U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,198 times

Advertisements

My husband has landed a job with his company & we are relocating...the job is in Charlotte & we could move to either NC or SC with our 2 boys - (3 years & 2 months)...Trying to figure out what cities to look at when we come to house hunt. Online we like Waxhaw, Pineville, Lake Wylie, Tega Cay, Fort Mill - these are all in a close proximity to his place of work. I hope to be a stay at home mom & also continue to run my business again of wedding/event video when the kids get a bit older. Looking fora home inthe 200,000-300,000 range. We are not big city people but we don't want to be in a tiny town or out in the middle of nowhere either - I do like my walgreens & modern conveniences. We have a 1 year old yellow lab - he needs a decent yard to run & play We are looking for nice family oriented area for the kids to start school & play sports etc..Park, pools, family fun...We are struggling betweeen buying in SC ( Fort Mill Area - his boss lives there & loves it) or NC Charlotte area - any advice on this for our situation - We only get 2 paid trips from his company to come and visit the area & find a place to live & I want to make the most of it....THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM

314 posts, read 582,926 times
I've heard nothing but good things about Fort Mill so I'd definitely check that out.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 4,569 times
Default South Carolina

All do respects...but I thank my lucky stars everyday that we chose to live north of the border as opposed to South Carolina. It is truly another planet. When we relocated here we assumed that the proximity of Charlotte to South Carolina probably erased the cultural, societal and educational differences between the two States. We couldn’t have been more wrong. Everyday I am reminded of the difference....though their drivers, the news reports, and the large plume of smoke that always seems to grace the southern sky.

I am so glad that we did not fall prey to that common Fort Mill/Rock Hill Realtors catch phrase....."Great Schools!" That may be true when you compare their Districts scores with other South Carolina schools. But keeping that in perspective, South Carolina is one of the lowest (if not THE lowest) rated States for education.

I know that this sounds a bit snobbish and I am sorry if it ruffles anyone's feathers. But there IS a truly a difference.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVINTOCHARLOTTE View Post
My husband has landed a job with his company & we are relocating...the job is in Charlotte & we could move to either NC or SC with our 2 boys - (3 years & 2 months)...Trying to figure out what cities to look at when we come to house hunt. Online we like Waxhaw, Pineville, Lake Wylie, Tega Cay, Fort Mill - these are all in a close proximity to his place of work. I hope to be a stay at home mom & also continue to run my business again of wedding/event video when the kids get a bit older. Looking fora home inthe 200,000-300,000 range. We are not big city people but we don't want to be in a tiny town or out in the middle of nowhere either - I do like my walgreens & modern conveniences. We have a 1 year old yellow lab - he needs a decent yard to run & play We are looking for nice family oriented area for the kids to start school & play sports etc..Park, pools, family fun...We are struggling betweeen buying in SC ( Fort Mill Area - his boss lives there & loves it) or NC Charlotte area - any advice on this for our situation - We only get 2 paid trips from his company to come and visit the area & find a place to live & I want to make the most of it....THANKS!!!

Personally, if I were going to live on the SC side the place I would go would be Tega Cay (near Fort Mill). This tiny town is just awesome, especially if you want to live near the lake.

Kids there go to Fort Mill schools (which ARE good and comparable to south Charlotte public schools - unlike a lot of other SC schools) and it is very family oriented. I love the park on the lake, surrounded by water on 3 sides! It is only open to residents of Tega Cay too so it's never crowded.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,270 times
Welcome! We are from Chicago as well (northern suburb) and have lived here almost 2 years. We live in the S. Charlotte area, just 5-10 min north of Fort Mill.

While I have heard positive things about Fort Mill and the schools, etc. I don't think there is a lot on that side of the border when it comes to restaurants, social events, culture, and shopping. ((NOT trying to disrespect S. Carolina as I visited Greenville, SC (west S. Carolina) and found it a very vibrant, rich area. (Just wanted to point out that I have nothing personally against S. Carolina )).

You will hear a lot about how excellent Fort Mill schools are compared with "CMS schools", but take that with a grain of salt: CMS schools get lumped together into one district and that includes the lowest performing with the highest performing. The highest performing CMS schools are in the S. Charlotte area, right where you could move to. The parent involvement, community support and overall student achievements are very high.

Everyone I know who lives right over the border is constantly coming back over to NC for the shopping malls, theaters, restaurants and events.

You will save in taxes and fees if you move to S. Carolina. Some savings for moving to N. Carolina will be more long term. Did you know that the state schools in S. Carolina are actually more expensive than the ones in N. Carolina? Their gov't passes more of the cost on to the students. Long term savings for me of course, but one that also makes me glad I'm on this side of the border.

Make the most of the two visits you have (we were in that situation as well!). You can definitely see enough to make your decision. You may also want to consider renting first if you are on the fence at the end of the visits. That way you can move in either direction without trying to sell a house!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,198 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you for this info - I really appreciate all of this excellent info!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 AM

716 posts, read 1,357,904 times
Quote:
We are not big city people but we don't want to be in a tiny town or out in the middle of nowhere either - I do like my walgreens & modern conveniences.

I think even if you did live in the city of Charlotte itself you would be happy just because it has that small town feeling in it. I have been to cities half the size of Charlotte and some of those places have a much bigger feel to them especially with the congestion of traffic. If you want to live outside the city in SC the development Regent Park might be for you just cause its soo very close to Carolina Place Mall and many other things. Someone else also mentioned Tega Cay and if you really like being close to a Walmart, Aldi's, Autozone, etc... all within 1 mile of each other you would be very happy there. I do think all this is on the Tega Cay/Fort Mill border though.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 AM

337 posts, read 585,146 times
Quote:
Bad move, this state is in double digit unemployment, all those that flocked here years ago for the job market and cost of livin are now leaving by the bunches.

The state is a very poor state and has always been up or near dbl digit unemployment even before the recent downturn.

Chicago to NC, uless your already working/transfering and even if so may want to reconsider.

Also no longer the friendly South, as to many Yankee's have flooded the area virtually turning it into another Northern State where you have to be afraid to wave at passers bye.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
Bad move, this state is in double digit unemployment, all those that flocked here years ago for the job market and cost of livin are now leaving by the bunches.

The state is a very poor state and has always been up or near dbl digit unemployment even before the recent downturn.

Chicago to NC, uless your already working/transfering and even if so may want to reconsider.

Also no longer the friendly South, as to many Yankee's have flooded the area virtually turning it into another Northern State where you have to be afraid to wave at passers bye.
oh good grief

Her husband has already landed a job - he's not trying to find one.

While SC may have some areas that were downtrodden even before the recession it is also home to some of the most visited places in the country - Hilton Head, Charleston etc... In addition, places like Fort Mill and Greenville are particularly healthy, growing and nice to live in.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM

214 posts, read 343,879 times
maybe you should have a look at Fort Mill/Tega Cay for yourself. I don't think it's been given it's due justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or