U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 11,172 times

Advertisements

I currently live in PA and applying for IT jobs in Charlotte, NC. Would most employers or consulting companies in NC just throw away my resume, even though I am mentioning that I am moving to the Charlotte area?

Also I have read that getting a P.O. Box might help, but do not know if employers are starting to catch on to this trick. I know that moving without a job is a big risk, but if it helps to get a job, it might be worth it.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM

21,808 posts, read 27,061,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smKKe View Post
I currently live in PA and applying for IT jobs in Charlotte, NC. Would most employers or consulting companies in NC just throw away my resume, even though I am mentioning that I am moving to the Charlotte area?

Also I have read that getting a P.O. Box might help, but do not know if employers are starting to catch on to this trick. I know that moving without a job is a big risk, but if it helps to get a job, it might be worth it.

Any thoughts?
Do you want to be in Charlotte or is it OK to be outside the city? If outside is OK, use the "search this forum" function & search on these terms. Apple, Wipro, Facebook.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:39 AM

I would like to try to stay in the Charlotte area if possible. I have tried Dice and reading the forums that say NC IT jobs are drying up. However, during my searches I have found the most amount of IT jobs in Charlotte.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,563,944 times
the IT jobs here are slim......if you have a job, I would not give it up.

And PO Box or not many of the ads you see for these jobs are fishing expeditions.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I would like to try to stay in the Charlotte area if possible. I have tried Dice and reading the forums that say NC IT jobs are drying up. However, during my searches I have found the most amount of IT jobs in Charlotte.
When you say Charlotte area, that includes places outside of the city of Charlotte, but still in the area, that's why I asked if you wanted only what is available in the city or the whole area. I was just trying to help.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 AM

I do appreciate the help. I see that Charlotte is drying up for IT jobs, is there anywhere within NC (either in a city or outside "whole area") that has the highest possibility to find a job?

PS I do not have programming experience. I do have (Hardware, Networking, etc...)

Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I do appreciate the help. I see that Charlotte is drying up for IT jobs, is there anywhere within NC (either in a city or outside "whole area") that has the highest possibility to find a job?

PS I do not have programming experience. I do have (Hardware, Networking, etc...)
As I said, use the "search this forum" function & search on each of the terms that I listed. Those will get you information on upcoming jobs in the area. There will probably be more, but those three will get you information on what is definitely coming. These are not concerning current openings. They are upcoming openings.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM

308 posts, read 528,718 times
I have been told that nursing jobs are tough in Charlotte. A friend that just moved here from San Francisco via London just landed two part time jobs that allow him to work as many hours as he wishes. He has been there for a month and has already been asked to go full time for two different positions. There is hope

Old 11-21-2010, 05:05 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,215,936 times
My good friend just moved back to the area and starting applying for IT jobs. He had 3 offers within two weeks of interviews. Accepted one last Monday and started on Thursday.

FWIW he used a recruter

Old 11-21-2010, 06:56 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,530,808 times
What branch of IT are you looking for a job in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or