Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 AM

16 posts, read 63,428 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Charlotte area. We have 3 young children 8yrs. and under and are looking for an upscale area around Charlotte. We currently live in an upscale seaside town about 20 miles north of Boston and are looking for something similar in the Charlotte area. We are pretty much done with Massachusetts, the people and the weather.
We would like to be close enough to the city to be able to enjoy all it has to offer, but prefer a smaller family oriented community to raise our kids. (our current town has about 23,000 people) a bit bigger would be fine.
I haven't heard fabulous things about the public schools down there, but would certianly consider it as an option, we would also like to have private/parochial to choose from. We have pretty particular taste and don't want a neighborhood where all the houses look exactly the same but would like new construction and a pool is a must as is being near the water.
I guess we would like to replicate what we have here only down there with nicer people and a bigger/newer home. Is that possible. Our price range would be anywhere from $550,000-$850,000. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
South Charlotte has massive numbers of upscale areas from which to choose, too many to list (Balyntine, Southpark, etc.). If you want to be a little more suburban, Lake Norman and Weddington are very upscale. But Charlotte has an awesome Catholic schools system.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to the Charlotte area. We have 3 young children 8yrs. and under and are looking for an upscale area around Charlotte. We currently live in an upscale seaside town about 20 miles north of Boston and are looking for something similar in the Charlotte area. We are pretty much done with Massachusetts, the people and the weather.
We would like to be close enough to the city to be able to enjoy all it has to offer, but prefer a smaller family oriented community to raise our kids. (our current town has about 23,000 people) a bit bigger would be fine.
I haven't heard fabulous things about the public schools down there, but would certianly consider it as an option, we would also like to have private/parochial to choose from. We have pretty particular taste and don't want a neighborhood where all the houses look exactly the same but would like new construction and a pool is a must as is being near the water.
I guess we would like to replicate what we have here only down there with nicer people and a bigger/newer home. Is that possible. Our price range would be anywhere from $550,000-$850,000. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Check out the Palasaides in southern Mecklenburg county on Lake Wylie. I believe this may be exactly what you are looking for. There is even an Episcopal school set to open there this year IN the neighborhood.

To the north of Charlotte, give the little college town of Davidson a look see. It is on Lake Norman and has wonderful public schools.

Best of luck!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,746 times
Thumbs up All the Right moves!

Have you been down here yet? It is beautiful!

You will enjoy it. With the kids at that age, watch your schools. Use GreatSchools.net to research.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:03 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
Once again, I agree with lovesMountains...two great recommendations. Lake Wylie and Lake Norman are likely where you will want to be. There are other options for you as well, depending on how close to the water you would like to be.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM

513 posts, read 2,112,034 times
Check out the Peninsula on Lake Norman, The Point on Lake Norman, Northview Harbor, The Palisades on Lake Wylie. There's a lot of new construction on Lake Wylie now. You should probably just contact a realtor for some ideas. Check out AllenTate.com. They are a big realtor here. The best private schools around include Charlotte Country Day, Providence Day, Charlotte Latin. None are convenient from Lake Norman, however. There are lots of others to choose from! I am not familiar with private schools up by Lake Norman! I'm from MA originally too! I have been here 10 years now and love it. Miss Boston just because it's a great city and I love the ocean. But, you can get so much more house here for your money and the property taxes don't even compare.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Sounds like The Peninsula on Lake Norman is the place for you. But, do yourself a favor, and don't believe everything Northerners tell you about the supposed "terrible" schools in the Charlotte area.....been there heard that, moved down here, and am PLEASANTLY surprised.
Good Luck to you!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 PM

536 posts, read 1,693,746 times
Thumbs up LovingCharlotte

Over by Lake Wylie, is a nice place called the Palisades.

The Palisades New Homes in Charlotte NC (Lake Wylie)

PM me if you need assistance!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,782,868 times
You might want to check out the town of Lake Wylie (just SE of Charlotte). There are a number of upscale communities that are being built by prestigious custom builders and the area is just off the lake. I moved here 6 years ago from Marin County (near San Francisco) which is proported to be the best area to live in the US (and the most expensive also). But I found Lake Wylie to be more desireable.

It is a short commute to the city and airport and has a very highly rated school system.

If you would like the names of the communities so that you can research them on the web, PM me and I will send you a list so that you can check them out on the web.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 AM

167 posts, read 689,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
I moved here 6 years ago from Marin County (near San Francisco)
Just curious...Where in Marin did you live? I used to live in Woodacre and Fairfax before moving to NJ when I was in HS. My brother didn't like it here and moved back. He lives in San Anselmo. And talk about expensive housing...Nothing is crazier than Marin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte