U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,122,996 times

Advertisements

I see this is old and I am not gonna read all the posts, but I will say one thing about this. A bank or credit card or whom ever else you have an account with will never, ever, send you anything asking you for your SSN or any other personal information. They already have it. Why would they need it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I see this is old and I am not gonna read all the posts, but I will say one thing about this. A bank or credit card or whom ever else you have an account with will never, ever, send you anything asking you for your SSN or any other personal information. They already have it. Why would they need it again?
Bank of America has in fact sent these requests out. The letters described here are real. It is ridiculous, yes, but the letter I got was legitimate according to my local BOA branch.

I would not recommend ever sending out your SSN in the mail as the letter requests. Go to your local branch with your SS card and they will do what they need to do.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM

810 posts, read 1,122,996 times
Why would they request your SSN? They already have it as I said. There is no way they would close your account for not sending them that info, as least I would think not. I just can't imagine why they would request that.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,080 times
Quote:
Why would they request your SSN? They already have it as I said. There is no way they would close your account for not sending them that info, as least I would think not. I just can't imagine why they would request that.
Your guess is as good as mine. I had changed address, perhaps they got something confused during that change.

Perhaps they wanted to make sure that a second person with the same name doesn't put an address change onto the first person's account, moving the first guy's account to the second guy's address.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 19,553 times
Quote:
Never say never. I'm telling you they said they did send it out and they did ask for it... "to be verified" they said.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 19,553 times
Hi again from Jay-T adding to the message with further history on this BofA thing:

About 2 weeks after the first mailing and subsequent visit to my local Brance office of BofA, I received ANOTHER same threat letter from BofA (remember, I've been a member for over 30 years)... stating that I had 10 days to respond (already did) or they would shut down my accounts and lock them unless I filed the signature and W-9 with them. I went immediately back to the branch officer. He was surprised to find another notice and pulled out of his file the FAX notice that he had responded to the main office with my signature and updated info two weeks prior. He said "Maybe they passed each other in the mail." However, the 2nd letter was created and posted days after the FAX was sent. I had him sign the FAX notiification and date it and give me a copy stating that I had already responded to this "threat". He still had no real explanation but said that "Every bank in the U.S. now is required to look into literally every account to verify holders info, social security numbers, etc according to a new Law passed by Congress. I've never heard of anyone complaining about similar things from their banks...only BofA. At first, I guess (from reading here) that the ENVELOPE was not in color like the normal BofA envelopes. Mine were in full color. The man noted that, so he knew of something going on with them. Also... as others here have said, the two threat notices were not sent to our regular address (as all the other present banking information has been for some time now) but to our old PO box which I asked the officer about. He had no response but "I don't know why that would be." We at first were required to get a PO box because our house mailbox wasn't set up yet. We still have it. So far, it's now past the threat date by over a week and I still have a checking and savings account. But I plan to move my money out of there soon. No other mailings have yet been received regarding the issue. My final warning to anyone reading these notes is that I would NOT sign and send these papers in the provided envelopes to the Arizona address... but take it directly to your local bank and settle it that way. I still don't trust that it's NOT a scam of some sort... but the officer at the bank assured me that it was an official bank notice on my account. He did not apologize for any inconvenience... he just said he acted as instructed. Period. Good luck out there! -- Jay-T

Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,367 times
I had the same experience as all of you. The wife and I received the fake looking letter that you've described but thought it was fraud, so I went to the branch to take care of it. About three weeks later, I got a SECOND letter, so I called telephone banking and informed them that I had tried to take care of this at the branch. They had me complete the form through a phone based verification system, which I did. Against my better instincts, I also sent in the complete W-9, even though it really worried me to send my identifying information through the mail.

Fast forward two months to yesterday....my wife tried to use her bankcard twice, and it was declined. We then logged on to Online Banking, and our accounts were GONE. When we called Telephone Banking, they informed us that our accounts had been frozen due to non-compliance with the letter! Now it's the weekend, and we're stuck without access to our accounts because the Compliance Processing Department is only open on weekdays.

We're furious, and we're taking our money elsewhere. We're done with you BofA!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,829 times
Indeed this letter is a fraud because I've just called a BofA representative and they told me first of all in those letters they would have started with "Dear (your name)" and not customer. Also an w9 form wouldnt be included with their letters because they don't send those out, only the irs; the frauders were trying to steal all of your info in one go. But since reading all of the posts I'm still a little unsure, however I'm definitely not sending in my SS# anytime soon. :P

Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 PM

469 posts, read 875,889 times
Exclamation New forum members posting in this thread

Has anyone else noticed - There are many replies from new forum members, some of whom have only one or two posts . . .

For a moment, the tin-hatter in me wonders if the scammers are trying to obfuscate the truth with bogus posts!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,921,607 times
This is all nonsense. BofA does not send these letters out. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte