U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM

343 posts, read 627,763 times

Advertisements

Anyone noticing the traffic circles popping up everywhere.

From a website about NJ:

This is a list of traffic circles in New Jersey. The U.S. state of New Jersey at one point had a total of 101 traffic circles, 44 of which were part of state roads. However, the number has shrunk as traffic circles have been phased out by the New Jersey Department of Transportation.[1][2] In the 1920s and 1930s, New Jersey felt that traffic circles were an efficient way for moving traffic through three or more intersecting roads.[1] Built in 1925, the first traffic circle in New Jersey was the Airport Circle in Pennsauken.[3] Many of these interchanges are rotaries in design, as opposed to the more successful modern roundabout.
As suburban and rural populations grew New Jersey's traffic circles became outdated. The increased number of drivers on the roads resulted in traffic circles being more likely to hinder traffic than help it. Increased number of vehicles and faster traffic speeds made traffic circles more dangerous and accidents common.[1] Many traffic circles became notorious for having frequent accidents and being confusing, especially for non-locals.[4] The confusion frequently is the result of ignorance of the elementary traffic law which governs right of way while using traffic circles, NJSA 39:4-90

If this is so, we need to get them out of office, NJ is a very poorly run state.

Not to mention the talk of toll roads going in """GARDEN PARKWAY""", sounds like the corrupted "Garden State Parkway" in NJ.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,869,465 times
hate to tell you this, but, traffic circles..or roundabouts...are a fixture in Europe and have been for far many years than they have been in New Jersey....

Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 PM

23,777 posts, read 30,962,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
Anyone noticing the traffic circles popping up everywhere.

From a website about NJ:

This is a list of traffic circles in New Jersey. The U.S. state of New Jersey at one point had a total of 101 traffic circles, 44 of which were part of state roads. However, the number has shrunk as traffic circles have been phased out by the New Jersey Department of Transportation.[1][2] In the 1920s and 1930s, New Jersey felt that traffic circles were an efficient way for moving traffic through three or more intersecting roads.[1] Built in 1925, the first traffic circle in New Jersey was the Airport Circle in Pennsauken.[3] Many of these interchanges are rotaries in design, as opposed to the more successful modern roundabout.
As suburban and rural populations grew New Jersey's traffic circles became outdated. The increased number of drivers on the roads resulted in traffic circles being more likely to hinder traffic than help it. Increased number of vehicles and faster traffic speeds made traffic circles more dangerous and accidents common.[1] Many traffic circles became notorious for having frequent accidents and being confusing, especially for non-locals.[4] The confusion frequently is the result of ignorance of the elementary traffic law which governs right of way while using traffic circles, NJSA 39:4-90

If this is so, we need to get them out of office, NJ is a very poorly run state.

Not to mention the talk of toll roads going in """GARDEN PARKWAY""", sounds like the corrupted "Garden State Parkway" in NJ.
LOL, I learned to drive on Ellisburg Circle, (once the most notorious circle in the state) Racetrack Circle, & Airport Circle. What I miss are the jughandles, although 74 in Shelby has a thing going on that's very similar.

Learning to drive on the circles came in handy when I took my NC driving test because there was a question about driving on circles & at that time there was nothing in the driving manual about circlesl.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,740,142 times
I have noticed them. There is one in Rock Hill near the Lowes, then oneon the road thats near the Sears outlet that takes you back into Fort Mill, and one near the Whitewater Center. I was never a fan of traffic circles, but, growing up in New England, encountered them a lot.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,696,048 times
Traffic circles and roads are the least of my worries... how about we fix the school system first.
And why are you picking on NJ?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,736,076 times
Roundabouts just make you want to accelerate into curves...

Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 PM

9,115 posts, read 16,544,454 times
I don't mind roundabouts (which are different than circles). From what I've heard, studies shown they are much more safer than circles...

Anyone have any data history on this?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't mind roundabouts (which are different than circles). From what I've heard, studies shown they are much more safer than circles...

Anyone have any data history on this?
Jack, considering some of the stuff that I've seen happen on circles, I'm a firm believer that safety is relative. When faced with a traffic circle for the 1st time, I have seen the resullts of the creativity, or lack there of, of American drivers.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 25,078,887 times
New England , New York , and New Jersey have always had Roundabouts , Traffic Circles or Rotaries. NJ has 46 , NY has 30-60 , New England has over 300+ , some cities have 5 of them. NJ has 4 Roundabout Interchanges , NY has 6 and New England has 20+ , Roundabout Interchanges are like a gift form Heaven. No long waits , nice smooth merge most of the time , easier to use....going to the beach gliding around the circle , is so peacefully. My state is upgrading 11 circles to full Roundabout Interchanges. If you look back at Northeastern Rail and Road history you'll see they planned it quite well , it was very advanced for its time. Unfortnatly most of that original design has been changed to something less then that.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
New England , New York , and New Jersey have always had Roundabouts , Traffic Circles or Rotaries. NJ has 46 , NY has 30-60 , New England has over 300+ , some cities have 5 of them. NJ has 4 Roundabout Interchanges , NY has 6 and New England has 20+ , Roundabout Interchanges are like a gift form Heaven. No long waits , nice smooth merge most of the time , easier to use....going to the beach gliding around the circle , is so peacefully. My state is upgrading 11 circles to full Roundabout Interchanges. If you look back at Northeastern Rail and Road history you'll see they planned it quite well , it was very advanced for its time. Unfortnatly most of that original design has been changed to something less then that.
Hey Nexis! Please check & see if you can find a picture of Ellisburg Circle. It would be appropriate for this thread, but I can't find a picture of it. I know that there used to be several online, but they seem to be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte