U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,318 times

Advertisements

I am new to Charlotte NC. I am from a humid area in Florida. Within one year I am seeing small fine lines on my face since last year's winter. I wake up and my skin feels like sandpaper.

Anybody come from a fairly humid and moist climate experience this and are there any skin solutions that you have tried to counter this?

If you have any dermatologists that you recommend please let me know that as well.

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaCologne View Post
I am new to Charlotte NC. I am from a humid area in Florida. Within one year I am seeing small fine lines on my face since last year's winter. I wake up and my skin feels like sandpaper.

Anybody come from a fairly humid and moist climate experience this and are there any skin solutions that you have tried to counter this?

If you have any dermatologists that you recommend please let me know that as well.

Thank you for your help
This is fairly common and did happen to me too when I came to Charlotte from Louisiana years ago. The dermatologist had me switch to Dove soap for my face. Your body will adjust during your first year here, but invest in better lotions like Eucerin or Nivea to ward off the extreme drying. Bathing with Aveno will also help

Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM

299 posts, read 509,725 times
Whenever I live in the north I always deal w/ alligator skin. When I've lived further south I feel like an oil slick
Here I get both - oil slick summers and alligator skin winters.
I usually sneak a bit of hydrocortisone into my regular body lotion (Lubriderm or Aveeno both work well - or even better is cocoa butter) when things get really dry and that does wonders.

As for my face I used to use all sorts of uber expensive lotions (Peter Thomas Roth worked best for dry skin) but then someone suggested CeraVe (CHEAP!) and I've really loved it. Granted, I haven't used it during winter yet, but I'm optimistic about it.

As for hair (mine gets really dry here so I'm betting yours does too) I just wash it less (2x/wk), only shampoo the roots, and make sure to use a great conditioner.

HTH.

(I don't know any good derms, sorry)

Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Forgot to add:
Make sure to drink lots of liquids (but go easy on the tea/coffee which are diuretics) and invest in a good humidifier!
GL

Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,128,507 times
I have the same problem as Lily w/oiliness during the summer and dry skin and hair in the winter. I drink a lot of water, and it really seems to help. I eat pretty healthfully all year, but it's particularly important in the winter b/c it can help your skin. Plenty of Vitamin C, Omega 3's, Vitamin A, and tea. These all either have loads of antioxidants or are anti-inflammatory.

For my face I use an oil-free moisturizer in the summer and switch during cold, dry weather to Alba Botanica Jasmine and Vitamin E moisture cream. It's amazing - I can't even tell you how moisturized and great my skin feels w/it. I'm less picky about my body and just use Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking lotion. It actually feels creamy and moisturizing when you use it, unlike a lot of lotions that just feel watery.

We haven't invested in a humidifier yet b/c I'm icked out by the possibility of mold, but my nose would definitely appreciate it. I get nosebleeds in the winter too.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,318 times
Thank you ladies: Lovemountains, Lilyonthelake & Coastalgirl. Big hug!

I am copying the recommendations down now, I was so desperate to find something. I appreciate you all recommending the moisturizers and bathing solutions too. I forgot to add: my feet could slice bread so I am glad you ladies added that.

I am also going to invest in a humidifier too.

I said wow is this just me?

Thanks for your time too! If I find a dermatologist I will come back and update this thread.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Coastalgirl, I get nosebleeds too! It's the worst!!!

Sheila, one other thing, regarding feet, if you get regular pedicures go to a place that does paraffin wraps. I love the nail place in Selwyn, uh, Corners? Terrace? I don't remember, but the shopping plaza where Firefly Chinese restaurant is. It's on the second floor and they do paraffin w/ their pedis. It does wonders for dry cracked feet!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:22 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
I have a special humidifier that inhibits mold growth and germs. I paid only $35.00 for it on woot.com.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 PM

513 posts, read 1,912,767 times
My dermatologist suggested both CeraVe (find it at any drugstore) and I use a moisturizer from EltaMD called Intense Moisturizer on my face. Both work great. The EltaMD looks and feels like Vaseline, but it won't break you out - but use just a little for you entire face. I buy it at my dermatologist's office, but you can google it and find it online. And wash your face with Cetaphil - the only thing that doesn't dry out my skin in winter!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:41 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,334,090 times
I've also had great luck with Cetaphil -- it's wonderful. Be careful with it around the face, though. It really stings if you get it in your eyes. I play a lot of tennis and golf and if I use it on my forehead and then sweat, even several hours later, it runs into my eyes and stings like crazy.

But it is fantastic for hands and the rest of the body!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or