Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I put Charlotte in Western NC. Just look at how we get treated. LOL.
LOL, true. . . but the state classifies Charlotte in the Piedmont and Cleveland County is too. However, they classify Rutherford County with the mountain region as western NC.

However, as you travel east to west through Cleveland County you can see the change, so you have a valid point, in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, true. . . but the state classifies Charlotte in the Piedmont and Cleveland County is too. However, they classify Rutherford County with the mountain region as western NC.

However, as you travel east to west through Cleveland County you can see the change, so you have a valid point, in more ways than one.
Without getting too far off topic, I remember one thread that was discussing Charlotte as NC redhead step-child. One of my favorite threads actually. But I am glad to see places like Rutherford, Cleveland, and Unifour getting some good economic news.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM

Here's an update on the Facebook data center.

Facebook facility still under construction helps fuel economy - Data center already putting people to work - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/-53051--.html - broken link)

Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
Default data center around forest city

Yes Facebook is coming to Forest City. I for one will be in the area to build the infrastructer. It is an eleven building complex and will bring a lot of business to the area. This job will last for 3 to 4 yrs.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
I have mixed feelings towards these types of announcements. Facebook, a company not hurting for money, is going to get a facility that is almost free of local taxation, more tax money from the state worth close to a million bucks, and doesn't have to pay sales tax on the stuff used to build the facility.

According to the article posted above, in return Facebook only has to commit to bringing just 42 jobs to the facility over the next 5 years. My guess is most of the highly skilled work will be done remotely. This seems like a huge expense to the taxpayers without much return for it.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I have mixed feelings towards these types of announcements. Facebook, a company not hurting for money, is going to get a facility that is almost free of local taxation, more tax money from the state worth close to a million bucks, and doesn't have to pay sales tax on the stuff used to build the facility.

According to the article posted above, in return Facebook only has to commit to bringing just 42 jobs to the facility over the next 5 years. My guess is most of the highly skilled work will be done remotely. This seems like a huge expense to the taxpayers without much return for it.
It's not that black & white.

Money covers that incentive. There are also grants being made available to businesses to upgrade property, in some instances (not this one). That money doesn't come from the general budget.

This is one source of incentive money. Golden LEAF Foundation North Carolina

I live in Kings Mountain. They are revitalizing the downtown area here. The Lavecchias are putting 2 restaurants into an old former department store here. That building was built in the 1890s & looked every minute of it's age. The other day I drove past it & the difference is amazing!

What you are missing is that 200 -250 construction workers are working on the Facebook project. Reagonomics is backwards. When the construction people get back to work, they can pay bills & spend some money. When they spend money, retail will start hiring, as more people get back to work, money is attracted.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
^I also heard someone say this will produce tax money on the land.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
^I also heard someone say this will produce tax money on the land.
Yes. The data centers are getting a deal on what they already think are cheap property taxes, but the property values are so high that they are still cash cows for the counties.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When the construction people get back to work, they can pay bills & spend some money. When they spend money, retail will start hiring, as more people get back to work, money is attracted.
You are missing one important part.

Private companies (like Facebook) hire those construction workers first when they build and expand. Construction workers do not create their own jobs.

They (Private industry/small business) don't build and expand when there's uncertainty and unnecessary regulations in the market.

Hopefully government will get the message.....

Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You are missing one important part.

Private companies (like Facebook) hire those construction workers first when they build and expand. Construction workers do not create their own jobs.

They (Private industry/small business) don't build and expand when there's uncertainty and unnecessary regulations in the market.

Hopefully government will get the message.....
I understand Jack. However I was responding to a poster who has a problem with the incentives to the businesses coming in out here. I think that they are very justifiable.

Off the top of my head we have the following construction sites: The power plant down by Grover, the downtown renovations, the data center, Duke Power, the paper plant & distribution center in Shelby, & Facebook in Rutherford County. That's a lot of construction workers back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte