Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM

241 posts, read 891,486 times

Advertisements

Yes, I realize that this is the Charlotte forum, but I've read a lot of peoples comments about going to Fort Mill, SC. It seems like an interesting place with good schools. I was wondering if anybody can offer opinions of why this would be better to move to than say South Charlotte (Providence and Ardrey Kell) or Union County (Weddington and Marvin Ridge School Districts specifically) or if it's not better? Also, I'm having some issues with the whole residency thing. My husband may want to go back to UNCC to finish his degree, I may want to get my masters and if my son wants to go to a NC school for college, will we all be considered out of state despite the proximity to NC? Or, is there some kind of loophole? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM

241 posts, read 891,486 times
Oh yeah, one more thing. Commute time to South Charlotte (Ballyntyne Area).

Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
Yes, I realize that this is the Charlotte forum, but I've read a lot of peoples comments about going to Fort Mill, SC. It seems like an interesting place with good schools. I was wondering if anybody can offer opinions of why this would be better to move to than say South Charlotte (Providence and Ardrey Kell) or Union County (Weddington and Marvin Ridge School Districts specifically) or if it's not better? Also, I'm having some issues with the whole residency thing. My husband may want to go back to UNCC to finish his degree, I may want to get my masters and if my son wants to go to a NC school for college, will we all be considered out of state despite the proximity to NC? Or, is there some kind of loophole? Thanks!
About school, you must be able to prove residency in North Carolina for one year prior to applying to that school if you wish to seek residency. Sorry, it's pretty straightforward.

There are loop holes to "prove" residency, but you'd have to get creative with friends/family living in NC. Go to UNCC's website and find the residency form. It will give you an idea of what kind of questions will be asked of you to prove residency.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
Oh yeah, one more thing. Commute time to South Charlotte (Ballyntyne Area).
Backroads 20 minutes.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
I think she is asking if there is any sort of reciprocacy agreement between NC/SC for "local" addresses. I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone will know.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
I think she is asking if there is any sort of reciprocacy agreement between NC/SC for "local" addresses. I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone will know.
I don't think there is. North Carolina is pretty strict about this.

Here are UNCC's guidelines: UNC Charlotte Registrar's Office (http://www.registrar.uncc.edu/students/resident.htm - broken link)

Here's a portion from the link:
Quote:
GENERAL RULES.
Under North Carolina law, to qualify for in-state tuition for a given term, you must prove that:
1. you established your domicile (legal residence) in NC 12 months prior to the beginning of the term and
2. you have maintained it for at least 12 continuous months.
To prove you established a bona fide domicile in North Carolina, you must prove that:
1. you were physically present in the state
2. with the intent to make NC your permanent home indefinitely
3. you did not move to NC solely for the purpose of attending an institution of higher learning in the State.

Because it is difficult to determine your intent to make North Carolina your home, classifiers must evaluate actions you have taken that may indicate "domiciliary intent." The Manual lists the following considerations which may be significant:

* Where do you live? With parents or family? Independently?
* When and where were you last claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes?
* Where did you last file a state income tax return?
* Where is your personal property listed for taxation?
* Where do you keep your personal property?
* Do you own a permanent home or other real estate?
* Where do you work?
* Where did you last obtain a driver's license?
* Who owns the car you drive and where is it registered?
* Where is the source of your financial support?
* Where did you last attend school?
* Where did you live before enrolling in an institution of higher education?
* Where are you registered to vote?
* Where did you vote?
* Where do you maintain memberships in professional associations, unions, and similar organizations?

Residency classifiers weigh all the evidence you furnish, and it is necessary that the preponderance (or greater weight) of the evidence must support your having established and maintained North Carolina domicile at least 12 months prior to the first day of class of the academic term for which you seek to be classified in-state and satisfy the requirements listed under the topic General Rules.

If the evidence shows you performed several residentiary acts (e.g., procuring a dwelling, beginning employment, opening a bank account, obtaining a driver's license, registering to vote, registering your automobile) at about the same time (within the same week, for example), the classifier will start counting from that point to determine if the 12-month requirement has been met. If instead the evidence has gradually accumulated over time, the classifier must decide at what point a preponderance of the evidence shows intent to establish North Carolina domicile, and that is the date on which the counting will begin.

Residency applications are available in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the Graduate Admissions Office, and the Registrar's Office. It is very important to fill out the form completely and clearly and attach documentation which will support your claim of in-state residency. If your answers are confusing or the form is incomplete, the classifier will have to request more information, which can delay the process. If you feel your answers to the questions on the form do not give an accurate picture of your case, please attach additional written explanations.

If your request for in-state residency is denied and you believe the decision is in error, you have the opportunity to appeal to the Residence Status Appeals Board. The initial decision letter will instruct you on how to file an appeal.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:21 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
There is not any reciprocal agreement between the Carolinas. Also, in York County, SC (where most of Fort Mill is and all of its town limits are) when you purchase a home, you must provide proof that you own the home to get the owner-occupied tax rate. They are strict on it too. I would suggest Strayer currently for MBA. Very close to SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte