the north. When you go to outside the major cities and enter Pennsyltucky you won't see that many blacks.. down south you see blacks everywhere.

Down south they already had that ugly confrontation with race so they are ahead of the game.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm from Pittsburgh and race relations are horrible up north. I've also lived in Philly, NYC as well... when I moved down south for college it was an eye opener.

I had all these preconceived notions regarding race in the soutth and they were waaaay off base. I think this is the main issue with the north vs south when it comes to race. Northerners tend to think since the north was free they are ahead or progressive when it comes to racism. That attitude is the primary reason the north has huge issues with race. One other thing about the north. When you go to outside the major cities and enter Pennsyltucky you won't see that many blacks.. down south you see blacks everywhere.

Down south they already had that ugly confrontation with race so they are ahead of the game.

Huge issues with race up north??? Where ? Talk about generalizing...yeesh

Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:

Those are extreme generalizations and personal experiences that hugely mischaracterize the intelligence level of southerners. In my experiences and circles, I've engaged in thought provoking dialogue/conversation in every region of the US without labeling one as being superior. Again, these differences are attributable to individual personality types, education levels and other non-region related influences.

The unrealistic portrayal and perception about the south is unbelievable. Therefore, there is a tendency to THINK race relations are significantly better elsewhere....the "big fake". Talk is cheap and there is heap of it there, I will give you that. The slums and ghettos in northeastern cities are essentially 3rd world countries that are so far removed from society, people in those areas have become numb to the plight.

If you think anyone living in Northern VA, DC or MD think they're in the south, I cannot take you seriously. The mason-dixon line isn't a culture demarcation. There are folk in DC that don't realize the NC border is a mere 3 hour drive south.

Did the south have some growing up to do? Sure, especially to become economically competitive with other regions given the historical agricultural and textile based industries. But as for living here, the easy-going less-stress quality of life has always been abundant. Some seem to take this type of lifestyle for being intellectually-challenged because their average scores are a C- and we're a D+. I guess raising your child up north assures one of a chance at an IVY league education. I'm not undervaluing the importance of a proper education but the difference in the numbers aren't to the point of any kid attending the average public school in Charlotte or the average public school up north will factor into why he/she didn't receive a scholarship to Harvard.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 03-28-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte