U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
 
335 posts, read 301,683 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The main issue with the 77 side of the lake (not the Denver side) beyond commuting is that the entire area is almost always congested... The in town traffic is horrendous.
Are the schools any good on the west side of the lake? What is the speed limit on 16 coming down from the west side of the lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,039 posts, read 4,666,986 times
Reputation: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
That is a very good commute! If people are complaining about that, they either don't realize how good they have it, or they are trying to scare-off newcomers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Are the schools any good on the west side of the lake? What is the speed limit on 16 coming down from the west side of the lake?
I lived in Mooresville for a year... I can assure you that timings get "rounded" and wrecks (not uncommon) will easily double or triple any commute estimate here... Nobody is "trying to scare-off newcomers" as much as someone exaggerating the commute on the low end "trying to encourage newcomers".

Rte 77 is a huge bottleneck as it serves commuters all the way up to Mooresville / Iredell county... Just because you're "used to an insane commute" like NOVA, NY/NJ/CT Tri-state, et al does not mean we "don't realize how good we have it". The entire Lake Norman area is heavily congested and I challenge anyone to dispute that trying to cross 77 on even the weekends.

I would actually recommend the Denver schools over Huntersville or any CMS school besides Davidson or South of Charlotte (Ardrey Kell, Providence). You'll need to decide on how important the lake is in the big picture to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM
 
628 posts, read 781,027 times
Reputation: 536
The thing about the traffic in Charlotte is that it is short lived. {for the most part} It is bad from about 4:50-6:15. And yes, bad is relative. It is amazing the difference just 10-15 minutes can make.

It also depends on how far from 77 you live like someone said. My parents live at exit 28 and the traffic there can be insane even on a Saturday.

Davidson Elementary is a great school, btw. But I am not sure about the middle and high school up there. But like we always say in Charlotte, that could change several times before your child gets to high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 AM
 
292 posts, read 368,488 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I lived in Mooresville for a year... I can assure you that timings get "rounded" and wrecks (not uncommon) will easily double or triple any commute estimate here... Nobody is "trying to scare-off newcomers" as much as someone exaggerating the commute on the low end "trying to encourage newcomers".

Rte 77 is a huge bottleneck as it serves commuters all the way up to Mooresville / Iredell county... Just because you're "used to an insane commute" like NOVA, NY/NJ/CT Tri-state, et al does not mean we "don't realize how good we have it". The entire Lake Norman area is heavily congested and I challenge anyone to dispute that trying to cross 77 on even the weekends.

I would actually recommend the Denver schools over Huntersville or any CMS school besides Davidson or South of Charlotte (Ardrey Kell, Providence). You'll need to decide on how important the lake is in the big picture to you.

I definitely would not live in Mooresville and commute. If I lived an extra exit or two north than I do right now, it would be a terrible commute. Accidents do not effect my commute because I have back routes I can take that add at most 5 minutes and I can get off at any exit and find a back way.

I don't have experience with the school system as I do not have kids yet. I hear there are some good elementary schools and that the new high school is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
624 posts, read 1,259,042 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Are the schools any good on the west side of the lake? What is the speed limit on 16 coming down from the west side of the lake?
Speed Limit on 16 until you get down to just North of where 85 comes across is 55 mph. I can typically travel 60-65 mph until Mt Holly-Huntersville Rd. Then closer to 55 mph.

Total drive time from 73 and 16 to Uptown (20 miles) is probably about 30 minutes.

I've heard Lincoln County schools are good, but have no actual knowledge (no kids) to be able to provide an actual data point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
1 posts, read 3,050 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josselyn View Post
Hello,
We are looking to move to the Lake Norman area. Can you recommend any towns with great school systems, low crime, good commute to downtown Charlotte and on or with lake views.

Any other suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks!
I love the Lake Norman area. I am a Real Estate Broker and a North Carolina Native (so I am bias). The Denver side of Lake Norman is quaint with a home town feel. The school system is Lincoln County. Here is a link for Lincoln County schools. Lincoln County Schools - Homepage Also, with the expansion of Highway 16, the commute is easy to downtown Charlotte and the airport.

On the southern side of Lake Norman is Huntersville and Cornelius. These areas are great too with shopping and nice restaurants. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools service these areas - again a school link - Home.

The Northern sides of the Lake are Mooresville, Sherrills Ford, Troutman, and Catawba. Iredell County Schools and Catawba County Schools for these areas. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Durham UK
1,996 posts, read 2,255,486 times
Reputation: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
I definitely would not live in Mooresville and commute. If I lived an extra exit or two north than I do right now, it would be a terrible commute. Accidents do not effect my commute because I have back routes I can take that add at most 5 minutes and I can get off at any exit and find a back way.

I don't have experience with the school system as I do not have kids yet. I hear there are some good elementary schools and that the new high school is good.
The worst traffic on the I77 NORTH is from J18/19 to around J25-28 ie it's Huntersville traffic that creates the problems, so once you come off at J23 you've gone through the worst!

Mooresville is J33, (soon to be new J35) and J36,

Lake Norman and Mooresville is by no means congested all the time.
I think someone has a bad taste left in their mouth re Mooresville and the Lake.

I would not chose Huntersville/cornelius over Mooresville if schools were important, plus Mooresville has a far larger/nicer downtown area.
Davidson is way overpriced and feels very much like a college town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 PM
 
417 posts, read 608,270 times
Reputation: 251
Default Commute is the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I think Davidson is the best town up there. But the commute stinks.
I agree.

Taben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2010, 07:56 PM
 
292 posts, read 368,488 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
The worst traffic on the I77 NORTH is from J18/19 to around J25-28 ie it's Huntersville traffic that creates the problems, so once you come off at J23 you've gone through the worst!

Mooresville is J33, (soon to be new J35) and J36,

Lake Norman and Mooresville is by no means congested all the time.
I think someone has a bad taste left in their mouth re Mooresville and the Lake.

I would not chose Huntersville/cornelius over Mooresville if schools were important, plus Mooresville has a far larger/nicer downtown area.
Davidson is way overpriced and feels very much like a college town
Getting to exit 33 on 77N can get extremely difficult sometimes, but since I live in Huntersville, I can just pop off the interstate earlier than 33 and take back roads. It only adds 5 more minutes. I can't imagine if I had to stay on 77. That is why I wouldn't live in Mooresville. If my commute is over 30 minutes, I tend to feel like I am wasting my life in the car. Even if traffic is clear, going the ten extra miles would be about 10 extra minutes which would mean an extra 20 minutes total a day in commute.

I do not do a daily commute all the way up to Mooresville, so I cannot comment on that really other than to say that I am often glad I can just pop off the interstate early because I don't live up there. The few times that I have gone up there I have gotten stuck in congestion. Perhaps I just pick bad times to go?

What I like about Huntersville is I feel I am close to everything I want to go to. I can get to Charlotte in a jiffy or go north into Mooresvile/Cornelius if I want. I do not have any children though, so I cannot speak for the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
:)>
 
27 posts, read 39,268 times
Reputation: 27
Glad to see this thread is still alive. This past summer I checked out the Gulf side of southern FL. I liked it but the wife and daughter vetoed it. This moves Lake Norman to the top of the list. However, I've never been there. My only experience with Charlotte was changing planes, unfortunately. We're planning a visit soon.

I would like it if someone very familiar with the area would help me with some perceptions/ideas/etc. I'll describe my situation. I've already read some comments about commuting, schools, crowds and traffic in general. Waterfront property is a must.

I've been fortunate to have a career that allows me to retire around age 50. However, to maintain sanity and a similar lifestyle, I'm probably still going to do some sort of work. It might be in Charlotte but would probably be around the lake (I'd be great at selling boats and would look into that first).

When talking about crowds, I grew up in NYC so it needs to get near that level to freak me out. I have no problem with a bustling rural area but I don't want to sit in perpetual traffic either. Farmland with a car passing every 1/2 hour is way too far from civilization for me. Horns honking and gridlock in my front yard daily is way too busy for me. Anything in-between is workable. That's why I wasn't afraid of Cornelius. But reading some of the posts in this thread have me a little concerned. Should I be looking more on the west side? I have it narrowed down to 3 areas right now: Cornelius, Denver and Mooresville. So I'd love to hear more about comparisons of these three without consideration for what has been already discussed (commute to CLT and schools are not a concern, taxes and home prices could be). I am a little concerned about landing in the middle of a pocket of strong church goers too. We're not atheists but we're not big church goers either and I don't want people trying to look down on us because we don't partake in their religion (had this problem before).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top