U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 966 times

Advertisements

The turn over rate at Ballantyne Elementary has a high rate for a reason. The principal. She is not a nice lady. She has zero respect from her teachers. Many who I have spoken to are unhappy and end up leaving. We made the huge mistake of purchasing a home knowing our children would attend there. We didn't listen the feedback we heard from past teachers. We just thought well she must run a tight ship. We based our choice on the scores of the school at the time. And looking further is not currently the top school. THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! If you love your children and want what is best for them. DO NOT LET THEM ATTEND BALLANTYNE ELEMENTARY! I must say they have many amazing teachers but they wont stay for long because the principal is awful! She severely lacks leadership skills. And she does not care about the truth only what will make her look good. She paints her own picture of perfection. She will be fake and lie to your face. She is very hostile and threatening to her staff. Seldom will you see smiles on the staffs faces. Also the principal avoids parents and has zero compassion for any concerns brought up. A school is only as good as the management. And until this changes it will not be a good school.

Last edited by ballantyneparent; 03-09-2016 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 966 times
Thumbs down Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg90 View Post
The principal at this school severely lacks leadership abilities and is not respected the teachers. The teaching environment is horrible and the principal rules by fear and lacks any sort of compassion. You could not pay me enough to send my children to this school.

I totally agree! I posted below as well.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:08 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,720 times
People will complain about anything. We live in an era of outrage and lack of personal responsibility. Parents think their kids are perfect and don't embrace the fact that all people make mistakes and children should learn to acknowledge them and improve. We spend more time criticizing schools/teachers/principals than we do thinking critically of our own role in a child's education. No school is going to transform a child. It takes a village.

There is a bias called "negative response bias" that is to blame for sites like greatschools.com or google reviews that paint an entire school in a negative light. Basically, people who have a bad experience are much more likely to voice their opinion and complain than somebody that has a good one. It's true with restaurant reviews and travel as well, but especially true for schools and many other public services. You never call the garbage collection line to talk about how they haven't missed your can in a while.

Our schools are better than they are perceived to be. Don't let a few whiny parents tarnish your perspective. This doesn't mean that there aren't areas of improvement or that all schools are perfect in Charlotte, but I think you would be much better off including students and parents in any criticism since a school is pretty limited at how much they can influence and control. Our communities fill the schools.

So your poor opinion of a principal means your kid can't succeed at school? How many teachers do they have? Does the principal teach your kid? What happened to you? What lesson are you teaching your kid about dealing with people they don't like? Do you think a school is responsible for teaching a kid or a kid is responsible for learning from a school?

Teacher turnover in CMS was 16.5% in 2015. It's 14% at Ballantyne elementary. It's 13% in the State. Sure, teacher turnover rates are high, but that doesn't have anything to do with the principal.

You don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry you feel locked into a bad situation. My only advice is to avoid the principal but make as many other aspects positive. Just because you think the principal is a jerk doesn't mean you have to have a bad experience at the school.

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 03-09-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 01:38 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,199,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
People will complain about anything. We live in an era of outrage and lack of personal responsibility. Parents think their kids are perfect and don't embrace the fact that all people make mistakes and children should learn to acknowledge them and improve. We spend more time criticizing schools/teachers/principals than we do thinking critically of our own role in a child's education. No school is going to transform a child. It takes a village.

There is a bias called "negative response bias" that is to blame for sites like greatschools.com or google reviews that paint an entire school in a negative light. Basically, people who have a bad experience are much more likely to voice their opinion and complain than somebody that has a good one. It's true with restaurant reviews and travel as well, but especially true for schools and many other public services. You never call the garbage collection line to talk about how they haven't missed your can in a while.

Our schools are better than they are perceived to be. Don't let a few whiny parents tarnish your perspective. This doesn't mean that there aren't areas of improvement or that all schools are perfect in Charlotte, but I think you would be much better off including students and parents in any criticism since a school is pretty limited at how much they can influence and control. Our communities fill the schools.

So your poor opinion of a principal means your kid can't succeed at school? How many teachers do they have? Does the principal teach your kid? What happened to you? What lesson are you teaching your kid about dealing with people they don't like? Do you think a school is responsible for teaching a kid or a kid is responsible for learning from a school?

Teacher turnover in CMS was 16.5% in 2015. It's 14% at Ballantyne elementary. It's 13% in the State. Sure, teacher turnover rates are high, but that doesn't have anything to do with the principal.

You don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry you feel locked into a bad situation. My only advice is to avoid the principal but make as many other aspects positive. Just because you think the principal is a jerk doesn't mean you have to have a bad experience at the school.
Depending on what the issue the parent is having to lead them to need the principal, it can make them have a bad experience.

Do you have kids in school? Have you ever had a problem with a teacher or principal? If you have what did you do when your issue wasn't handled correctly or at all? A bad principal can ruin a school.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Depending on what the issue the parent is having to lead them to need the principal, it can make them have a bad experience.

Do you have kids in school? Have you ever had a problem with a teacher or principal? If you have what did you do when your issue wasn't handled correctly or at all? A bad principal can ruin a school.

I'm not sure what the issue the parent is having. They have made claims that the principal is rude and disrespects teachers. They've said that teachers are leaving due to it.

But when you look at the actual turnover rate, they aren't leaving at any higher rate than any other school in CMS.

The only thing I can tell for sure is that the parent is upset and doesn't think very highly of the principal. I agree that a principal can really be an obstacle to improvement for any school but I'm not sure the OP has shared any facts that support their claim.

Anyone can whine.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what the issue the parent is having. They have made claims that the principal is rude and disrespects teachers. They've said that teachers are leaving due to it.

But when you look at the actual turnover rate, they aren't leaving at any higher rate than any other school in CMS.

The only thing I can tell for sure is that the parent is upset and doesn't think very highly of the principal. I agree that a principal can really be an obstacle to improvement for any school but I'm not sure the OP has shared any facts that support their claim.

Anyone can whine.
I agree that anyone can whine...but this is her list of what's wrong with the principal.

She has zero respect from her teachers. Many who I have spoken to are unhappy and end up leaving. We made the huge mistake of purchasing a home knowing our children would attend there. We didn't listen the feedback we heard from past teachers. We just thought well she must run a tight ship. We based our choice on the scores of the school at the time. And looking further is not currently the top school. I must say they have many amazing teachers but they wont stay for long because the principal is awful! She severely lacks leadership skills. And she does not care about the truth only what will make her look good. She paints her own picture of perfection. She will be fake and lie to your face. She is very hostile and threatening to her staff. Seldom will you see smiles on the staffs faces. Also the principal avoids parents and has zero compassion for any concerns brought up.

I also know that if you never have to deal with the principal or a teacher leaving another parent in the same school could say that it was a great school. It's half what you make of it and the other half is if you had any issues along the way that either makes you like or dislike a school.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:14 PM

I think the OP doesn't like the principal based on a run in they had with them or based on rumors they heard.

The claim that principal is so bad that teachers are leaving at a high rate is not true.

I would like to hear more about why the OP says the principal doesn't care about the "truth". What truth? Or being fake and lying. What lies? There is a back story to this.

Hostile and threatening to staff? When/what happened?

Avoids parents and zero compassion? Tell me a story.

I'm need more info!

Ballantyne elementary is a great school. That doesn't mean the principal is great, but I need more info before I'm willing to throw somebody's reputation down the drain based on a bunch of unsupported claims.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I think the OP doesn't like the principal based on a run in they had with them or based on rumors they heard.

The claim that principal is so bad that teachers are leaving at a high rate is not true.

I would like to hear more about why the OP says the principal doesn't care about the "truth". What truth? Or being fake and lying. What lies? There is a back story to this.

Hostile and threatening to staff? When/what happened?

Avoids parents and zero compassion? Tell me a story.

I'm need more info!

Ballantyne elementary is a great school. That doesn't mean the principal is great, but I need more info before I'm willing to throw somebody's reputation down the drain based on a bunch of unsupported claims.
That could be true. My kids are not in CMS but in CCS. I put my son in the lottery for a charter school for Kindergarten. Within the first 4 months, I think 5/6 (I think 4 were teachers) staff members had left. By the end of the school year, that number climbed to 8/9. The principal was fired (or as the feel good story went she resigned to take care of a sick family member) for hiring someone not qualified in their position and those kids had to all go to summer school. To me that is a high number, but maybe percentage wise compared to the rest of CCS it isn't.

Did you compare Ballantyne ES and another nearby ES that's comparable to see what the turnover rates were in each of them the last couple of years?

Last edited by Riley09swb; 03-09-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 06:38 AM

416 posts, read 808,956 times
I had the first posted response in this thread before my kid attended. My kid is now a Kindergartener at BE (this thread is getting some age on it ).

My kid's experience at BE has been amazing. Wonderful Kindergarten teachers and the principal has been great. We couldn't be happier to have our son there. The principal has a really good past track record (prior to BE and at BE) and my understanding is the staff/teachers love her because she stands up for them. This may turn some parents off that the principal stands up for her staff, but as a teacher, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Gumbo; 03-10-2016 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or