Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 AM

171 posts, read 317,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Cherry, what do you wish to accomplish with these posts? While you may well be correct (not wanting to argue stats with you), you may also be raining on the small sliver of optimistic thought that might be trying to break through the clouds. As a country, we need this. We have been gloomy for the last two years and, not unjustifiably so, mind, but. still we need to find something positive or the country will not grow out of this recession. Just like a person with a serious disease; their positive attitude is a huge part of their recovery....this country needs to have an injection of happiness and positive thinking before we can fully recover.

It really is attitude more than ANY stat that you can show. I am a realist and I understand what you are saying. But, I also understand this situation and it needs positive thinking, not negative. Sometimes, you gotta do what's best for everyone. Your negative stats won't help anyone or anything. Maybe a dose of positive thinking WILL. We can only hope/pray.
So let me get this straight. You don't disagree with anything I have posted, you can't be bothered to go and check my numerical facts yourself, and anyone looking objectively at the situation is equal to someone afflicted with a serious disease.

My purpose for posting here was to answer the OP's question on what is your opinion of the Charlotte economy based on the government's report. Rather than mindlessly believe the media, I went and did my own investigation. If more people did this we would not have the very things going on that you are left to dealing with by hope and prayer.

Solutions don't come from blissful ignorance. They come from knowledge. But knowledge takes work and the ability to accept what has been found which many, including those hoping and praying things will get better, are so far, unwilling to do. It's even worse when it's handed to them on a silver platter as I have just done. This is the real problem with this country. Sorry you don't get this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
UE numbers went down because there are those are no longer receiving benefits
so they are no longer calculated in the numbers. That isn't rocket science.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75 View Post
Yea, but the 225 jobs announced by Shaw IS progress when you put it into perspective. Especially since they are mostly good paying jobs that are looking to be filled right away. Some of you negative nellies should really drink some different Kool-Aid. Perhaps you'll quit looking for every negative thing you can find and see the glass as half full instead.

Sorry but I don't partake of the kool-aid.........but what I can tell you the "efforts" that are being touted here will in no way improve the economic standing of the community. Hiring needs an over-all boost not lay off 100, hire 18. It doesn't work like that.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Sorry but I don't partake of the kool-aid.........but what I can tell you the "efforts" that are being touted here will in no way improve the economic standing of the community. Hiring needs an over-all boost not lay off 100, hire 18. It doesn't work like that.
I understand exactly what you're saying & agree.

I can only speak for what's happening where I live. Unfortunately, I get most of my information from the Kings Mountain Herald which is not online, but is at the Kings Mountain Library.

There was an article last week which mentioned that the economy here had been based, for the most part, on farming & the mills. There were local businesses in the downtown. As the mills closed, so did the businesses, resulting in the loss of much of the middle class opportunities here.

The article went on to say that the current aim is to get a varied base in here to build on. They have, successfully, managed to get projects coming in here which has & will put a lot of construction people to work. people here are very optomistic. I've seen the change in the last 6 months. The only big job producer, so far, is the paper plant.

I've seen a steady stream of announcements here. It's made me wonder about the other sectors in this area, particularly Charlotte. Per capita, the announcements from Charlotte have been far lower than here, but there is a lot more retail etc. there, so my assumption was that there were private openings quietly happening there.

The failure of Congress to extend unemployment concerns me a lot. This is going to result in a rush to welfare & filing bankruptcy in the states, which will strain resources for working on recovery.

The closest thing, in my lifetime, to the current situation, was the recession in the 70s. Federal extentions went on & on then, only ending after enough people got back to work. The solution that the federal government came up with, then, was a tax credit to businesses for each unemployed person who was hired & retained for 1 year. That recession was not on the same scale as the current one.

My hope is that the local officials, here, are far enough along on talks with other businesses that they can get some more in here before incentive money is cut off.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I understand exactly what you're saying & agree.

I can only speak for what's happening where I live. Unfortunately, I get most of my information from the Kings Mountain Herald which is not online, but is at the Kings Mountain Library.

There was an article last week which mentioned that the economy here had been based, for the most part, on farming & the mills. There were local businesses in the downtown. As the mills closed, so did the businesses, resulting in the loss of much of the middle class opportunities here.

The article went on to say that the current aim is to get a varied base in here to build on. They have, successfully, managed to get projects coming in here which has & will put a lot of construction people to work. people here are very optomistic. I've seen the change in the last 6 months. The only big job producer, so far, is the paper plant.

I've seen a steady stream of announcements here. It's made me wonder about the other sectors in this area, particularly Charlotte. Per capita, the announcements from Charlotte have been far lower than here, but there is a lot more retail etc. there, so my assumption was that there were private openings quietly happening there.

The failure of Congress to extend unemployment concerns me a lot. This is going to result in a rush to welfare & filing bankruptcy in the states, which will strain resources for working on recovery.

The closest thing, in my lifetime, to the current situation, was the recession in the 70s. Federal extentions went on & on then, only ending after enough people got back to work. The solution that the federal government came up with, then, was a tax credit to businesses for each unemployed person who was hired & retained for 1 year. That recession was not on the same scale as the current one.

My hope is that the local officials, here, are far enough along on talks with other businesses that they can get some more in here before incentive money is cut off.

I have come to believe that the only communities that are making a true effort to revitalize are those who have been hit and hit hard by losing the
mills/factories. They have the desire to put life back into their neighborhoods.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I have come to believe that the only communities that are making a true effort to revitalize are those who have been hit and hit hard by losing the
mills/factories. They have the desire to put life back into their neighborhoods.
I think that you have something there.

I've wondered about that. Kings Mountain applies for several grants each month & so far they have gotten them all. It makes me wonder if very many other towns are making the effort to apply.

I know that Gastonia is working on stuff. They are intent on revitalizing downtown. The LaVecchias are working on the Webb Theater & will open Nick's Prime Rib there. The city is also trying to get the old Loray Mill completely re-purposed. (housing & retail)

The 2 Parkdale mills on Garrison have been torn down & I saw a for sale sign on the land.

In Kings Mountain, the difference over the last 6 months is visible. Construction people are going back to work. You can tell by the traffic around town, & I've heard comments in several places. The 1st phase of reconstruction is going on with the Plonk building. Old Stone Steakhouse & Battleground Bar will be similar but different from the Belmont restaurant. It will also be bigger. That will be the 1st of the 3 new restaurants to open. They say it will open in January, but February wouldn't surprise me or worry me. Jax Backstreet Tavern is slated to open in the spring.

I am concerned about potentially losing the incentive money. I'm also extremely concerned about cutting off the unemployment extensions.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
BofA... ugh

WikiLeaks Targeting Bank Of America? Interview Suggests Mega-Bank May Be Next

Quote:
The next target of WikiLeaks may be Bank of America, if comments made last year by the organization's editor-in-chief Julian Assange are any indication.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
So let me get this straight. You don't disagree with anything I have posted, you can't be bothered to go and check my numerical facts yourself, and anyone looking objectively at the situation is equal to someone afflicted with a serious disease.

My purpose for posting here was to answer the OP's question on what is your opinion of the Charlotte economy based on the government's report. Rather than mindlessly believe the media, I went and did my own investigation. If more people did this we would not have the very things going on that you are left to dealing with by hope and prayer.

Solutions don't come from blissful ignorance. They come from knowledge. But knowledge takes work and the ability to accept what has been found which many, including those hoping and praying things will get better, are so far, unwilling to do. It's even worse when it's handed to them on a silver platter as I have just done. This is the real problem with this country. Sorry you don't get this.
So is the John Locke Foundation the source you get your info from? The fact of the matter is that jobs are being created, one job created is better than no job being created! I'm no cheerleader by any sense, and I have sense to know that things are still bad, but in any case, when there is a job announcement taking place, that makes me hopeful that something is being done! I know that may not go with your agenda b/c it seems like you want to see a conspiracy in everything, but I do believe that things are turning around, slowly but surely! And I agree wholeheartedly with chicagocubs, why should we be negative about everything, negativity gets us nowhere! I'll gladly take the 225 jobs that Shaw Energy is adding over time than 0 jobs added any day!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
PWC, Hitler & Joseph Stalin put millions of people to work. It does matter how it is done. As for your claim that jobs are coming back, they are not. Where are your facts?

As for the statement "what have you done to create jobs"? More than 1/2 of my salary each week is taken away by the state and federal government which is given to others. Even more is taken by the local government in a multitude of additional taxes. Should I be handing over 75%, maybe 100% so that the government can create a false economy to employ others? How much more do you suggest they take from working people to "create jobs". I ask again, when, did we as a nation, put so much dependence on the government to solve our problems?
Try the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)

If, in fact, more than 1/2 of your salary is being taken in taxes, then you have a very high-paying job & have been personally uneffected by this recession. Congratulations.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,867 times
Dang. I was hoping (rooting?) for (against?) Goldman Sachs in light of how much they borrowed from various programs in the last 2+ years (~35B - 39B), while stating that they were in good shape and posted record profits last year. Some light needs to be shed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte