U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 8,039 times

Advertisements

Planning on moving to Huntersville and we have kids that are high school age. The area we like is Birkdale which goes to Hopewell High School.

Looking for feedback (good or bad) about Hopewell HS since the school district will play a major factor in our final choice of where to live.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,432,604 times
I'm guessing school wasn't the top priority if you chose Huntersville - where else did you look? Where are you working / commute requirements?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Maybe I stated that wrong:

Planning on moving to NC and found a house in Huntersville.

School is a TOP PRIORITY in making our final choice.

While we like Huntersville, we reseached online and heard some not so nice things about Hopewell HS but no amount of raw data compares to first hand experience which is why I am asking for feedback on Hopewell.

Will be working in Davidson.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,432,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach128 View Post

While we like Huntersville, we reseached online and heard some not so nice things about Hopewell HS but no amount of raw data compares to first hand experience which is why I am asking for feedback on Hopewell.

Depends greatly on your budget, but working in Davidson your top 2 HS choices would be Davidson itself and Mooresville - purely from a public school perspective.

I'm a big advocate of choosing an area based on the High School.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach128 View Post

Here's a tip - live in Cabarrus County in neighborhoods assigned to Cox Mill High School. The commute from that area to Davidson on hwy 73 would not be bad at all

Cox Mill High School - Cox Mill High School Home Page

Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM

532 posts, read 1,570,126 times
Birkdale is charming. However, if the High School is going to be the final decision point, keep looking in an area that is outside of CMS boundary.
I'm not saying Hopewell is a bad school ... I'm just saying that CMS probably is not a school system that you will be happy with.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM

409 posts, read 990,479 times
You may want to look at the newest school boundaries. If I am not mistaken, Birkdale now attends the new Hough High School in Cornelius, which is a good school.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:09 PM

509 posts, read 1,644,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
You may want to look at the newest school boundaries. If I am not mistaken, Birkdale now attends the new Hough High School in Cornelius, which is a good school.
This.

Yes, there are schools in Huntersville to stay away from. But there are also excellent schools there - Torrence Creek Elementary, Huntersville Elementary, Bailey Middle, and Hough High, to name a few.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,921,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I agree. [Definitely check and doublecheck a new boundary map against the exact location of the house you are thinking of buying] We live in Birkdale and the younger kids in the neighborhood switched from Hopewell to the new hs (Hough HS in Cornelius). The seniors are finishing their hs careers at Hopewell. Hough does not have a senior class this year. It is a new high school and draws heavily from the wealthy predominantly white neighborhoods of north Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson so it likely meets your definition of a good school.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the great feedback...much appreciated.

Is there a website that shows a community's school district boundries???

Will check out Hough HS site to see if we are in their zone.

Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte