Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:08 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,522,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I agree. So nice to hear that other do see what I see and aren't as naive as some. You are exactly right: everyone seems to think that it will never happen to them. I've learned living in Charlotte, however, there is a greater chance of being a victim of violent crime then most other places. I even read an article about a month ago comparing parts of Charlotte to Detroit.
People can say what they want, this is the first area that I have ever lived around where home invasions are the norm and no one seems to do anything to try to prevent them. It's the same story over and over, 4 or 5 guys kicking down a front door, tying up victims, robbing them, holding guns to their heads, etc. How long will some stay in denial about the serious crime in Charlotte?

Exactly, keeping your head up will not prevent any crime from happening, especially for females who are more often targets.
(lap # 1,121,901,111 around this track).

Okay I'm going to humor you and be the first to admit I must be one of the "naive" citizens you are referring to. Choosing not to live every day in fear and terror isn't the same as being in denial. There are all sorts of community watch programs that a ton of communities have implemented.

I'm not talking about you per se, but for every person that touts that the rest of us are in denial, I've yet to see that same group offer up any tangible and practical answers to the crime problem.

Last edited by Miker2069; 01-01-2008 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,897,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
...this is the first area that I have ever lived around where home invasions are the norm and no one seems to do anything to try to prevent them. It's the same story over and over, 4 or 5 guys kicking down a front door, tying up victims, robbing them, holding guns to their heads, etc. How long will some stay in denial about the serious crime in Charlotte?
Perhaps I am naive or in denial, but I have yet to hear anyone characterize home invasions as the norm, nor do I, who live in "dangerous east Charlotte, hear about them happening in my neighborhood. Where are they "the norm"? Perhaps there have been a half dozen (?) or so in Charlotte in the past six months, but I would hardly call that the norm.

I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong. I only know what I myself have experienced. I am not afraid to be out shopping or visiting neighbors after dark; nor am I afraid to drive drive down Independence, Albemarle, Monroe or Central Avenue after a movie or a restaurant dinner. For years (up until recently) I drove home from UNCC at night. I see young women walking their dogs past my house until the late news is over. I just don't feel that I am living in a crime ridden city. Am I wearing blinders? I frequently look at the crime reports for my neighborhood but I don't see these break-ins, home invasions and assaults that everyone else experiences. I sincerely want an answer to my question and am not trying to be provocative.

Last edited by BarbJ; 01-01-2008 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 06:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Perhaps I am naive or in denial, but I have yet to hear anyone characterize home invasions as the norm, nor do I, who live in "dangerous east Charlotte, hear about them happening in my neighborhood. Where are they "the norm"? Perhaps there have been a half dozen (?) or so in Charlotte in the past six months, but I would hardly call that the norm.

I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong. I only know what I myself have experienced. I am not afraid to be out shopping or visiting neighbors after dark; nor am I afraid to drive drive down Independence, Albemarle, Monroe or Central Avenue after a movie or a restaurant dinner. For years (up until recently) I drove home from UNCC at night. I see young women walking their dogs past my house until the late news is over. I just don't feel that I am living in a crime ridden city. Am I wearing blinders? I frequently look at the crime reports for my neighborhood but I don't see these break-ins. home invasions and assaults that everyone else experiences. I sincerely want an answer to my question and am not trying to be provocative.

Great post Barb I appreciate that you are willing to consider the possibility that you are "in denial" - though I highly doubt you are. Many of us who have lived here long term can attest to the fact that there is more crime here than say, 10 years ago. BUT, there are also hundreds of thousands of more people here now, so none of us should be surprised that the crime rate has also grown. In reality, crime is NOT happening on every street corner and the vast majority of us will not be victims of crime if we do the things all prudent folks should do who live in a city as large as Charlotte has become.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Great post Barb I appreciate that you are willing to consider the possibility that you are "in denial" - though I highly doubt you are. Many of us who have lived here long term can attest to the fact that there is more crime here than say, 10 years ago. BUT, there are also hundreds of thousands of more people here now, so none of us should be surprised that the crime rate has also grown. In reality, crime is NOT happening on every street corner and the vast majority of us will not be victims of crime if we do the things all prudent folks should do who live in a city as large as Charlotte has become.
Barb and Loves - agree w/ you both. I am a very prudent person and tend to be overly cautious. That said, I have not encountered crime since I moved here and neither have any of my friends. Neighbors have suspected someone was messing around their houses several weeks ago, but evidently they were either kids or they were "scared off." That is the closest I have come to any concerns in five years.

And Barb, if I needed to drive to class at UNCC - or anywhere else, for that matter, I am like you - I would do it and I would not be shaking w/ fear, either - I would just be my typical alert self. I prefer not to be out and about by myself at nite but I have always been that way, regardless of where I lived. I have always been more concerned about drivers and accidents (no matter where I lived) than being a crime victim, especially at nite.

We do not have to live in CLT. We could live anywhere in the region - as in - in Lenoir, if we wanted to. The only requirement for us is - access to an airport (as far as w/ our jobs). We chose to live here.

People - there is no place in CLT that can compare to - say - East LA/ Compton and yet I bet if I get on the LA forum . . . residents in LA are not expressing as much concern about crime as I am seeing on this (and other) threads.

Maybe I will just mosey over there . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte