Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread a while ago about the emerging Energy Hub here in Charlotte, as it struggles to get out of this economic turmoil. This time we shall look at Charlotte's second (or more) attempt to establish a scientific research center. Here are some links and stories that are chronicleing this. So folks, what do you think>
North Carolina Research Campus » Home
NC Research Campus at Kannapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 11:37 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I posted a thread a while ago about the emerging Energy Hub here in Charlotte, as it struggles to get out of this economic turmoil. This time we shall look at Charlotte's second (or more) attempt to establish a scientific research center. Here are some links and stories that are chronicleing this. So folks, what do you think>
North Carolina Research Campus » Home
NC Research Campus at Kannapolis
Well, I looked at the websites & the thing that struck me is that the predominent architecture is (my term) MidAtlantic neo colonial. A lot of the MidAtlantic colleges have research facilities connected to them. Do you suppose that this architecture is supposed to say, Hey! don't forget us, while you're looking at research facilities.?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 AM

299 posts, read 589,758 times
I would love for Charlotte to open a business school and an art school. Plaza Midwood would be a great location for an art school, something like the Savannah College of Art and Design. And then a business school would be a great fit for Charlotte. Just think of all the faculty they could bring in from the banking (and related) industry.
Who do I need to call to get this done?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 28,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
I would love for Charlotte to open a business school and an art school. Plaza Midwood would be a great location for an art school, something like the Savannah College of Art and Design. And then a business school would be a great fit for Charlotte. Just think of all the faculty they could bring in from the banking (and related) industry.
For the business school, you may want to try calling the Belk College of Business (http://www.belkcollege.uncc.edu/default.asp?id=2 - broken link):
Belk College of Business
UNC Charlotte
Friday Building
9201 University City Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
704-687-7577

Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, I looked at the websites & the thing that struck me is that the predominent architecture is (my term) MidAtlantic neo colonial. A lot of the MidAtlantic colleges have research facilities connected to them. Do you suppose that this architecture is supposed to say, Hey! don't forget us, while you're looking at research facilities.?
I see what you're saying. The architecture is very similar to the CRI campus at UNCC. I was really looking for some of the stories in the Charlotte business journal. This researc campus looks like it will have more pull and potential to succeed than the Energy Hub (which seems like mostly an idea), and the URP. Which is now named Innovation Park.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying. The architecture is very similar to the CRI campus at UNCC. I was really looking for some of the stories in the Charlotte business journal. This researc campus looks like it will have more pull and potential to succeed than the Energy Hub (which seems like mostly an idea), and the URP. Which is now named Innovation Park.
LOL, note the similarity to the architecture at University of VA & a load of places in Philly. You can find this architecture liberally scattered from Philadelphia south (Go a few miles north to Princeton & the architecture is different from there north.) The welcome centers in VA use the same architecture.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM

128 posts, read 272,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
UNC-Charlotte is building an uptown facility to house their MBA program. It will be completed in time for the 2011 school year: UNC Charlotte reveals uptown building design | Charlotte Business Journal

Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Quote:
Unfortunately most of the research campus is funded by the state of NC through their university system and the state is facing a 15-20% budget cut next year. The fear is that growth at the research campus could easily get stalled out.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Unfortunately most of the research campus is funded by the state of NC through their university system and the state is facing a 15-20% budget cut next year. The fear is that growth at the research campus could easily get stalled out.
This is definitely true. In order for this effort to truly become successful more private corporations need to be involved. If the Feds step in and get involved with designating this area one of 5 nutritional centers in the nation it might have some hope in developing this niche market.I'll have to find that article discussing that. But, more private help is needed. In the end I think this will be a success.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:55 PM

Here is an article with some updates on the progress of the NCRC.

Solving Optimal Health For Google[x] In North Carolina | TechCrunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: