U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM

686 posts, read 1,412,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Well, as usual. What would have been a positive thread for the turnaround of Charlotte's economy has been taken over by doom and gloomers and so many pessimists.
There are getting to be a lot of topics that people won't allow themselves to be positive about. It is sad, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM

21,813 posts, read 27,068,128 times
Quote:
Well, as usual. What would have been a positive thread for the turnaround of Charlotte's economy has been taken over by doom and gloomers and so many pessimists. I guess maybe we should just expel the federal government, get rid of taxes, make the stimulus illegal, try legislators who supported it for war crimes, and revert to the yeoman system.
I thought that this was a good thread, but you're right as to the apparent result Calling me dull for believing that something is happening is rather pathetic, because I see what's happening, not closing my eyes & clicking my heels together & wishing it was so.

What I do know is that people here are excited that things are happening & if the momentum lasts a bit longer, this area can keep it up on it's own.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM

171 posts, read 277,038 times
Quote:
Well, as usual. What would have been a positive thread for the turnaround of Charlotte's economy has been taken over by doom and gloomers and so many pessimists......
When you created this topic, you asked for opinion. You didn't ask cheerleading. You should have said this what you desired. There is plenty of that in the rags that don't post anything but meaningless statistics. I will remind you of This Post. This is the post where I explained how unemployment statistics are meaningless in response to your question about it, yet your only response is to call it doom and gloomer.

The OP did not mention that 632 people lost jobs in Mecklenburg. These are the numbers for September and October which your OP referrs to.

September Mecklenburg
  • Workforce = 457,644
  • Workers with jobs = 412,532
  • Workers without jobs = 45,112
  • Unemployment = 9.86%

October Mecklenburg
  • Workforce = 456,819 <- Government removes 825 Jobs from the workforce. How can this be if Meck is growing?
  • Workers with jobs = 411,900 <- 632 real people lose jobs
  • Workers without jobs = 44,919 <- This number is really 45,744 but the gubment stopped counting 825 jobs.
  • Reported Unemployment = 9.83% <- This number is really 10.01% but the gubment shrank the workforce.
This miracle in economic improvement was created mathematically. It wasn't caused by an uptick in jobs because 632 people lost their jobs in that month. The media never reports this. The local media is irresponsible at best, outright liars most likely. How can an area that is increasing in population have a shrinking workforce?

One more time. In one month, the number of employed people in the county fell from 412,532 to 411,900. They have been doing this trick for months now to the order of over 32,000 jobs.

Last edited by CherryTwist; 12-01-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,090,599 times
Cherry, what do you wish to accomplish with these posts? While you may well be correct (not wanting to argue stats with you), you may also be raining on the small sliver of optimistic thought that might be trying to break through the clouds. As a country, we need this. We have been gloomy for the last two years and, not unjustifiably so, mind, but. still we need to find something positive or the country will not grow out of this recession. Just like a person with a serious disease; their positive attitude is a huge part of their recovery....this country needs to have an injection of happiness and positive thinking before we can fully recover.

It really is attitude more than ANY stat that you can show. I am a realist and I understand what you are saying. But, I also understand this situation and it needs positive thinking, not negative. Sometimes, you gotta do what's best for everyone. Your negative stats won't help anyone or anything. Maybe a dose of positive thinking WILL. We can only hope/pray.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,565,718 times
While we all want to have a glimmer of hope or some type of encouragement the cold hard facts are that while some things are in fact progressing there is much that isn't. We now have people sitting in Congress on both sides of the aisle that aren't going to commit political suicide so little to nothing will get done and this is a fact. We have thousands whose UE is ending (when you have people who are starving and losing what little they have, heLL is bound to break lose, learn your history), banks who are looking for round two of a bailout and foreign lands who are tossing the US currency out the window. I mean come on.......much needs to happen to overcome the obvious and pattern are showing we are going deeper not wading out of this.

While I am a believer in faith and hold close to that, it is also important to be realistic and prepared.
Looking at all of this through rose colored glasses is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM

830 posts, read 1,313,577 times
Belk to hire 75 for IT upgrade - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/19/1851387/belk-to-hire-75-for-it-upgrade.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,565,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Belk to hire 75 for IT upgrade - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/19/1851387/belk-to-hire-75-for-it-upgrade.html - broken link)

75 jobs over the next two years is hardly progress.........

especially when put in prospective........

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...-172-jobs.html

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

128 posts, read 240,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
75 jobs over the next two years is hardly progress.........

especially when put in prospective........

FedEx to cut 172 jobs | Charlotte Business Journal
Yea, but the 225 jobs announced by Shaw IS progress when you put it into perspective. Especially since they are mostly good paying jobs that are looking to be filled right away. Some of you negative nellies should really drink some different Kool-Aid. Perhaps you'll quit looking for every negative thing you can find and see the glass as half full instead.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM

830 posts, read 1,313,577 times
There will always be people hiring in bad times just as there are people laying off in good times. Point being that there are definitely companies expanding/hiring in the area...and people being added to payrolls at those companies. Is it widespread? Don't know, but there are still companies doing well and hiring...Family Dollar is another example in retail.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 AM

171 posts, read 277,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
...Point being that there are definitely companies expanding/hiring in the area...and people being added to payrolls at those companies.....
This isn't the point because this premise was never contested in this topic. The OP asked for an opinion on the BJ article that stated that Charlotte had turned around economically because the gubment decided to report a lower unemployment rate here. The information I posted was how that is simply a lie. Charlotte is not in an economic upturn if we continue to lose net jobs each month. The problem is worsened if one accepts the fact that we are still getting transplants (foolishly) moving here because of this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte