U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,050 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to this area for our jobs. Currently, we are living in Winston-Salem so not too far and we are planning to drive down to check out several areas but would like to narrow our search.

I will be working in Statesville and he will be in Uptown Charlotte so we feel like these areas would be ideal as far as a commute between both places. We have small children so we'd like to find a family-friendly community with lots of activities and events for the whole family. Good school district is very important. We would like a nice community with friendly neighbors. We'd love a community pool. We would like to minimize our commute for both of us as much as possible. We haven't really settled on a definite price point but are combined salaries are around 350,000.

Any advice on which town or specific neighborhoods would be great!! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,785,986 times
Go with Mooresville, it'll put you right in the middle of both locations. Mooresville Graded School District is Excellent. Close to the highway for both of your commutes. Plenty of shopping for just about everything you need. With your combined salaries, you pretty much have lots of choices for communities. What would your price range be for a home? Do you want lake front property or not?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,614,907 times
I agree with Mooresville, although I'm biased. We recently moved from up near Winston Salem down to Mooresville and my only regret is that we didn't do it sooner. Love living here, much more then I thought I would when I just worked in Mooresville and commuted in and out.

Davidson would be my 2nd pick as I love that little town as well, just not in love with the taxes. haha Great town though. Not a huge fan of Huntersville personally.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM

810 posts, read 1,124,282 times
Mooresville is the best choice. Way better schools and cheaper taxes, plus it's closer to Statesville which will be a bit of a drive each day.

From what I understand Meck county schools are not so great.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Mooresville is the best choice. Way better schools and cheaper taxes, plus it's closer to Statesville which will be a bit of a drive each day.

From what I understand Meck county schools are not so great.

Another vote for Mooresville, but I have to correct your statement above.

ACTUALLY, Charlotte is home to some of the best schools in the state - so it is inaccurate to say "Meck county schools are not so great". That is a very broad generalization that is very misleading.

The truth is, there are some great schools in Charlotte and some failing schools in Charlotte. It's a huge distract, one of the largest in the country now, so it is better to advise people to do their research and seek out the areas of Charlotte with the best schools.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,690,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Another vote for Mooresville, but I have to correct your statement above.

ACTUALLY, Charlotte is home to some of the best schools in the state - so it is inaccurate to say "Meck county schools are not so great". That is a very broad generalization that is very misleading.

The truth is, there are some great schools in Charlotte and some failing schools in Charlotte. It's a huge distract, one of the largest in the country now, so it is better to advise people to do their research and seek out the areas of Charlotte with the best schools.
But it seems that CMS are more prone to changing school zoning than Iredell Statesville or Mooresville graded schools.So what's missing is the stability maybe.
So you can pick a house (with an associated price tag no doubt) that is in the zone for one of the better schools, and then find it's being changed.
Creates disruption for your family and may cost you $$$ on your house as well.

I think someone posted recently that their kids in Huntersville went to 3 different middle schoos beause of rezoning.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM

810 posts, read 1,124,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
But it seems that CMS are more prone to changing school zoning than Iredell Statesville or Mooresville graded schools.So what's missing is the stability maybe.
So you can pick a house (with an associated price tag no doubt) that is in the zone for one of the better schools, and then find it's being changed.

I think someone posted recently that their kids in Huntersville went to 3 different middle schoos beause of rezoning.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
And that to me all sounds, "not so great". Thanks for helping me make my point.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Rezoning occurred as new schools were built and lines shifted. But this occured in a small percentage of students, not the majority of the system.

MANY neighborhoods in Charlotte have had the same school assignments for years due to being in stable, established areas.

And now that no new schools will be built for the next few years the threat of rezoning in the best schools is nil.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,916,156 times
We have been very happy in Birkdale, in Huntersville, which is probably closer to the halfway point in terms of commute time between Statesville and Charlotte. When you visit stop by Birkdale Village and see if it is something you find attractive. The area is very family friendly, there are tons of kids around of all ages, nice community pool, and convenient to everything. Big caveat: Our kids are in college so we don't use the local schools. I would say do research, including private school options. Some of the charter schools sound great, but I think you have to apply or even enter a lottery to get in, so there is no guarantee. I heard great things about Davidson IB, but they are closing it (!!).

Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,690,532 times
MANY neighborhoods in Charlotte have had the same school assignments for years due to being in stable, established areas.

And now that no new schools will be built for the next few years the threat of rezoning in the best schools is nil.

Which are those neighhborhoods?

Just googling "Charlotte Observer CMS schools" gives a flavor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or