U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 09:47 PM

96 posts, read 173,984 times

Advertisements

Moved to Charlotte and surrounding area 4mths ago for both the weather and to potentially meet someone and hopefully start a family at some pooint.

Upon arriving I wanted to put myself in the best possible positions to meet people, so I took a job about 3days after arriving, registered for a College class, and began taking Pilates & Yoga classes.

The shocking consistant thing I've seen since arriving is the amt of married people having affairs or are unhappily married!

Then there was a lady in my College class that told me to be very careful of what I told potential women here to avoid my financial status, as so many are not neccessarily gold diggers but are hung up on money and material things? Say it Aint So!

I'm a 37y/o man and am within a great age range to meet women,
I guess mostly I'm wanting to find out where these supposed abundance of single women that this region is said to have r hiding.

My Dear Ole Mom is from these parts ie the Country and was so stoked I was coming to a place where she said I was destined to meet me a good ole country girl, as she said these women are so good to their men, and I could get of my "Yankee and Foreign Girl Kick" LOL!

Thanks in Advance for Any Insight!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,669,212 times
Dan, LOL, this post cracked me up the 1st time I read it....welcome aboard!

To answer your question I think 6-8 months ago, there was a thread like this and I think most of the cougars are hanging out at Villa Antonio in Ballantyne (on the weekends....)

You could also try the Epicenter....many good places to meet people also....

(Not that I know because the DW reads this once in awhile.....)

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 PM

337 posts, read 586,752 times
Talking Anohter Posted This & I have to Agree, Where R Single Women In Charlotte Region?

Another OP posted this topic and they and I virtually have the same situation I too just moved here and have found like they did the single scene to be less than obvious, that is unless your a booze hound or have a boat to go out on Lake Norman.

I traveled to Denver a month ago and when I was there a guy at a local Sports Bar asked what the what I felt the diff was in women from East to West. What I toldem was hands down NC has some of the most naturally beautiful (faced) women I've ever seen, while Colorado women have insane bodies due mostly to the natural and healthy life styles.

The gentleman further asked then what would I rather have a women w/ beautiful features but a bit overweight, or a woman that was healthy and had a body to die for? I immediatley stated well one can't argue w/ genetics, and since I'm in the single scene and looking for a potential mate I'd rather be w/ the naturally pretty woman than the one that is better shape.

He couldn't belive it, I told'em you can always loose weight, but you can't argue or do anything w/ mother nature if your not that pretty which a good bit of the women I seen in Co were, cute just not pretty, but you can't cure that case, he said what case "Well The Case of The Uglies".

So in all as the other posted asked where are all the single women in Charlotte? Does one have to take up drinking?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 AM

128 posts, read 241,184 times
I'm not sure where exactly what part of town you are living in, but the Dowd Y near uptown is a popular place for women. This may sound a little weird, but the Dog Bar in NODA is a good place as well. If you have a dog, you're basically in (no pun intended). Then of course there's the bar/club scene in uptown. You have the Epicentre and NC Music Factory which are both a collection of bars and clubs and are very popular places. Sullivan's in SouthEnd on Thursday night is popular. Nikko's in SouthEnd is a popular spot before a night on the town (esp Thurs-Sat). Those are the places I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,149,306 times
Not that 37 is old - I'm closing in on mid-30s myself - but I would think that women who would be interested in a slightly older man (in Charlotte) in the nightlife scene would be as you described. Are you looking for a life mate or just a fling? For a fling you can try the bar scene, but the women will be the ones you are already complaining about, with the addition of newly divorced hipsters. For a real relationship, as much as it pains me to say it, I would try joining a church.

Avoid those cheating spouses like the plague. The cheat-ee is no better than the cheater in my book!

ETA: when my sister got divorced she joined CHOA (google it or look it up on here and you'll find out lots more) and met some ok people. they were mostly younger, in their 20s, but she has developed lots of friendships through the group.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Not that 37 is old - I'm closing in on mid-30s myself - but I would think that women who would be interested in a slightly older man (in Charlotte) in the nightlife scene would be as you described. Are you looking for a life mate or just a fling? For a fling you can try the bar scene, but the women will be the ones you are already complaining about, with the addition of newly divorced hipsters. For a real relationship, as much as it pains me to say it, I would try joining a church.

Avoid those cheating spouses like the plague. The cheat-ee is no better than the cheater in my book!

ETA: when my sister got divorced she joined CHOA (google it or look it up on here and you'll find out lots more) and met some ok people. they were mostly younger, in their 20s, but she has developed lots of friendships through the group.
I can't rep you again, but I was thinking something very similar. The women that the OP's mother mentioned are not going to be in a bar, much less in a bar in Charlotte.

OP, figure out a reason to go to libraries. Get yourself a research project. Hit every library in Charlotte & the surrounding area. Libraries are different now. They are more of a community center type of place, & nice people of all ages are in them. You might not find your future wife there, but you might make some friends & meet someone through them.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM

299 posts, read 510,779 times
I think you should take up running/cycling. Charlotte is a huge runner/cyclist town - there's even something here called the "booty loop". You'll meet tons of people that way and maybe find someone worthwhile.
GL.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM

550 posts, read 1,619,525 times
Do you want to meet someone in a bar?
Have you tried online dating? A lot of people use it - not as odd as it once was. It's just an easier way to meet people.
Join CHOA or an activities group that has what you're looking for in hobbies.
One thing I've learned — you're more likely to find what you're looking for, when you aren't looking so much. Don't scream "desperate" when you're out there looking. The fact you're so intent on finding a wife might scare some people off. Just go out, date and have fun and finding the right person will come a bit more naturally.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,574,765 times
Take a Zumba class at the Y.

Good luck with the 'country girl' part - not many around to choose from.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM

385 posts, read 768,935 times
Cool! I get to be the first to say it this time:

CHURCH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or