Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:03 PM

55 posts, read 159,226 times

Advertisements

Hi Sara,

As for my comment "now there is inclusion", I was referring to when I was a kid, which was before it became popular. You would never, ever have non-neurotypical kids in a regular classroom. They were all lumped into one classroom, which was a shame, as they all had different issues and struggles. I can't imagine my child in one of those as my child is high functioning and quite bright. The result was kids that are now mainstreamed used to be ignored and/or ostracized, because they were in that "special class". How horrible, right? Glad things have changed since then!

Glad to hear "teaching to the test" is not a local issue. It is WAY out of hand here, and you can tell the teachers are frustrated. It is really tying their hands.

Also...um...I'm a mom, not a dad...

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM

48 posts, read 315,915 times
I was not intending to that inclusion is a bad thing - and if a child is clasified as such, there are a lot of reasons why both learning and other disabilities, my point was when evaluating a school or the system, one cannot count on the scores alone -

As for the supplies issue, teachers here sometimes buy their own supplies t00 (little rewards and such like stickers or pencils to give the kids).

Old 07-14-2007, 04:42 PM

298 posts, read 565,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyNJ View Post
Thank You everyone...we are coming down the weekend of 8/10 to look around at the area and homes...we are concentrating on Monroe and Indian Trail..Can anyone give me their opinion on those towns? Also how do you feel about these school systems: Sun Valley, Shiloh, and Porter Ridge?

Thank you for all of your help

We close on our house in Monroe/Indian Trail Monday and are moving there next week. My son w/be attending Sun Valley Middle. Our address is Monroe, but it's very close to the Indian Trail border (Colonial Village subdivision). I'll let you know... but so far from what we know it seems nice. My son isn't into sports, he likes computers, hope he will find others like him. We are not from the North, but Westerners, (Rocky Mountains) so all of this is different. My daughter is dyslexic and will start at Rocky River (sp?) and attend until I can get her into one of the mucho dinero schools for dyslexic children in Charlotte. I am a parent who has NOT had a good experience with inclusion, since it was brought up... I am also finishing my MsEd and spec ed license, so could go on but I won't...

Last edited by katfzl; 07-14-2007 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 05:43 PM

38 posts, read 151,579 times
Default I LOVE the NC accent! To me, its warm and friendly!

I LOVE the NC accent! To me, its warm and friendly!

Better than distant and transient, which happens in areas where people move in and out all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
I can't speak for why this poster would not send her kids to the newest schools (Weddington, Marvin Ridge, Porter Ridge), but since I am in a similar position, maybe I could give a little perspective.

I am a native of this area. My children have attended Parkwood, Weddington, and now Marvin Ridge (and we have never moved, same house).

Parkwood, Piedmont, Sun Valley, and Forest Hills are high schools that have been around and are established since 1960's. They have stable programs with a history - teachers have been around, programs have accumulated supplies, etc. You have some sense of what you are getting at those established schools. Additionally, as a "local," the ratio of locals to newcomers is not so heavily "newcomer."

With the newest schools, there is great potential for a wonderful school, but the population is mostly newcomers. The program is just starting and evolving. It is still an unknown as to how "great" these schools will be. And, as more and more folks move in, we have a need to build more and more schools. So, you can pour your heart and soul into helping building a great school, but when it fills to overflowing, you are likely to be shifted to the next new school and you get to start all over again. (I know this because my family has opened these schools - new Waxhaw Elementary, Weddington Elementary, Weddington Middle, Weddington High, Marvin Elementary, and now it appears at least two more new ones - Marvin Ridge Middle & High - before my last child graduates.

I know that you newcomers are under a lot of stress with all the change and getting acclimated to your new surroundings. But, for some of us locals, we are also under the stress of change and getting acclimated to the huge influx of newcomers - especially in schools like Weddington & Marvin Ridge - where newcomers outnumbers locals by a large margin. So, I can see where a local would choose one of the established schools, over the overwhelming influx of newness! Most days, I hang in there pretty well. Sometimes, it is wearing to have to constantly explain why we are NOT like where you came from, or why WE talk funny. It just takes time for us all to come together as a community. Middle schoolers, in particular, are highly sensitive to "differences." (If you weren't picked on from where you were born, you'd likely be picked on for something else.) I always chuckle when I look back at my 1970's-era year book and notice that nearly every single one of us has long hair, parted down the middle. I tell my kids, we were all expressing our individuality - together! I hope we can teach our children to embrace our differences and learn more about our world in the process. (Still, I can be a mama bear if I feel my kids are being picked on, so I appreciate that we all want our kids to be in a situation where they feel comfortable). Hope that gives a little perspective.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,875 times
I am thinking of moving into St. John's Forest...met some people there and it seems to be the most friendly neighborhood than some I have been in, they have get togethers/block parties...much like up north...but the schools just changed to Sun Valley...My kids are in Porter Ridge now and I am having concerns about moving them out ...not hearing such good things about Sun Valley, but hate my development...I want to be friends with my neighbors not strangers....I work from home, so don't get to meet many people outside of where I live so I need a place to mingle....have a 6th and 8th grader...Help...

Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
ok guys NJ isnt me...lol..it just so happens my screen name was njmomof2 about 2 months ago...

Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMomof2 View Post
I am thinking of moving into St. John's Forest...met some people there and it seems to be the most friendly neighborhood than some I have been in, they have get togethers/block parties...much like up north...but the schools just changed to Sun Valley...My kids are in Porter Ridge now and I am having concerns about moving them out ...not hearing such good things about Sun Valley, but hate my development...I want to be friends with my neighbors not strangers....I work from home, so don't get to meet many people outside of where I live so I need a place to mingle....have a 6th and 8th grader...Help...
Im sorry to hear about that, my block is like yours however we have made friends in other developments that we socialize in, as well as my kids havent started school here yet so I dont know anyone around..im in a development wit 1000 homes and we love living here...our schools are the Marvin Ridge schools...u can do to the union county school district site and will tell u which developments will go to which schools...good luck...Are u happy with porter ridge???

Old 07-16-2007, 09:13 AM

293 posts, read 958,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMomof2 View Post
What did you hear about Sun Valley schools?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,695 times
The Sun Valley area schools have a good reputation. The schools are well established. There are diverse neighborhoods that feed into the schools so you get an excellent mix of students and parent support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte