U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,314,869 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, one of the stipulations for stimulus was 'shovel ready' projects...so a bunch of big-ticket infrastructure projects were passed over. High-speed rail, major road construction, bridge/tunnel repair, airport construction, nuclear power plants, etc - things with both a lot of short term jobs and long term benefits. Instead, for the most part, we got a lot of smaller projects that while potentially worthwhile, diluted the impact somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 03:58 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I can't speak for the other states, but here in NC we had 2 instances where some stimulus money was spent inappropriately. The media got a hold of the stupid project at UNC & the general concensus was that it was an inappropriate way to spend that money. I'm not sure how well known it was that Charlotte frittered away a lump of money that would have been enough to do any number of things that would have resulted in some permanent jobs.

The media got a hold of inappropriate uses of the stimulus money & people assumed that it was all spent that way.

In my opinion, our governor has done just about everything right on this. The link that I showed illustrates where some of that money went. In that instance, it went to infrastucture improvements & either resulted in newly created jobs or work for people who have jobs. There is nothing inappropriate there.

In Kings Mountain, the best example that I can give is the Plonk building. It is over 100 years old & had functioned as a department store. It's been empty for years. Grants were procured from several of the funds. By mid year next year there will be 2 restaurants (Old Stone & Jax) & they are looking for a retail shop on the ground floor. On the upper floor, there will be 5 condos on one side & 5 offices on the other. There are already 2 businesses slated for the offfices. This project alone is giving work to construction people, while the building is gutted & repurposed.

It's that sort of thing that didn't make the news.

In my opinion, what the country needs is a 2nd, smaller, stimulus with strict conditions put on it, so that it would be used the way that NC is using it. Instead, we have a gang going to DC to kill what hasn't been spent.

Obviously, some of these posters are lacking in knowledge of what it took to get out of The Great Depression. It took massive federal spending & WWII to get the people back to work & that federal spending then was made back in wage taxes. This shouldn't be a right-wing, left-wing thing. This is common sense if you know history. I remember many years ago when my friends & I asked why we had to learn history & we were told "If you don't learn history, you're doomed to repeat it."
I am not able to give SB any more rep points, so, someone please do so! This is a great post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte