U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
I would suggest Belmont. Otherwise, you can live West OF Charlotte (as LovesMountains pointed out this is not West Charlotte) in the Mountain Island Lake area. The schools are not great, but there are GREAT neighborhoods ranging from 250+ homes in Mt. Island Harbour to 400+ homes on the water in Overlook to old fashion brick houses on large lots in the safe, established Coulwood.
If you look in the Mountain Island area, there are good charter schools (many use Lincoln Charter, Lake Norman Charter or Mountain Island Charter) or private schools (Catholic or Episcopal schools uptown or Gaston Day or Gaston Christian in Gaston country).

Hope you find what you are looking for!
Taben
I know that you mean well, but the OP is working in Greenville, SC, while her husband is working in Uptown. Would you want to commute from either of those locations to Greenville? I've suggested Belmont to a lot of people, but I honestly think that she needs to stay west, either in Gastonia or Kings Mountain. Clover might work for her, but both she & her husband would have to use secondary roads part way from there. Kings Mountain & Gastonia allow both to take major roads & lessen the distance for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,579,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
I would suggest Belmont. Otherwise, you can live West OF Charlotte (as LovesMountains pointed out this is not West Charlotte) in the Mountain Island Lake area. The schools are not great, but there are GREAT neighborhoods ranging from 250+ homes in Mt. Island Harbour to 400+ homes on the water in Overlook to old fashion brick houses on large lots in the safe, established Coulwood.
If you look in the Mountain Island area, there are good charter schools (many use Lincoln Charter, Lake Norman Charter or Mountain Island Charter) or private schools (Catholic or Episcopal schools uptown or Gaston Day or Gaston Christian in Gaston country).

Hope you find what you are looking for!
Taben

While Coulwood is established it is not safe any longer.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
While Coulwood is established it is not safe any longer.
I agree. If you do a crime map on it all sorts of unsavory activities come up.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 AM

811 posts, read 1,646,541 times
I lived in Gastonia off of New Hope Rd exit (mall). Hudson Woods --this was about 10 yrs ago.

I commuted to Spartanburg for 6+ months and it wasn't bad because there was NO traffic just all interstate/mileage but if they are doing construction you will have a prob.

Then I drove to downtown Charlotte for a few months from that location as well--back then traffic was nil on I 85 but as Gastonia got more popular it has picked up. I would take Freedom Rd exit and go the back way into downtown--super easy and wasn't as busy as the more well known arteries. It brings you in near Panther stadium.

Overall even as a single female I enjoyed the location. I could get to Charlotte places quite easily and sometimes faster than people that lived in Charlotte proper. Shopping--they have all the basics and it was not a prob on weekends to go to the nicer shops in CLT esp now that 485 is open for Ballantyne or Billy Graham to get over to South Park Mall.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
I lived in Gastonia off of New Hope Rd exit (mall). Hudson Woods --this was about 10 yrs ago.

I commuted to Spartanburg for 6+ months and it wasn't bad because there was NO traffic just all interstate/mileage but if they are doing construction you will have a prob.

Then I drove to downtown Charlotte for a few months from that location as well--back then traffic was nil on I 85 but as Gastonia got more popular it has picked up. I would take Freedom Rd exit and go the back way into downtown--super easy and wasn't as busy as the more well known arteries. It brings you in near Panther stadium.

Overall even as a single female I enjoyed the location. I could get to Charlotte places quite easily and sometimes faster than people that lived in Charlotte proper. Shopping--they have all the basics and it was not a prob on weekends to go to the nicer shops in CLT esp now that 485 is open for Ballantyne or Billy Graham to get over to South Park Mall.

Good luck with your move!
That's the fly in the ointment. I 85 is slated for reconstrucction all of the way through Kings Mountain, to the SC border. Traffic is usually steady, but almost never heavy on that stretch & down into Grover & Blacksburg.

I haven't got any idea what the traffic is between Spartanburg & Greenville, but probably heavier because of the proximity of the 2 cities.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM

Just an FYI in case the OP checks this thread before coming for a trip. The 2 top elementary schools in Kings Mountain are East Elementary & West Elementary. East is the best & West is nipping at their heels. There is a very nice house on the market directly across the street from West Elementary,on Mountain St. It's not new construction, but is a beautiful house. I'm not certain which elementary school area the apartments that I suggested are in, but I suspect East Elementary.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM

58 posts, read 106,447 times
A few months old, but just in case anyone is checking this thread thinking about a move to west of Charlotte area, most all of the charter schools mentioned have their lotteries in Jan/Feb time frame. So you wouldn't have any chance to get into one of those until fall 2012. I had thought with the rating of some of them that would be a good choice, if I could get lucky in the lotteries they have. But you have to apply 7-8 months ahead. So if yo don't have that kind of time frame for your move, most of the charter schools are out. Just an FYI.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sea View Post
A few months old, but just in case anyone is checking this thread thinking about a move to west of Charlotte area, most all of the charter schools mentioned have their lotteries in Jan/Feb time frame. So you wouldn't have any chance to get into one of those until fall 2012. I had thought with the rating of some of them that would be a good choice, if I could get lucky in the lotteries they have. But you have to apply 7-8 months ahead. So if yo don't have that kind of time frame for your move, most of the charter schools are out. Just an FYI.
Funny that you brought this thread up. I thought of it while I was sitting in the traffic jam from hell on I 85 in Kings Mountain the other day because of the road construction. I wondered where those people ended up, because if she decided to get any closer to Charlotte than Gastonia she must be having the commute from hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or