U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,226 posts, read 4,487,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
OK, I was hoping you meant that. At first I thought you were saying there were no consequences to growing up fatherless. I agree 100%, there will be no improvement until, like I said, the structure of traditional family is re-instituted in the black community.
Virtually all male juvenile offenders are children from homes without a stable dad. This stat is exacerbated in urban neighborhoods. On that same line something like 60%+ of teen pregnancys occur to girls without a father or a consistent stable "father type" figure around. So yes it would make a HUGE difference in the positive direction. However this is a problem that's solved at it's most basic level within the neighborhood themselves, the churches, etc. LM is correct, the "family unit" is the basic building block of any society and when what we know as the family unit erodes, society as a whole goes along with it.

Right now there's a lot of very good programs that are making a positive difference, but frankly it's a water hose on an inferno in urban America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,297,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Virtually all male juvenile offenders are children from homes without a stable dad. This stat is exacerbated in urban neighborhoods. On that same line something like 60%+ of teen pregnancys occur to girls without a father or a consistent stable "father type" figure around. So yes it would make a HUGE difference in the positive direction. However this is a problem that's solved at it's most basic level within the neighborhood themselves, the churches, etc. LM is correct, the "family unit" is the basic building block of any society and when what we know as the family unit erodes, society as a whole goes along with it.

Right now there's a lot of very good programs that are making a positive difference, but frankly it's a water hose on an inferno in urban America.
Miker, I've really enjoyed your insights on this issue. You have spoken many important truth's in this and your last post. Thanks again.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,746 times
Lightbulb We need to get over the racism card

Regarless of who or what we are or where we are from - we want good, hard working people in society with family values and obey the law. This idea is slowly leaving our society and it do nothing but get worse as time goes on. I think that the mayor is seeing the numbers and it's frightning. It's not racism, it's FEAR.

People thought the Union County Sherriff's remarks were racist 4 weeks ago when he said that there appears to be an alarming problem based upon the number of African Americans in the county jail. Cau - 234, Hisp - 253 and A. Amer - 721.

In a class discussion recently, one of the students proposed the following question - - By a show of hands - how many people here would like a one way ticket back to Europe, Asia, Africa, etc., never to return to the U.S. again? - -out of 63 students, nobody raised their hand.

Last edited by wastingtime; 07-12-2007 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-12-2007, 12:49 PM

134 posts, read 287,755 times
Agreed, racism pops up too much as an excuse these days, so no further examination occurs.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 PM

525 posts, read 1,192,975 times
No one wants to face dirty truths. A spade is a spade. There are too many children in the AA community growing up without fathers or without MEN in their lives to show them how to be MEN. Moms can't do it all, there are just times when a boy needs to learn how to be a man from a man.

I understand what loves was saying about negative to have a baby out of wedlock. Years ago it was stigmatized and with the 70s and so forth babies are born all the time and it is a woman's right. Which I agree with..BUT where is the right of the child to grow up in a stable home with parents that care? Why do ppl see having babies with different men and they don't stick around as ok? I don't get it.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 97,468 times
I don't see not having a father as being the only problem: I think it is an overall attitude within certain communities of not valuing personal responsibility.

Irresponsibility with schoolwork, lack of discipline, not heeding to the laws, and irresponsibility with one's body leading to cycles of pregnancy for generations are all accepted and not "shunned" today.

Frankly, my dad died when I was young but my siblings and I still managed to be responsible citizens, college grads, volunteers in the community, and none of us have kids as none of us have yet to marry...we're "old school" like that. It was not about not having a father...it was about being in a family and a community that valued personal responsibility and achievement. This is possible in ALL socioeconomic communities if it is reinforced in the community as being important!

I'd personally like to see the NAACP address that.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 PM

525 posts, read 1,192,975 times
I think that is different though. Your mom didn't just not care if she got pregnant or not..does that make sense? I hpoe so..I don't know how else to explain it. I think that intentionally having a family vs having a whatever attitude about sex and babies is what breeds some behaviors..I sure hope I am making sense!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,973,464 times
""The president of the Charlotte branch of the NAACP today publicly asked Mayor Pat McCrory to apologize for remarks he made about African-American youth last week.

McCrory had written a letter to the city manager congratulating police on their efforts during the July 4 celebration. In the letter he also wrote "too many of our youth, primarily African-American, are imitating and/or participating in a gangster type of dress, attitude, behavior and action.""

I see absolutely no contraversy here except for the fact that the NAACP is making a big deal about it. And no, I would NOT have left out the words primarily African American because he is trying to pinpoint a problem that needs to be addressed. We need to STOP sugar coating, glossing over issues in the community that need to be changed.

Did he actually apologize? What is the update on this story? It's so infuriating sometimes....

Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 97,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
I think that is different though. Your mom didn't just not care if she got pregnant or not..does that make sense? I hpoe so..I don't know how else to explain it. I think that intentionally having a family vs having a whatever attitude about sex and babies is what breeds some behaviors..I sure hope I am making sense!
Oh, I agree.. I think we are actually on the same page. You see, I was saying that the cycle of pregnancy is due to a lot of different factors, not just NOT having a father. Not having a father is not the only problem (used myself as an example).

And to be frank, I know lots of people who were not planned and had single moms when I was growing up...but our schools and community fostered an emphasis on personal responsibility and achievement so we all worked hard to do our best. That is what I think is lacking in parts of Charlotte's AA community.

And to the above poster, the Mayor has not apologized and stands by his statement. I for one am glad!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,226 posts, read 4,487,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Oh, I agree.. I think we are actually on the same page. You see, I was saying that the cycle of pregnancy is due to a lot of different factors, not just NOT having a father. Not having a father is not the only problem (used myself as an example).

And to be frank, I know lots of people who were not planned and had single moms when I was growing up...but our schools and community fostered an emphasis on personal responsibility and achievement so we all worked hard to do our best. That is what I think is lacking in parts of Charlotte's AA community.

And to the above poster, the Mayor has not apologized and stands by his statement. I for one am glad!
There are oases in the desert of urban areas that foster this strong sense of community and have positive male role models that can consistently be there for a handful of kids- particularly many churches do this. The problem is very big even for the most well equipped groups.

Lack of fathers is the root cause that explains much of the downward path of urban black males. Nearly 100% of the kids that are in trouble have a father who was incarcerated, died violently, or is just plain gone and subsequently end up repeating history. Nearly 100% of urban boys (or boys in general) with strong male figures around them at a minimum graduate school and go on to a self sustaining member of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte