U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2010, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 54,977 times

Advertisements

anyone know of any? I made some mistakes in my past when I was very young and now I have horrible credit. I rented an apt for my cousin in my name and she got evicted causing me to have horrible credit and now I can not find an apt in charlotte for myself because if you have an eviction on your credit you get denied.

Please Help
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,225,140 times
Good luck on that one. You would probably be better off looking for one of those hotels where you can "rent" weekly.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 54,977 times
that is too expensive

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM

590 posts, read 848,633 times
You might want to find a roommate that can get a lease for you.

Any place that doesn't check your credit is probably a scam or really shady.

You might want to also try "fixing" your credit too. You'd be surprised what writing a few letters can do to your credit score.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,914,768 times
An eviction is going to make things a bit more difficult, but not impossible depending on how old the eviction is. If its recent, your options are limited. And most property companies are running credit checks these days. Your best bet is to go in and be honest about the eviction, try to explain the circumstances and see if the company will work with you. Just be prepared for the company to be skeptical. So many people lie that property managers will still question the truth.

The main thing here, which I think you've learned, is be extremly careful who you sign your name for in the future.

What price range are you looking to rent? Someone here may be able to point you in a good direction.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 AM

4,839 posts, read 4,053,427 times
I'd think your best bet would be to try to find a rental from a private owner instead of an apartment complex...

How long ago was the eviction?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,914,768 times
Hooligan, that's not really going to make things easier. Lots of private owners are running background checks these days. Too many people have been burned and are being more cautious these days, especially if they have a mortgage on the property.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,399,221 times
Socialserve has an option to search for landlords or owners that didn't indicate they do credit checks, on their advanced search form. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't do them, they just didn't check the box saying "yes" when asked if they do.

I agree you'd be better off by going with a private landlord, they have some wiggle room, whereas a company will usually have a strict policy not set by the local rep. It's worth talking to as many people as you can! Don't pay the application fee until you've spoken with them and know if renting there is evan an option. If you can save up extra money for the deposit, that can go a long way. Also any letters of reference from an employer or pastor or teacher, someone like that, would be helpful.

Do people still co-sign for things? Maybe someone you know would be willing to be a cosigner for you if so.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 PM

4,839 posts, read 4,053,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Hooligan, that's not really going to make things easier. Lots of private owners are running background checks these days. Too many people have been burned and are being more cautious these days, especially if they have a mortgage on the property.

Agreed, but I don't know of any apartment management companies (wifey is a regional manager for one) that will work with evictions. The OP will likely have *better*, but not "good", luck with private owners, I'd wager.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,451 times
Yes it is difficult but not impossible. People post things like this in hopes of getting a positive response or information and get nothing but discouragement and negativity, probably from people who have never experienced an eviction. The only stipulation was I had to show I was at least making payments on the place I owed. I was very, very lucky. It CAN be done. Every situation is different, and you may have to consult with an attorney or free legal aid service in your area to get the best advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte