Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
I have stuck by the United Way in the past. There was a different "scandal" a few years back, but still, I stuck with them because I think an "umbrella" agency is a good thing for the community. However, this latest action is the last straw for me. I will never donate to them again. They have totally lost my trust. Unless there is something else they are trying to cover up, I don't see how Gloria Pace King had a chance in court. She was fired with cause for lying on her expense account and misusing funds. Charlotte really seems to have "something rotten" amongst its nonprofit and community services ranks recently. Open Door, DSS, United Way -- there seem to be no ethics anymore.

This is absolutely not true. WE should stick to the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
The fact is:

If you want your hard earned money to pay the exorbitant salary of a CEO - give to the United Way.

If you want your hard earned money to go directly to someone in need - give directly to the charity of your choice.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 12-02-2010 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: to correct spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Serious question Charlotteborn; what is an "exhorbitant [sic] salary" for an organization that collects and distributes tens of millions of dollars as well as thousands upon thousands of volunteer hours for causes that assist local people in need? Local charities are great, but the UW provides an excellent service as well. All you have to do is talk to some of the heads of these local charities to find that out... Go talk to Crisis Assistance or Communities in Schools and ask them what they think of UW.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Native-Son - Do you honestly believe that a representative of a charity that receives money from United Way is going to say negative things about the CEOs salary? Give me a break....

Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Native-Son - Do you honestly believe that a representative of a charity that receives money from United Way is going to say negative things about the CEOs salary? Give me a break....
No I don't, but the degree to which they speak positively has influenced me personally.

And what do you think a fair salary is? I'm honestly curious about it...

Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Serious question Charlotteborn; what is an "exhorbitant [sic] salary" for an organization that collects and distributes tens of millions of dollars as well as thousands upon thousands of volunteer hours for causes that assist local people in need? Local charities are great, but the UW provides an excellent service as well. All you have to do is talk to some of the heads of these local charities to find that out... Go talk to Crisis Assistance or Communities in Schools and ask them what they think of UW.
Well, they quite easily found a competant replacement for a lot less money.

I would think you could find a fairly top-notch candidate for the job for 250,000 or so. So, I think you should let the board decide and then the public\donors are stakeholders so they will make their feelings known too.

Essentially it would need to be enough money to attract qualified applicants but not too much that it alienates the stakeholders. Seems like the market worked efficiently in this example.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Well said Mathguy! I agree. The new CEO is still making too much money (in my opinion) but obviously was willing to do the job for less.

I believe there are a number of qualified candidates that would agree to the job for a minimal salary. (maybe even a paltry $100,000/year ) There are plenty of qualified people in our area that are retired and/or don't need the money and might be willing to donate their time - maybe a few of these individuals could even share the job!

Regardless, I won't give to United Way EVER again. I prefer to spend/use my money wisely and believe I am the best judge of how my money should be spent.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM

well the article I linked earlier publishes Jane's salary as just over $140K/year.

I agree that they got fast and loose for a little while there when everything was booming. I think it's a mistake that many people made. My observations lead me to believe they learned their lesson and are acting as much better stewards now. And mathguy, I won't defend their mistakes, 'cause I agree that Ms. Pace-King shouldn't have made that kind of loot. I will forgive them though and encourage them to continue their good acts, of which there are many.

I just hope that people continue their charitable giving and don't use the UW scandal as an excuse to not give anything... 'cause when the charity money goes away we'll see more reliance on government services and NOBODY wants tax increases. I think we can all agree that even the UW runs efficiency circles around government services...

Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Not true. She was let go because of the public outcry about her compensation package and that's it. By all accounts she did a very good job.

I encourage everyone to read some articles about the issue... facts in this case are easy to find.
True to an extent. I am not bothered when a CEO (for any company) makes a substantial salary - there is a lot of work and sacrifice made to get to such a position, and it is one that carrries an enormous amount of responsibility. But it also seems that she also got away with a few "funky" moves to get her salary and benefits compensation to the level it was at. True, I do think that UW should have put their foot down a bit harder and nipped that in the bud, so they are partly to blame for that.

If the whole thing had ended when she was fired (as UW had every right to do), I could have cared less. Heck - even a wrongful termination suit...ok, let the courts handle it. But she came out making remarks of gender and racial discrimination...that's when I decided she was a poor excuse for a person and not worth an ounce of sympathy or support.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
What sticks out to me on this thread is that several people have commented that she was fired because of fraud or embezzlement, and that's not true.

So despite the fact that they were overwhelmingly happy with her and that by all accounts she did an excelent job and had worked her way up in the organization for a number of years, her name and reputation were tarnished. In part, because the public was upset that a charity many companies force them to donate to had an executive making that much money.

So I go to work for a non profit, do a great job for many years, get promoted until I run the place, help bring more money than ever to the organization, negotiate a salary in line with the top producers in my field, get fired because people think I make too much ....

It is just like a called it on this forum when this happened originally. She files suit, they settle out of court and hope the public forgets their role in this fiasco and focuses on King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
True to an extent. I am not bothered when a CEO (for any company) makes a substantial salary - there is a lot of work and sacrifice made to get to such a position, and it is one that carrries an enormous amount of responsibility. But it also seems that she also got away with a few "funky" moves to get her salary and benefits compensation to the level it was at. True, I do think that UW should have put their foot down a bit harder and nipped that in the bud, so they are partly to blame for that.

If the whole thing had ended when she was fired (as UW had every right to do), I could have cared less. Heck - even a wrongful termination suit...ok, let the courts handle it. But she came out making remarks of gender and racial discrimination...that's when I decided she was a poor excuse for a person and not worth an ounce of sympathy or support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte