U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,030,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I could live with the latest 11th hour proposal:

Historic vote on school closings, relocations is tonight - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/09/1823733/school-board-vote-is-tonight.html - broken link)

Basically Waddel becomes the language academy but retains its name, Harding's IB students move to Phillip O Berry and Harding gets to remain a neighborhood school.
I like the proposal too. I think Gorman's salary could be an issue. Why have such a high salary but shut down schools. Now I'm not saying reducing his salary could save a school but it does call to question the priorities of CMS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:32 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I like the proposal too. I think Gorman's salary could be an issue. Why have such a high salary but shut down schools. Now I'm not saying reducing his salary could save a school but it does call to question the priorities of CMS.
I say he should get a bonus every time a group blocks his driveway at home.

That's one issue I see with the transparency the board is using. Especially the chairman going to PTA meetings and everything else.

Instead of looking super-secret, it looks more thrown together because we are seeing more of how the sausage is made.

I applaud them for sticking their neck out like that though. I'm sure it was easier when the money was flowing better.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I say he should get a bonus every time a group blocks his driveway at home.

That's one issue I see with the transparency the board is using. Especially the chairman going to PTA meetings and everything else.

Instead of looking super-secret, it looks more thrown together because we are seeing more of how the sausage is made.

I applaud them for sticking their neck out like that though. I'm sure it was easier when the money was flowing better.
Perhaps his driveway wouldn't be blocked if he didn't bonus so much while schools were about to close. Their are so many ways to look at this. If you have grown up in CMS and seen the various schools, from West Charlotte, Harding, Independence, Providence, and Myers Park then you could understand the frustration that people are getting. If you haven't, you're really just a spectator looking at stats on paper without knowing the actual feel. This is a general statement and not directed towards anyone.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM

171 posts, read 277,403 times
Yep in regards to growing up in CMS. I remember when CMS would not allow Black children to attend school with all other races. CMS went to court to prevent Blacks from attending White schools. They ended up losing of course, but memories are long on the subject and there are plenty of people around who remember this time. This is why there is a sensitivity to the subject.

Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,410,324 times
I'm another one who thinks it is wrong to protest outside of someone's home. My main concern is the possibility of things getting out of hand, a possible attack on a family member, damage to property, etc.

I diagree with closing schools. I really believe there is another way to do this, a small part of it being to reduce his salary until he can show some results worthy of such high compensation, and kill the bonuses. Expecting a bonus these days as a government employee is just wrong given the mess the same people have helped create. None of us could expect a bonus. Heck, we probably couldn't expect to keep our jobs if we failed miserably at them. Not saying he has failed, but I certianly am not saying he has succeeded.

My biggest concern is what happens when we need those schools again in just a few years because the ones that survived closing are at or beyond cpacity and there is nowhere to put anymore trailers. I hope this outrage lives on when someone dares propose that we build new schools when we could have made it until then with some adjustments.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:

You need to understand the bigger picture.

The salary Gorman makes is very standard for a man in his position.

A board has to be competitive in benefits, bonuses and salary when hiring or they simply will not get the most qualified person for this very important job.

Gorman has done/is doing a very good job for what he has to work with and around. CMS was smart to get him when they did, 3 other systems wanted him at the time.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:11 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
They just did the "no justice no peace" chant again. WBT radio is covering it as well as a good chat session at Charlotte Observer's website. It is picking up tweets too.

Again, have we seen the NAACP start chanting inside a meeting room like this elsewhere? I agree with what is said above about things getting out of hand.

I'm all for protest but these two items are not appropriate. What good is that chant? Who does it help? What does it do but increase the adrenaline?

Is anyone listening to that going to be motivated to agree with someone chanting "no peace" during a public meeting INSIDE the meeting room?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 PM

171 posts, read 311,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I COMPLETELY agree with you - this is low class and wrong.

I'm trying to remember when the NAALCP did even one thing that was either classy or right.

- D

Last edited by diggums; 11-09-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 PM

171 posts, read 311,372 times
Quote:
I am an advocate of the NAACP

Wow. Just, wow. You must not know much about the NAALCP.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Wow. Just, wow. You must not know much about the NAALCP.
I actually know quite a bit. Shall I start with W.E.B. DuBois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte