U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 AM

245 posts, read 353,239 times

Advertisements

What's the average cost of a taxi ride from the Amtrak Station to the Charlotte airport, and what's the best payment method (are credit cards accepted)?

Also, since the train from D.C. arrives around 2:30am, would there be much of a problem getting a taxi at that early hour?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
You might have to call ahead for a taxi.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:04 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,639,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriouserGeorge View Post
What's the average cost of a taxi ride from the Amtrak Station to the Charlotte airport, and what's the best payment method (are credit cards accepted)?

Also, since the train from D.C. arrives around 2:30am, would there be much of a problem getting a taxi at that early hour?

Thanks in advance
What time is your flight? Depending on weekday or weekend, bus service starts at either 5:30ish or 6ish. There is bus that will get you downtown quick and there's a new thing called a Sprinter that gets you from downtown transportation center to the Airport quick. The Sprinter runs around the clock and costs a whopping $1.75.

Yellow Cab online estimates the cost of the taxi to be about $30.

704-336-RIDE for Charlotte transit or use maps.google.com which has integrated Charlotte mass transit routes programmed in.

I don't think the bus would work for a flight earlier than 9am considering security but just in case you had a long layover it would be worth considering.

http://ww.charmeck.org/cats/routes/05%20Sprinter.pdf

Old 11-26-2010, 03:36 PM

308 posts, read 529,508 times
My bet would be $40-$50 dollars.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:13 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
Its a rough neighborhood around the station. My advice would be to call for a cab.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:00 AM

171 posts, read 277,370 times
Don't take the Amtrak train from DC. Get on the NCDOT passenger train service (Carolinian) instead. It arrives in the evening. Here is the link.

Leaves DC around lunch time and gets to Charlotte a little after 8pm.

http://www.bytrain.org There is a page on public transit options and other info about the Charlotte station as well on this website.

Last edited by CherryTwist; 11-27-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 PM

153 posts, read 405,379 times
Maybe it would be easier to just fly out of one of the D.C. area airports, CuriouserGeorge ?

I presume there is some reason you want to travel by way of Charlotte-Douglas ... maybe you're connecting with someone here.

Noting your Marina del Rey hometown, there are several U.S. Airways flights out of Reagan International that go to Los Angelos, with a connection in Charlotte.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:54 PM

245 posts, read 353,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Indian Land View Post
Maybe it would be easier to just fly out of one of the D.C. area airports, CuriouserGeorge ?

I presume there is some reason you want to travel by way of Charlotte-Douglas ... maybe you're connecting with someone here.

Noting your Marina del Rey hometown, there are several U.S. Airways flights out of Reagan International that go to Los Angelos, with a connection in Charlotte.
Yes, I am visiting a sister in Asheville, but the only convenient flights into that airport are very late and absurdly expensive (around $400, which about $120 more than my flight from L.A. to Reagan International). It's more affordable flying into Charlotte, but I'm still bothered that my sister would have to pick me up from there at a late hour. So I thought why not take Amtrak? It also arrives pretty late (about 2am), but I figured I could catch a cab over to the Charlotte airport, then rent a car and just drive to Asheville saving my sister the effort. In the end, though, I've decided to just take Amtrak to Spartanburg, and my sister will pick me up there around 4 or 4:30am. That's a more manageable inconvenience.

Thanks for the heads-up on the flights from LA to Charlotte, and I'll keep them in mind. Unfortunately, first I have business in DC, and that's why I'm coming from that direction and will have to return via that route.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:27 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,314,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
Don't take the Amtrak train from DC. Get on the NCDOT passenger train service (Carolinian) instead. It arrives in the evening. Here is the link.

Leaves DC around lunch time and gets to Charlotte a little after 8pm.

http://www.bytrain.org There is a page on public transit options and other info about the Charlotte station as well on this website.
The Carolinian is Amtrak......

Old 12-02-2010, 04:26 PM

308 posts, read 529,508 times
Is there a scheduled train that allows people to commute between Kanapolis and Charlotte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or