U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:35 AM
am2

413 posts, read 743,750 times

Advertisements

Here, Ive only seen traffic circles in subdivisions, in NJ there on main arterial roads. So until I see them on US 29 in Concord, or US 74 in Monroe, I wouldn't sweat it. And several of the ones in Jersey have been taken put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,568,273 times
I like the traffic circles. If you think about it, people SHOULD slow down as they encounter them and if there was an accident it would be at a slower speed. As opposed to a 4 way intersection where if someone ran a red light they would be going much faster.

I was in the UK a month ago and was brave enough to rent a car. It was confusing which road I needed when I exited the roundabout, but I liked how the traffic flowed with them.
It was even more confusing when there were 2 of them in a row, sort of like a figure 8!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 AM

569 posts, read 1,221,421 times
Ha, roundabouts and circles. That reminds me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc

Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, I learned to drive on Ellisburg Circle, (once the most notorious circle in the state) Racetrack Circle, & Airport Circle. What I miss are the jughandles, although 74 in Shelby has a thing going on that's very similar.

Learning to drive on the circles came in handy when I took my NC driving test because there was a question about driving on circles & at that time there was nothing in the driving manual about circlesl.
I've seen circles / roundabouts everywhere so picking out Jersey for that is rather funny.

I quoted you because I remember as a kid going to visit my grandparents in Jersey and running into jughandles for the first time! I think they are much safer and more logical then roundabouts in many instances where an overpass doesn't make sense.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,533,359 times
Takes me back to the old Freehold Circle near the Raceway. Gone for years now, but I remember clearly driving (rather, my parents driving) it.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM

54 posts, read 125,003 times
When you were taught to drive on circles in Jersey, you were told don't stop... Not the safest thing at all, but if everyone followed this it somehow worked out.. I drove them evey day for years..

Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM

21,860 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've seen circles / roundabouts everywhere so picking out Jersey for that is rather funny.

I quoted you because I remember as a kid going to visit my grandparents in Jersey and running into jughandles for the first time! I think they are much safer and more logical then roundabouts in many instances where an overpass doesn't make sense.
Mikey, I love jughandles. The only problem is that NJDOT frequently doesn't bother to clearly mark that you are approaching them. Now the circles near me were always clearly marked in advance. Having enjoyed the experience of being behind non-locals who had no clue what a circle was many many times, it probably doesn't matter that the jughandles are frequently not clearly marked. If NCDOT was going to appropriate one of the oddities of the NJDOT, I would have voted for jughandles.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:15 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I like the traffic circles. If you think about it, people SHOULD slow down as they encounter them and if there was an accident it would be at a slower speed. As opposed to a 4 way intersection where if someone ran a red light they would be going much faster.

I was in the UK a month ago and was brave enough to rent a car. It was confusing which road I needed when I exited the roundabout, but I liked how the traffic flowed with them.
It was even more confusing when there were 2 of them in a row, sort of like a figure 8!
traffic circles are very dangerous (or at least that what the statistics showed here in the U.S.) That's why they were phased out.

Roundabouts basically force you to yield. I've run into several of them in NC. I'm really not a fan of jughandles....never was....plus I don't need people from around here look at me like i have 3 heads when I ask them if they've ever heard of a jughandle.....

Old 11-24-2010, 05:25 PM

21,860 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
traffic circles are very dangerous (or at least that what the statistics showed here in the U.S.) That's why they were phased out.

Roundabouts basically force you to yield. I've run into several of them in NC. I'm really not a fan of jughandles....never was....plus I don't need people from around here look at me like i have 3 heads when I ask them if they've ever heard of a jughandle.....
There are several places in Shelby where the side access roads actually come to traffic lights & therefore, by accident, become sort of jughandles.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM

515 posts, read 905,921 times
They have spent years ripping these crazy rotaries out of new england, it's funny to be seeing them popping up here. I guess I just don't understand traffic engineering down here. Lanes come and go on the highway, they build a dinky 2 lane road (485) where all the people are, then insist on left hand turns to access the highway (Johnson Rd). Don't even get me started on the new Walmart in Indian Land...the traffic pattern in the parking lot is crazy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte