Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times

Advertisements

Not trying to come across as taking your comments "personal". My tone is calm. I DO take it personal when the victim mentality is shoved down our throats at the expense of our tax money, and the efficiency of our political system. I can not personally understand how some people in our community feel about how they are being mistreated. I hate that they feel that way. At the same time, I try to not let emotions lead me in life, as they get in the way of rational thought and reasonable action. We have to work together, and if certain people within our community will not think reasonably and look at things objectively, then they will lose out. Don't worry. I don't take things "personal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Let me tell you what I "know" I "know" that I pay taxes to our local, state and federal government. These taxes come in many different ways: they get a percentage of my hard-earned income; they tax me when I buy groceries with what I have left over; they tax me when I need some socks; they tax me when I have to put gas in my truck to get to work. Oh - and when I die, they get a bunch of my money again. CMS is one place that benefits from my tax money. If they have to make decisions that make fiscal sense and keeps them from dropping deeper into a hole and taking more of my money - I say more power to them. The school systems all across this country are run extremely inefficiently and are wasting billions of dollars in our tax money. Any step to streamline and improve the effiency, in my book, is a step in the right direction. As long as these steps do not physically harm anyone, that is. That's what I "know".

Now we have community bully organizations that are using trashy tactics to try to force their will on the community - because of their skin color. Did we not go through this as a nation before? How did that go? I have no doubt that things will be difficult for a period of time for many students, parents, and staff. But who is not suffering some discomfort in this economy? I have taken some furlough days at work earlier this year. My brother has taken a cut in salary. There are companies laying off people left and right. So now we have these people screaming racism and demanding "justice" because their kid has to go to a different school! Seriously! I would suggest getting a grip on the real world and learning to give a little - keeping in mind you are not giving in to racists. The whole idea that this is racist is vomit-inducing. Also to see the way those people made complete a*ses of themselves at the meeting tonite shows they are interested in violence and exclusive treatment, all the while using classless techniques, screaming in peoples' faces and being disobedient to our laws. What a great example to our young people. Just a thought: the rest of us know that life isn't always easy and perfect for us - but we don't threaten violence and cause disruption.
Very well said. Watching this meeting tonight makes me sick. I don't think I have ever seen so many rude people in one place. The fact is that CMS does not have the option to continue wasting money the way they have in the past. Likely, there will be even more schools closed next year as the economy gets even worse. It's time for the parents and mentors of all kids to step up and act like adults.

Watching the behavior of people at this meeting tonight reminds me of why so many kids are failing in school and in life.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Not trying to come across as taking your comments "personal". My tone is calm. I DO take it personal when the victim mentality is shoved down our throats at the expense of our tax money, and the efficiency of our political system. I can not personally understand how some people in our community feel about how they are being mistreated. I hate that they feel that way. At the same time, I try to not let emotions lead me in life, as they get in the way of rational thought and reasonable action. We have to work together, and if certain people within our community will not think reasonably and look at things objectively, then they will lose out. Don't worry. I don't take things "personal".
I got you. I saw that you took a statement I made and responded to something I wasn't even talking about. But if you go to West Charlotte High School and then Providence High School you'll see what I'm referring to. As far as the victim mentallity being shoved down the throat, what group in this nation doesn't portray themselves as victims fighting for justice? It's not unique to NAACP. Let's not act like they're the only ones doing this. Once again, this is a general statement.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
It's time for the parents and mentors of all kids to step up and act like adults.

Watching the behavior of people at this meeting tonight reminds me of why so many kids are failing in school and in life.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I understand the bigger picture. If you notice I did state how I don't come to the conclusion that reducing his salary, say $15,000 will save a school. That reasoning just doesn't make sense. What I'm saying is that I can see how his high salary can spark some fervor when teacher's are being laid off and schools face being closed. However, I do support Gorman cuz I remember one time he did refuse a bonus due to the economic situation. He really is a classy guy and CMS is lucky to have him.

I am merely stating as one who has grown up in CMS and as a minority I can see why some are highly upset, and frankly pissed at this situation. Like I said, unless you have grown in CMS and understand all the dynamics that happen, you're merely JUST a spectator in this situation, which has been brewing for years. I'm surprised it's took this long.

All that being said, CMS is a wonderful school system and is doing the best with what they have.

One of my sons graduated from Harding - he was in the system since kindergarten back in the 80's. Believe me, I'm as familiar with CMS as you are.

Gorman's salary is a non-issue, and anyone who tries to make it part of the current controversey is on the wrong track.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
One of my sons graduated from Harding - he was in the system since kindergarten back in the 80's. Believe me, I'm as familiar with CMS as you are.

Gorman's salary is a non-issue, and anyone who tries to make it part of the current controversey is on the wrong track.
Then you probably aware of (probably moreso than I am as I was a kid in the 80s and 90s) the complexity of the issue at hand. The frustration exhibited by the protesters has been brewing for years. Like I said before, I don't agree with protesting at a private residence. They clearly over stepped their lines. However, I don't blame them for their aggrivation.

Like I said I raise the salary to make a point. Gorman, keeps his salary and its rather high (as expected), teachers who are basically the footsoldiers of the educational system face low wages and some face lay off (while some deserve it others don't), and some schools face shut down and probably shouldn't. I would like to see how much schools are funded by CMS and see if some schools that face being closed are under funded. Were those figures open to the public?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Not sure if this is exactly the mission of the NAALCP, but Wikipeida states that the mission is "to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination."

I'm assuming that is the NAALCP's stated mission because Wiki has it in quotes. Perhaps it is not.

But if it is, do you really buy that? I mean, 50 years ago, perhaps. Do you really believe it promotes that these days?

Note the words "all persons." Really? I mean, really?

These days, such a stated mission of the NAALCP is just a bunch of b.s. It is none of that.
I would prefer that we stick with their legal name in this conversation. Whether they deserve respect for the protest that is at the heart of this thread or not, I think it is the civil thing to do.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Then you probably aware of (probably moreso than I am as I was a kid in the 80s and 90s) the complexity of the issue at hand. The frustration exhibited by the protesters has been brewing for years. Like I said before, I don't agree with protesting at a private residence. They clearly over stepped their lines. However, I don't blame them for their aggrivation.

Like I said I raise the salary to make a point. Gorman, keeps his salary and its rather high (as expected), teachers who are basically the footsoldiers of the educational system face low wages and some face lay off (while some deserve it others don't), and some schools face shut down and probably shouldn't. I would like to see how much schools are funded by CMS and see if some schools that face being closed are under funded. Were those figures open to the public?
I see where you are coming from

And I appreciate all your thoughtful, civil posts on this thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM

171 posts, read 357,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I would prefer that we stick with their legal name in this conversation. Whether they deserve respect for the protest that is at the heart of this thread or not, I think it is the civil thing to do.
They don't deserve respect for anything - without even considering the protest that is discussed in this thread.

And I call them the NAALCP because it is the truth. It isn't the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. It is the National Association for the Advancement of Liberal Colored People.

If the "colored" person is a conservative, the NAALCP will not protect the person or go to bat for the person at all. In fact, the NAALCP will attack and smear the conservative colored person because, as I said above, the NAALCP works hard to keep their people down. At least that is how it appears. I wish it were not true, as the intent of the NAALCP when it was formed was a noble one.

It is what it is. Straight talk, nothing more.

Also, while I respect you and your request, my choice in using NAALCP over NAACP is my choice, it is not offensive, and, while I've noted your request, I'm afraid I must deny your request.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I see where you are coming from

And I appreciate all your thoughtful, civil posts on this thread
And I appreciate yours. If it wasn't for you, Ani, Southbound295, and a few others I would probably never post on the Charlotte forum. I think its possible to disagree strongly about vairious political stances and still be civil Americans. Although sometimes on these forums I question that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte