U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 PM

24 posts, read 41,147 times

Advertisements

I work in the HR field and there are a couple of approachs to your relocation.

1. Be upfront from the get-go and when submitting an offer for employment do a cover letter. In the cover letter state that you currently reside in PA but are willing to move to Charlotte metro for a non-paid relocation (if that's what you want....or advise you would like to discuss or relo expense reimbursement is open)

2. If you want it to appear that you are already in NC, then I would suggest that you contact a UPS store, get a mailbox there. Most there will not give a PO BOx but give you a physical address to use....so it looks much more real. You can also sign up for a Charlotte Area code number (980, 704 and etc.) through Google Voice. If you put these on your correspondence to Charlotte employers it will appear you are already here. You can leave the City, state of each employer off of your resume.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your transition to Charlotte. It is a wonderful city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 9,236,163 times
I'm 20+ years in IT and was just part of a large group laid-off about a week ago, so I have a feeling that finding another IT position here is going to be quite challenging. But, i gotta know, where on earth is this repetitive concept of out-of-state resumes being disregarded coming from? That's got to be one of the most ludicrous concepts I've heard here in a long time. Any company wants to hire the best candidate for a job, and rarely have I see the issue of where the candidate currently lives being an issue.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM

10,395 posts, read 19,379,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smKKe View Post
I do appreciate the help. I see that Charlotte is drying up for IT jobs, is there anywhere within NC (either in a city or outside "whole area") that has the highest possibility to find a job?

PS I do not have programming experience. I do have (Hardware, Networking, etc...)
You'll do MUCH better to expand your search to nationwide, and then if you get a bite, evaluate whether it's somewhere you want to move, than to say "I'm moving to _____. Boy, I hope I can find a job there!" Because what if you can't? Now oyu've spent all this money on moving and are in an unfamiliar place where you don't know anybody, and still unemployed. NC has hundreds of people who moved here "with a wing and a prayer" and thinking that surely THEY would find a job soon, and three years later, they're desperately trying to get out of here to somewhere with a better job market.

Don't move without a job. To anywhere, but especially not to NC. Don't say you haven't been warned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or